Ren'Py on PSP/PS2/PS3

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
ksotaku100
Regular

Ren'Py on PSP/PS2/PS3

#1 Post by ksotaku100 »

Noticing by the topic titled "Ren'Py on the DS/WiiWare/,etc., it just isn't right to put Ren'Py on the DS/Wii, no offense.

Most Japanese VN Studios already have VNs on PSP/PS2, and noticing by a certain YouTube video, this guy was able to run Fedora Linux on his Japanese PS3, I wondered if it was possible to run Ren'Py on the Sony Computer Entertainment consoles. That be awesome! :D So, could we do that?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py on PSP/PS2/PS3

#2 Post by PyTom »

If you were to download the source and compile it, you could probably get Ren'Py working on PS3 Linux.

But I don't plan to support this.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ksotaku100
Regular

#3 Post by ksotaku100 »

PyTom wrote:If you were to download the source and compile it, you could probably get Ren'Py working on PS3 Linux.

But I don't plan to support this.
That's not what I really meant. I meant on the PS series consoles alone, without Linux.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Best bet is with Minis program -- playable on PSP and PS3. The PS2 seems to be finally dying in the West (it's still calling all shots in the developing world, but with piracy that doesn't really matter.)

I hear PyTom has his own software company? But Sony is anal like Nintendo in that you need to have a real office for development (home offices don't count). In any case, the cost of entry is around 1200 Euros and a lot of small European and even an Indian studio took advantage of the opportunity to make small arcade games. The only disadvantage I see is with the 100mb size limit, which is really tricky to achieve for a full length visual novel with high quality art assets.

https://www.tpr.scee.net/AreaNewLicense ... 20LICENSEE

In any case, somebody's got to be the gatekeeper since closed platforms don't accept just anything. Ideally it would be the entity (company/person) who owns the devkit and goes through the submission process on behalf of the client developers.

I still believe the PC/Mac/Linux platform is superior in accessibility. It's just that it's like the iphone now in that there's too many choices floating around

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Tail

It also turns out that with the advent of digital distribution, people tend to gravitate towards familiar, comfortable choices due to the sheer amount of offerings nowadays. As a result, the current market is more hit-driven then ever, unless you manage to corner a specific hardcore niche. Bestsellers become further entrenched as bestsellers because they are listed on the front page, etc. And it's not necessarily because the rest are crap... because those who consume the long tail works tend to be well-read and well-versed in the medium. For example, the average person who reads an OELVN would have read Tsukihime or Narcissu or Higurashi, so his bar would have already been set high. While the first-time visual novel reader would go for hits like Fate Stay Night and be blown away by the first exposure.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#5 Post by MaiMai »

I prefer playing visual novels on the PC, but that's just my opinion :B
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

PSP and DS would never have enough VN. I mean it's hand-held. What else the perfect medium for a novel other than hand-held consoles?

Sin
Veteran

#7 Post by Sin »

Sony has dropped their support for Linux on PS3 Slim, btw.

ksotaku100
Regular

#8 Post by ksotaku100 »

Sin wrote:Sony has dropped their support for Linux on PS3 Slim, btw.
Oh, my god!!! How could they?! Is it that brand new one with a reduced price?

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#9 Post by JinzouTamashii »

They also tried to break backwards-compatibility.

"Hi, I'm a Sony! Open mouth, insert foot, shoot groin."
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

ksotaku100 wrote:Oh, my god!!! How could they?! Is it that brand new one with a reduced price?
I remember reading that there are now some government agencies hoarding PS3 Fats, since the amount of money charged for a Cell Processor + Motherboard + Ram + Ethernet + HDD there is thousands less than if you buy the parts separately.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ksotaku100
Regular

#11 Post by ksotaku100 »

PyTom wrote:
ksotaku100 wrote:Oh, my god!!! How could they?! Is it that brand new one with a reduced price?
I remember reading that there are now some government agencies hoarding PS3 Fats, since the amount of money charged for a Cell Processor + Motherboard + Ram + Ethernet + HDD there is thousands less than if you buy the parts separately.
Well, according to Wikipedia, the new model does not support third-party OS installation. But the 3rd Generation consoles and lower does. Why?!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by DaFool »

PyTom wrote:
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... =1&au=&ck=

Seems like they're still having trouble procuring the 160GB Fats, having reduced the original order from 2,200 to 1,700.

Also was mentioned elsewhere that while a Cell PS3 provides 150GFlops compared to 200 in a dedicated Cell; a single 1U server with 2 cells costs $8000 while 2 PS3s cost $600 and they do plan to use off-the-shelf commercial software as well.