Any python/ren'py gurus coul help with dragonbones bindings?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
lobotomista

Any python/ren'py gurus coul help with dragonbones bindings?

#1 Post by lobotomista »

So dragonbones is a free and open source 2D skeletal animation program, with binding for many programs and progrmming languajes. Sadly python and ren'py are not one of them.

I would love to use dragonbones for my game but my expertise is mostly in other programming languajes, and just recently (this week) I started to learn python. So at best I could try to port the C# bindings to python and hope for the best. But from there I have no idea how would I make ren'py bindings.
It's my understanding that ren'py is made with some quasi-hybrid pygame made by pytom, wich is in itself a wrapper for SDL, so maybe the C++ bindings could be accessed with this? I'm afraid my knowledge of python is way to basic to understand this.

Any orientation/help anyone can offer?

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

Re: Any python/ren'py gurus coul help with dragonbones bindings?

#2 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

If dragonbones has *plain C* bindings, I think accessing them through ctypes will probably give you the best results. IIRC last time I tried to interface with a C++ DLL directly from Python I wound up getting weird crashes (because each C++ compiler has its own ABI, iirc.)
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Any python/ren'py gurus coul help with dragonbones bindings?

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I believe pytom has plans for a system similar. The Model displayable may be able to do this in future.

I think you can achieve it now though, using ATL and layeredimage though it is a fair bit of work depending on how much animation you need.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter