Things I should and shouldn't do?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Ixis

Things I should and shouldn't do?

#1 Post by Ixis »

I'm new to Ren'Py, but apparently there's a huge update coming that will change some things, including things that I was going to work on. The problem is I don't really understand what any of the updates are and how they'll affect my project. I do know that I want to have a widescreen game, and that with the new update there'll be opengl support which (I think) would allow for auto-resizing for various screen sizes? So should I be making my PNG images for widescreen, or 4:3 with forced black bars on the side? If I do it widescreen and someone fullscreens it on a 4:3 CRT monitor would it add black bars?

Lastly, I want to make my own custom menus, text box and maybe mouse pointer (all visual, adding nothing new.) Will these be changed?

Sorry, still reading through all the tutorials, but I want to start actually working on parts that won't be updated, changed or optimized.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Things I should and shouldn't do?

#2 Post by PyTom »

The rule is that Ren'Py 6.11 will preserve your game's aspect ratio, by making the window as large as it can while still fitting on the screen. So you can make it in 4:3, 16:10, or 16:9, and any one will work, with black bars being added as appropriate when the monitor has a different resolution than the game.

6.11 will make customizing the menus and text box easier, but the old code will still work fine.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Ixis

Re: Things I should and shouldn't do?

#3 Post by Ixis »

PyTom wrote:The rule is that Ren'Py 6.11 will preserve your game's aspect ratio, by making the window as large as it can while still fitting on the screen. So you can make it in 4:3, 16:10, or 16:9, and any one will work, with black bars being added as appropriate when the monitor has a different resolution than the game.

6.11 will make customizing the menus and text box easier, but the old code will still work fine.
Thanks for the response! Time to get to work :P