Ren'Py Gripes

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Ren'Py Gripes

#436 Post by papillon »

Unless I'm missing something (always possible), side images with tags don't sensibly behave in the same way that normal images with tags do.

show image functionality will assume that the unmentioned tag remains unchanged, so that the example

Code: Select all

# Basic show
show mary night sad

# Since 'mary night happy' is showing, the following statement is
# equivalent to:
# show mary night happy
show mary happy
works. However, side images next to dialog don't work like this. If (assuming I have the correct side images for this) I do

mary night happy "Oh, what a lovely night!"
mary sad "But I'm all alone."
On the second line of text, no side image for Mary will appear at all, because it didn't find an unambiguous match for just sad. I have to explicitly say 'mary night sad' to make a side image show up.

It would be nice not to have to specify the entire list of tags every time my main character speaks.

The game does 'know' what the side image is set to, since it will continue using the same one unless otherwise instructed. So shouldn't it be able to use that information to determine the correct thing to change to?

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

request: zoom_anchor

#437 Post by Kia »

please include a zoom_anchor in the next versions if possible. you can see an example of where it might come handy here
Edit: since the zoom object changes size a zoom_pad might be useful as well.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#438 Post by PyTom »

Sorry, zoom anchor and zoom pad? Can you post what you think those should do? I can't figure it out from that thread.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#439 Post by Kia »

for zoom_anchor:
imagine an image that is already aligned to the side and you want to have a zoom animation that happens towards the center of image and not the anchor point (check the first posts code in a game)
for zoom_pad:
it might have little use but like rotate_pad it prevents the parent frame or window deform when the zoom animation is happening.
I can make some code demonstrations if you want

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#440 Post by xela »

I cannot follow zoom pad idea, size of the displayable actually changes when you use zoom over it, when you rotate, pad changes but size of the displayable itself remains the same.

For anchor, zoom behavior changes when different anchors are used, the request is basically to add new field to be used with zoom that would allow keeping positional anchor the same and use "zoom" anchor to control that behavior.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#441 Post by Kia »

demonstration attached, sorry if I'm terrible at explaining ^_^
Attachments
game.zip
(644.88 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#442 Post by nyaatrap »

It's convenient if anchor for positions and anchor for zoom&rotate are independent. While the former usually takes different values, but the latter almost always takes (.5,.5)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#443 Post by papillon »

More of an idea than a gripe - would it be possible to add alt-text to image buttons, so that they could have a description to read out in self-voicing mode?

To truly be playable blind a game would still need a lot of extra design elements, but this bit wouldn't require much work on a dev's part.

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#444 Post by ISAWHIM »

Taju wrote:I would like to suggest putting more examples in the documentation. Preferably after almost every feature...
... new documentation feels like something advanced coders probably understand really well but is not as accessible to complete beginners.
I would ask, for a potentially better "less work" option... (Well, less if the issues are being addressed, as they are presented.)

Link each topic and sub-topic to a designated forum-thread. Use an "Ask about this topic", button/link, which take us right to that designated thread. (This would NOT be an area we normally see in the forums. But it would show in our "your postings" page, and "notifications", if someone replies to the same topic, by default.) Pruning heavily, any resolved or fixed issues.

We can ask, the less obvious questions that others have not asked, on that exact topic. We can also, possibly, submit "sample code", or offer suggestions for better clarity, and/or point-out specific issues on that direct topic relation.

You (Tom or designated help-file admins), can review the few things that people are "still asking", and address the issue in the help-file, so they no-longer have to come and visit the thread anymore.

Working backwards, (Tom or designated help-file admins), can jump right to the help-page, sub-topic, without anyone having to post a link. They can immediately attempt to resolve the issue, if there is one, and ask the normal "forum thread users", for assistance, if needed. (Since a programmer is not always the best person to address non-programmer clarity.)

Another suggestion would be to do something like Microsoft and PHP and other languages do with help-files. Attach a chatter-box at the bottom. (They usually have a single page per function, not a group-all page with this feature.) Forum members can post extended sample code, using real-world uses of the code/function in question. Which would be heavily moderated, to reduce irrelevant posts. Not like it would be a frequently visited area, but those who find new tricks, or a better way to understand the topic, might come back to "spread the word".

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#445 Post by PyTom »

papillon wrote:More of an idea than a gripe - would it be possible to add alt-text to image buttons, so that they could have a description to read out in self-voicing mode?

To truly be playable blind a game would still need a lot of extra design elements, but this bit wouldn't require much work on a dev's part.
That's already possible - like all buttons, imagebuttons take and "alt" property.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#446 Post by nyaatrap »

Hi. Is it possible to launch the Tutorial game in Japanese by default when the launcher is set to Japanese?
It'd be good for beginners to play the tutorial game in their own language if they are available, without opening the preference screen.

(If it's done, then I think I'll translate the question into Japanese when it's updated to the current syntax, if it'd be useful for Japanese ren'py user. )

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#447 Post by PyTom »

That's a great idea. I'll add that ASAP.

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#448 Post by ISAWHIM »

image, alone, can not accept image properties
and...
Position() does not accept "anchor" and "pos" tuples. (Not sure about others that are used.)
and
AlphaMask() demands an "alpha" channel for any alpha function to work. One would assume that a simple greyscale image could be used as the alphamask image, and it can not. Not much of a hindrance to push the greyscale to the alpha and paint the image black, to save file-size... But a greyscale PNG, for some reason, can't have an alpha-mask in my paint program. Even though the alpha-mask is just a greyscale image. (That's an oddity, but not a RenPy oddity. :P)

Some people might not know how to make an alpha-mask, or might make one, but also retain the 24-bit/32k image (or larger) in addition to the mask, leading to 2x bloated image sizes.

I would like to try using a JPG greyscaled, as an alpha-mask, but RenPy doesn't read JPG with an alpha-mask and my program doesn't save alpha-masks to JPG anyways, but other programs can. I can crush that to 1/100th of a PNG, data-wise. (I already reduced my overhead by 90% using JPG for the image and just a PNG alpha for the alpha, compared to using just a simple PNG alone. But 99% reduction would be better. lol.)

My worst offending PNG was about 3,649KB, with the alpha-mask.
As a JPG with 80% quality, (20% reduction), and a separate PNG alpha-mask, it was only 65KB and 66KB = 131KB (3.6% of the original file-size, 96.4% reduction.)
Finally settled with something closer to 85% quality (15% reduction), which bumped it back up to about 90% total reduction. (Purely psychological.)
Eg, I turned my 10GB game into about a 1GB download, after all was said and done.

Samples:

label start:
    image test1 = "test1.png"
    #Would expect/like something like this to work...
    #(Minus the "at", which would look like an "image attribute". Even though they are actually attributes, just not what RenPy calls an attribute.)
    #image test1 = "test1.png" Position(anchor=(0.5,0.5), pos=(0.5,0.5))
    image test2 = AlphaMask("test2.jpg", "test2.png", anchor=(0.5,0.5), pos=(0.5,0.5))
    image test3 = Image("test3.png", anchor=(0.5,0.5), pos=(0.5,0.5))

window hide

#Needs xanchor, yanchor, xpos, ypos.
    show test1 at Position(xanchor=0.5, yanchor=0.5, xpos=0.5, ypos=0.5)
    pause

hide test1
    show test2
    pause

hide test2
    show test3
    pause

#Would also expect these to work, since test2 and test3 is essentially "these"... but it doesn't
    #show AlphaMask("test2.jpg", "test2.png", anchor=(0.5,0.5), pos=(0.5,0.5))
    #... (more similar functions on the page below) ...
    #show Image("test3.png", anchor=(0.5,0.5), pos=(0.5,0.5))
    return
Also... somehow, please link these two pages together... (It is difficult to find the two alone, and both are sort-of hand-in-hand requirements for "images" to be displayed.)

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/displaying_images.html
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/displayables.html

Also... lol...

The "list of images from the '\images\' folder"... Is there a way to access that list of images, which RenPy has pre-setup as 'image _____'. (The new feature that pre-defines all images in that folder. I found the option to disable it, but I don't want to disable it.)

Also... :P

Can you let us tell RenPy which OTHER folders, and/or sub-folders to include for similar pre-defined images. (Not sure if I saw a setting for that, or if it already does that, or just peeks around when asked, for similar image-names.)

Wish-list item here too...

Assume images "xxx.jpg" and "xxx.png" are a potential mated pair, for use in AlphaMask(). (Thus, if only one name is given, without an extension used, and both types exist, each goes to the assumed location.)

Bonus if that extended to "show xxx", if xxx is not specifically defined. So AlphaMask() doesn't have to be typed at all. Since there would be no other reason to have one filename with two extensions in the images folder, with RenPy's auto-define working. (Since auto-define normally would have selected PNG over JPG anyways, when two exist. Thus, if auto-define is turned-off, it would NOT assume that, obviously.)

How it is now... AlphaMask() or Image()... same same...

image test1 = AlphaMask("test1.jpg", "test1.png", pos=(0.5,0.5), anchor=(0.5,0.5))
You could actually get rid of Image() and AlphaMask(), if you just did this...

image test1 = "test1.jpg", mask="test1.png", pos=(0.5,0.5), anchor=(0.5,0.5)
"mask" being an optional attribute, including the other attributes, obviously... comma's shouldn't be needed, but accept them if they exist... That still gratifies the input expected.

image test1 = "test1.jpg" mask="test1.png" pos=(0.5 0.5) anchor=(0.5 0.5)
If you assume a second name, without an "=" is the mask... (Because it would not be anything-else.)

image test1 = "test1.jpg" "test1.png" pos=(0.5 0.5) anchor=(0.5 0.5)
Now you just reduced three/four things into one. (Less to type, document and one location in the help-file says it all.)

Now, if you "assumed" the matching pair was the mask... (Super simplified and it still works without a mask-image too. Obviously.)

image test1 pos=(0.5 0.5) anchor=(0.5 0.5)
test1 being the solid image test1.jpg and test1.png being the assumed mask, if it exists. With the rest being normal attributes. (That now makes this a predefined image-set. If not defined, "show test1" would show the same image masked, just at the default Position() when shown, unless "at Position()" was used, obviously, or just "show test1 pos=(0.5 0.5)" etc...)

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#449 Post by plaster »

Ability to add a hover_sound and hover_mouse to text styles please!! For hyperlinks!! :V

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#450 Post by PyTom »

plaster wrote:Ability to add a hover_sound and hover_mouse to text styles please!! For hyperlinks!! :V
Makes sense. Done.