Ren'Py Gripes

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
backansi
Veteran

Re: Ren'Py Gripes

#61 Post by backansi »

Want to use focus_mask property with screen language imagebutton statement :D.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#62 Post by LVUER »

When playing at work, you should mute all the sound anyway (I doubt your boss would let you listen to MP3s anyway). Because with no sound, you could hear your boss footstep miles away...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#63 Post by PyTom »

backansi wrote:Want to use focus_mask property with screen language imagebutton statement :D.
This will be in 6.12.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#64 Post by pinkmouse »

I realize that you're super busy with the work on RenPy 7, but please would you consider taking the time to fix the Tutorial game?

A lot of the demo game doesn't have that slide-up overlay window which shows the code examples yet, and with no means of accessing the script to study the syntax, the tutorial doesn't actually, er, *teach*.

Please would you consider re-instating the "open file" button on the Tutorial game? (I mean the on-screen button which, when clicked, opened the relevant script file.)

I'd like to suggest that when the Tutorial game is actually finished (with all those cool slidey-up code windows) the "Open file" button should still be there, because it offers a beginning RenPy game maker an "Author's eye view" of what the completed file should look like, and I found that comparing the tutorial script file with my own (usually non-functional one) helped me track down mistakes that I didn't know I was making. The slide-up code examples are useful, but offer more of a "keyhole view," I feel.

As a quick, rough and dirty fix, I'd settle for a text-file which listed the Tutorial topics in the game and told me which file to manually open in the folder.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#65 Post by Aleema »

You can hit SHIFT+E to jump to the script from the line you're on. I agree I miss the on-screen button, though.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#66 Post by jack_norton »

I think some time well spent would be to make several tutorials for screen language. I used to use only python function, and now I'm trying to learn it but some things are really hard to get, like for example I cannot set a variable inside a screen (I set it and then in the main program that variable is still null).
I don't understand honestly why you can't just do $var=0 instead of using an Action ? :oops:

Another bug: when I have a game in bug and the texts "press right click to exit / click to reload", the game window resizes down automatically without me doing anything! (not always, happens sometimes but very often)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#67 Post by pinkmouse »

Aleema wrote:You can hit SHIFT+E to jump to the script from the line you're on. I agree I miss the on-screen button, though.
Sorry, I just tried that, and it doesn't work on my system (Windows 7). Jedit opens up the appropriate file, but it's blank.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#68 Post by Aleema »

Yeah, I've found it's hit-and-miss for me, too. It does work sometimes, though. :)

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#69 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

Why is it that for loops can be used everywhere except plain renpy blocks, even though if and while blocks can be used pretty much anywhere?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#70 Post by PyTom »

KimiYoriBaka wrote:Why is it that for loops can be used everywhere except plain renpy blocks, even though if and while blocks can be used pretty much anywhere?
A fair question. The reason is that a for loop creates an intermediate object known as an iterator. Many of these iterators can't serialized, and so Ren'Py isn't able to save them. Since Ren'Py won't save in the middle of a Python block or screen, those don't have this problem.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#71 Post by Watercolorheart »

Fucking hell, you know what my gripe is? I use multiple .rpy files.

When the game crashes, Ren'Py bugs out and "helpfully" opens all my code .... in a New Jedit window.

2 hours later, I notice that I had 45 instances of Jedit running. No wonder my computer was so slow!
I'm not even the same person anymore

backansi
Veteran

#72 Post by backansi »

I wish I could keep text window during transition.
Of course I know _window, but as you know that is for showing "blank" one. I want to preserve window with previous dialogue.
I read some topic and made a function for it but I hope that there would be a simpler way.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#73 Post by jack_norton »

I agree, would be nice to have an option to keep the window and its actual content on screen during transitions :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Chorvaqueen
Regular
Projects: ID: Recollection

#74 Post by Chorvaqueen »

I can't have questions as titles. :| grr

Is there any way of that appearing on your title bar without renaming your project folder with a prohibited character "?" ?

[edit]

already found how, silly me. carry on.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#75 Post by netravelr »

Having a function to redraw a specific screen without calling restart_interaction() or ui.interact() because sometimes you want to have a screen update while you're not messing with it.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash