Sorry for the venting....

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

Sorry for the venting....

#1 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

But is possible to find some means to help game developers to understand that Linux filename handling is CaseseNsitiVE ?

recently I have too many show-stopping issues caused by Linux not finding the files in Ren'py stories distribuited only as "all" package, because of mismatch of cases, and I'm starting to be fed up with this, definitively isn't pleasant to have the enjoying of good ren'ai interrupted and back to the term window.

once or twice with the smaller, and non-rpa'ed files I corrected the filenames via symlink, but after the umpteenth time of being more a betatester than a player I suspect I have all the right to be, sorry, really PO.

some feasible solution ought to be possible, and I'm confident that after the festivities Tom will look to the matter, but as we say in Italy "quando ci vuole, ci vuole", and being publicily vocal on the issue is sometimes needed, if not, as a venting of exasperation..

Tom, obviously you're free to delete this thread, but I hope that you can look into the issue....

Sorry for the venting, and

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Sorry for the venting....

#2 Post by PyTom »

I coulda sworn that this is one of the issues lint detects. I'll check into it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

Re: Sorry for the venting....

#3 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

PyTom wrote:I coulda sworn that this is one of the issues lint detects. I'll check into it.
I think the same, but I suspect the issue lies, as typical of tools for creative people, in people whose don't use lint, and generally keep much more attention to the artistic side (whose I agree is the best course) than the nuances of coding & programming...

As you known, I live in a country renowned for being the top-dog in artistic output since antiquity, but I sadly noticed the rather depressing lack of binary artistic output, and Computers are unique machines, being capable of handling all the nine Muses....

returning to the point, if my hypothesis is exact, creative people tends to ignore lint's warnings and go ahead, but OTOH if a form of compliance is forced, is a thing whose never ought to be done in tools for artists, trust me.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.