Particle engine library [looking for coders]

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
biblioTecha
Discord: develephant#8016

Particle engine library [looking for coders]

#1 Post by biblioTecha »

Hi,

If this is posted in the wrong place, please file it appropriately ( hopefully not in the trash :) )

I have been looking into how to ease the pain of using the SpriteManager to make different particle effects.

At the moment it appears that the functionality is minimal, so I went in search of any Python based code that might be used to apply some of the math needed to create particle effects, or at least simplify the process. Mostly because I'm not great at math.

So I did find something interesting and have been attempting to refactor it for use with Ren'Py. But admittedly, my knowledge of both Python and Ren'Py is just starting (though I do have a long background in coding).

The library is called PyIgnition and it is about 99.9% pure Python, which I believe is what works best when bringing in external code. It was originally made for something called pygame.

Long story short, the current refactor is on Github, along with detailed information during my time combing through both the Ren'Py and PyIgnition code. If there are any high level coders looking for a challege you might take a look at the "pain" points in the issues.

There are really only 2 major ones if I understand it correctly. Someone with the right knowledge of Ren'Py might be able to solve them very quickly. Or, tell me I'm nuts. Either one works for me.

I personally think this might be a nice addition for the Ren'Py creator community if we can get it to work.

Anyway, the respository can be found here on Github.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

-dev