Mameo

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Mameo

#1 Post by PyTom »

Looks like Ren'Py was ported to Mameo phones. I wasn't involved, but looks good to me.

http://yuenhoe.co.cc/blog/2010/06/renpy ... okia-n900/
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

Re: Mameo

#2 Post by usul »

Very cool!
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

News like this restores my faith in humanity.

Now I am even more motivated to make open-source SRPGs free to port to open platforms.

IceD
Veteran

#4 Post by IceD »

That's one of a hell news for me and it propably already made my day :)

N900 uses a 600mhz cpu with dedicated gpu for OpenGL support. It's interesting to hear that the games run on it quite well, assuming they weren't even optimized for such devices and they run straight-as-they-would-be on a PC. So, this means that the current port, with a bit of optimisations might work even far more decent?

Also, I'm just wondering if you already heard about samsung's new Bada OS for the 3g smartphones, Pytom. New Wave runs on it and I already had the opportunity to play a bit and I'm very impressed - it seems that it runs far more faster than any Android and Wave is a really, REALLY decent phone. AFAIK Bada is quite similiar to Android - they're all based on the same linux distro and with it's already highly increasing popularity it might overcome Android in the near future - it's just far more powerful. I'm just wondering if there would be a possibility for official Ren'Py port on those phones and systems, because both Bada and Wave have big potential, or even maybe try to gamble a bit and risk making port for those, instead of android? I'm sure that Bada will soon take the lead with it's pontential and functionality. This might be a new revolution :)

Seeing Ren'Py on that would be epic awesome, especially with those new Amoled screens :D

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

On a whim I went to various cell shops last week and for each brand (i.e. Samsung, etc.), I only saw one display model that ran Android. The problem with these "Non-Apple" devices is that they're quite inconsistent in the operating system they're running.

IceD
Veteran

#6 Post by IceD »

At least Samsung already stated that their future models will run on Bada, so they're turning Android off their market. It's their creation, after all so I won't be arguing about anything and their moves are clear. As for now, there are some "fair" standards for most of actual high-grade smartphones - most of them have 512mb-1G of memory, run on 600-1000mhz cpu's and work on 800x480 resolution displays, so it's not that oblivious. It's a matter to make a responsible choice and take a proper step with such porting. Linux-based applications are quite flexible and there are many possibilities of running Ren'Py on such devices. If this guy was able to make such a port, there's a high propability of success with any other ports.

Nothing's impossible :wink:

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#7 Post by number473 »

Since they're mostly Linux-based, wouldn't it be possible to have a single version run on all/most of them. Like the way that the current Linux version runs on any type of Linux. I'll have to admit that I don't know what inner workings are going on there.
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

IceD wrote:At least Samsung already stated that their future models will run on Bada, so they're turning Android off their market.
That's not what I've been hearing. They seem to have quite a few Samsung Galaxy phones in their pipeline.
number473 wrote:Since they're mostly Linux-based, wouldn't it be possible to have a single version run on all/most of them. Like the way that the current Linux version runs on any type of Linux. I'll have to admit that I don't know what inner workings are going on there.
The answer is no. Each variant of Linux (on a phone) accesses the screen and buttons a little differently. So I have to work around that.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom