Ren'Py Gripes

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Verity
Regular
Projects: Wanderer

Re: Ren'Py Gripes

#16 Post by Verity »

This is mostly for the dev app for Macs—would it be possible to get the cmd+H-to-hide shortcut implemented? Also, some Sparkle support for automatic updates would be nice, if that could be worked in somehow.

backansi
Veteran

#17 Post by backansi »

The old 'new gallery' code in cookbook is too hard to understand to non-programmer.
(I've tried to make that easier to use and yes, failed...)
If some kind of ui function for gallery is possible it'll be really more than just nice.
The following is just my imagenary code.

Code: Select all

ui.gallerybutton('image.jpg')
ui.gallerybutton(('image1.jpg', 'image2.jpg'), dissolve)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#18 Post by jack_norton »

Verity wrote:This is mostly for the dev app for Macs—would it be possible to get the cmd+H-to-hide shortcut implemented? Also, some Sparkle support for automatic updates would be nice, if that could be worked in somehow.
That's very nice :)
Actually the autoupdater I made should work, but if the Mac app is built "bundled" (inside a package) and not like the old way it won't work (can't extract the .zip inside the bundle). I think would be nice if would be possible to choose if to build the mac app in the old way ?
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

#19 Post by Alter »

It's not a big deal but
http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.h ... statements
...Here's an example of a save screen that uses imagemaps.

screen preferences:    // preferences, not save

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#20 Post by jack_norton »

Another feature that now I think should be pretty simple to implement with GL, is a ATL parameter like xmirror / ymirror to mirror any image on x or y axis. Useful to add some variety to sprites without having to manually flip them in photoshop :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#21 Post by papillon »

One thing that annoys me about RenPy is getting dropped out of the game completely and without warning when an error happens. BOOM, game gone, traceback.txt onscreen, and user fumbling to remember where exactly they were and what exactly they did to make that happen.

It occurs to me to wonder whether, given the existence of rollback, it would be possible to engage a mode in which games could go "Oh Crap An Error" and roll back to a non-erroneous point, giving the user a chance to save their game and make a note of what they're doing that's going boom.

I have no idea how possible that is. :)

backansi
Veteran

#22 Post by backansi »

Screenshot function captures not only game screen also custom mouse cursor when it is set.
Well, I don't know if it's out of control thing or not.... but probably someone wants screenshot image without cursor.

LinWest
Regular
Projects: Painted Walls, Pyrexia, & a secret

#23 Post by LinWest »

Minor thing. When copy-pasting text into jedit, pasted quotations don't count as programming quotes. It particularly annoying if you don't write script on another application and want to paste what dialogue you have, you have to go back to every line and retype in the quotations marks for renpy to recognize them.
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on:

Jake
Support Hero

#24 Post by Jake »

LinWest wrote:Minor thing. When copy-pasting text into jedit, pasted quotations don't count as programming quotes.
That's a 'problem' caused by whatever you're copy/pasting from. They're actually separate characters with separate character codes - if you're typing in (for example) Word, then Word will automatically change your plain double-quote (") character into the traditional '66' and '99' open/close double-quotes (“/”). JEdit is behaving completely correctly in this respect, and any change to make it 'easier' would actually also make it 'broken'.

If you don't want it to happen, then you need to modify the settings in whatever program you're copying from to use plain double-quotes instead of auto-replacing them for you. IIRC in Word this is something you can turn on/off in the AutoCorrect options, which off the top of my head is in Tools; in other editors there's probably a different way to do it, or it might not even be possible. For the purposes of programming, you must always use the plain double-quotes, not the 66/99 open/close versions. Same with single-quotes; the simple rule is that these are the versions of the quote that you can type on a normal American keyboard layout.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#25 Post by Jo'ogn »

Jake wrote:Another relatively-minor thing: when using the keys to navigate on-screen UIs, hitting 'up' from the top-most item doesn't reach around the screen and bring you to the bottom-most option. With image-maps and the like it might not be the most intuitive behaviour but it probably wouldn't annoy people either, but with things like menus it's usually expected.
I only recently noted that too.

Somehow the constant changes on Ren'Py, make me rewriting my game's code instead of continuing the games themselves o_o I guess that what I am getting for being so slow.
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

Mikan
Veteran

#26 Post by Mikan »

get a better community with less backwards people
Last edited by Mikan on Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#27 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#28 Post by Jake »

mugenjohncel wrote: Edit:
This is a very strange question but is it possible in Ren'py to dictate where the save data goes?...
Check:
config.save_directory
config.savedir

As I understand it:

- If you just want to make sure that your game's saves go in the same place (or don't go in the same place) as another game's saves, then you should be able to just use config.save_directory.
- If you want to be able to completely control exactly where the saves go, use config.savedir... but you have to do it in a 'python early' block:

python early:

config.savedir = '/Users/jake/saves'
... however, the problem with setting that variable is that paths are different on different operating systems, so if you write a Windows directory in there, it won't work on Mac or Linux. Localised versions of operating systems might also have slightly different paths (e.g. 'Programmi' instead of 'Program Files' on an Italian install of Windows).

For example, the default save path under Windows is "/RenPy/<game save dir>" under your user's Application Data directory. On Linux, it's "~/.renpy/<game save dir>". On the Mac, it's "~/Library/RenPy/<game save dir>". The code that Ren'Py uses to determine the default path looks a bit like this (adapted from the actual code, which is in the function starting on line 39 of renpy.py):

python early:
    import os
    import os.path
    import platform

if platform.mac_ver()[0]:
        p = "~/Library/RenPy/" + config.save_directory
        path = os.path.expanduser(p)
    elif sys.platform == "win32":
        if 'APPDATA' in os.environ:
            path = os.environ['APPDATA'] + "/RenPy/" + config.save_directory
        else:
            p = "~/RenPy/" + config.save_directory
    else:
        p = "~/.renpy/" + config.save_directory

config.savedir = path
(Except that possibly wouldn't exactly work because 'config.savedirectory' might not be set yet.)

So I guess if you wanted to set an existing path, you could copy the above code and change the bits that set the 'path' variable to the appropriate place on each OS, for example:

python early:
    import os
    import os.path
    import platform

if platform.mac_ver()[0]:
        p = "~/Library/Mugen/saves"
    elif sys.platform == "win32":
        if 'APPDATA' in os.environ:
            path = os.environ['APPDATA'] + "/Mugen/saves"
        else:
            p = "~/Mugen/saves"
    else:
        p = "~/.mugen/saves"

config.savedir = path
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#29 Post by pkt »

GUI interface...Something I can drag and drop things into...

And a simple way to make a general ui style. Like editing a tilemap or something.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

Mihara
Regular

#30 Post by Mihara »

If you really want a GUI that you can drag and drop things into, Novelty might be more up your alley. I think that overemphasising a GUI and visual editing detracts from the strengths RenPy does have, which is it's programmability.