Ren'Py on the DS Lite/Wiiware/DSi

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Ren'Py on the DS Lite/Wiiware/DSi

#1 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Can we do it? :P
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Ren'Py on the DS Lite/Wiiware/DSi

#2 Post by LVUER »

This has been discussed before. It's not possible in DS (Lite and DSi, since both has more or less same specs) because lack of memory.

Perhaps it's possible in WiiWare but I think it need some serious change and PyTom is the one who could do it... so it depend on him.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#3 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Mizu~u~u ... PyTom, if we can get these things on the iPhone app store, what's stop us from indie Visual Novel developers from taking over the world?

LOL.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Jake
Support Hero

#4 Post by Jake »

LVUER wrote:Lite and DSi, since both has more or less same specs
Actually, the DSi has approximately four times the RAM and twice the clock speed of the original DS. I believe the DS Lite has very similar specs to the original DS, but not to the DSi.

Obviously both consoles run the same games from the same cartridges, and from that point of view only need the same specs; however, the DSi was beefed up significantly to allow them to sell more demanding applications on the DSiWare online store.

And as it goes, I've seen a homebrew VN engine Fice wrote running on the DS a while ago, and there was another guy who did a DS VN engine (which I didn't see 'cause he was the kind of arrogant arsehole to refuse access to his site just because of the ISP I use), even the original DS was more than capable of the task RAM and CPU-wise. Hell, there are a number of commercial DS titles which are essentially just VNs - Phoenix Wright, etc.

The main reason it's not worth spending time developing something like Ren'Py for the DS is that there's simply no easy way for normal users to get arbitrary code running on their console, you have to get a cart published and signed by Nintendo. Same for the pretty much any home or portable console - you have to hack your hardware to run arbitrary code.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

lorddon
Regular

#5 Post by lorddon »

How open is the DSi marketplace? I don't expect it's as open as say the iPhone's but maybe Xbox Live Indie Games?
Discipline or Lack - My current projects and my progress on them.

#6 Post by Guest »

In short:

Not very open. Hell, that one guy (Bob's RPG?) had a hell of time.

But 2DBoy and World of Goo railroaded them... in a good way.