Problem with Atom after Ren'py update

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
thirstyoctopus
Regular
Projects: Romance Visual Novel story
Organization: Thirsty Octopus

Problem with Atom after Ren'py update

#1 Post by thirstyoctopus »

Hey everyone

I just recently updated Ren'py to version 7.4.8.1895 and using Atom as my IDE. However whenever I try to open the current project I've been working on for the past few months I get this error:
atom_error.png
I'm not entirely sure what this means, but I'm worried because all my settings and custom tags etc. are all set up with Atom and I don't want to lose them or not be able to use Atom as it's the IDE I've been using for so long. Has anyone else encountered this error, or have any idea how to fix it?

Thanks
Michael

bonnie_641
Regular
Projects: Código C.O.C.I.N.A.
Deviantart: rubymoonlily

Re: Problem with Atom after Ren'py update

#2 Post by bonnie_641 »

I had a very bad experience with Atom and after searching a lot I found VS Codium ( https://vscodium.com/ )
I have been using this editor for almost 1 year and I love it. I set it up so I don't get lost when writing code (because of the tabs).
vscodium.jpg
It took me a while to find the plugins I used in Atom, but performance and easy code visualization are key factors to write and read code without problems (to recreate my view I put a background XD).
I know that changing the editor is complicated (especially if you spent a lot of time configuring it), but it is worth the change.

There are many videos on Youtube with tutorials on how to configure this editor.
If you make the switch and need help, let me know and I'll help you set it up.
The only "disadvantage" is the language pack (if you don't read English), as you need to connect to the internet, give permissions for VS Codium to download the pack and install it. The rest of the plugins you download the .vsix and install it.
###############
The other option is to download Atom https://atom.io/ and configure everything you had with Renpy (and in Renpy in configuration you choose 'system editor').
I speak and write in Spanish. I use an English-Spanish translator to express myself in this forum. If I make any mistakes, please forgive me.
I try my best to give an answer according to your question. :wink: