Touting

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: Touting

#16 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote: Hm... how about Flash/renpy.flash? I've seen that name used in web frameworks for a similar feature.
I'd agree that this would probably cause people to assume Ren'Py had Flash integration...

Perhaps 'bubble'? It's what the little transient pop-ups Windows draws from the system tray application notification area often get called, at least around here...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#17 Post by Aleema »

I like flash. I can get over it reminding me of Adobe. *2 seconds later* Yeah, flash is fine. :)
But I love a good brainstormin', so: plug, guide, aside, alert, signal, shout, notice, burst, prompt, I could go on ...

Jake
Support Hero

#18 Post by Jake »

Aleema wrote:I like flash. I can get over it reminding me of Adobe.
I can get over it myself, I just suspect that if it were called that, the forum would suddenly grow a lot of posts which go something along the lines of "I can't get renpy.flash to work, where do I put the flash file?!". Again, it's not a particularly descriptive name for the feature either, so it doesn't seem like a good choice to me.

On the whole, people don't read documentation, and when they do read it, they only pay attention to the parts they think are relevant to them - witness the number of times people have thought that defining an image with an 'image' statement should be enough to get it to show on the screen, for example. So it behooves the API designer to make as many methods do what people would generally expect them to do as possible.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

#19 Post by Melkoshi »

I would seriously love this function. This was one of the things I was trying to implant aswell(a short flash on the screen and then fades on it's own without clicking.) I'd used it for changes in day/location for my rpg. The quick save note and millions more are great ideas!

No idea for a good name though. Bubble, popnote, notice. Something common is what i'd recommend.(Honestly before this topic I never heard of "tout")
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#20 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

I like 'notify' best; 'notice', 'popup', or 'bubble' are all okay IMO, though bubble tends to imply that the message will be displayed in a rounded bubble. I generally think of 'tout' as referring to marketing, and 'toast', while cute, isn't very intuitive. I'd expect a 'flash' command to flash an image or color on the screen for a fraction of a second rather than keep a message up long enough to read it.

It's definitely useful to me - if PyTom doesn't add it, I'll probably wind up writing my own notify() function.
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#21 Post by PyTom »

I added it as renpy.notify and Notify, with a notify screen being what you customize if you want to change it's behavior.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#22 Post by LVUER »

Notify... not bad. I like it.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

IceD
Veteran

#23 Post by IceD »

A already gave my opinion on this few times earlier. DO WANT.

Honestly, it's few more steps to a our own FFD-esque system. Glad you're took some time to work on this, PyTom. Also, 'notify' doesn't seem a bad name for the function, although it feels like it covers only a bit of what it will be possibly able to do, so it might get a bit confusing later on. But it's not that bad, I quite like it :)

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#24 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Yes, Do Want. It'd help matters on a number of levels.

"Toast" as a noun has been made nearly interchangeable with the word "penis" in the Poser Community, and I've been hearing the reference more and more amongst the outside community as well. Drives me nuts, but there it is.

Notify works *much* better. Descriptive, short, and clear. All the hallmarks of a good Name.

EDIT: If you will, please keep the time delay short, say a slider from one to five seconds? Might be good to make it clickable for those users who want to make them go away faster.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)