Status Update 1

Forum rules
This forum will become public one day. Do not post anything here that you would not want to see in the public forum.
Voight-Kampff
Veteran

Status Update 1

#1 Post by Voight-Kampff »

I wanted to take a moment and update everyone as well as introduce a concept that we intend on using in the story.

First of all, the writing for the Salima branch is completed and I'm currently editing it. It'll probably be a couple more weeks before it's all placed into Ren'Py and a reasonable approximation of a demo can be produced.

As for the concept I mentioned, it has to do with the branching aspect of the story.

To be honest, I've always had a hard time reconciling the multi-path nature of VNs. Yes, it's nice for the reader to have choices. But choices for the sake of having choices is, well, gratuitous. So, we debated the merits of balancing user choices with a more rigid storyline. In the end, what we've come up with it outlined below.

As you can see, rather than have a reader go through an introductory branch, make a series of choices and then have them play out one character's path, the reader will effectively only have four "paths" to go through. But on any given path, the reader experiences three distinct character branches.

I suppose part of this layout stems from the fact that Errant Heart was originally intended to be done in manga format, with chapters, story arcs and the like. There is a set story that I wanted to tell—And it involves multiple characters. But at the same time, it seemed important to provide alternate paths that represented different ways the main character might develop given user choices. Thus, this is the end result.

I mention all of this because I don't want people to be surprised once they start going through the various branches. After the Salima branch demo, likely, there will be an Eva branch demo—Which will take place immediately after the Salima branch, and will rely on events that unfolded in that branch.

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

Re: Status Update 1

#2 Post by CaesMRaenes »

So, to clarify what you had mentioned for myself, would it be similar to how the anime Baccano unfolded where the same story is told over and over through the eyes of different characters? Or is it the idea of giving user choices for the sake of controlling the plotline? Or am I missing something?
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#3 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Well, the basic idea is, instead of a reader going through an introduction and then going through the entirety of the story on one character's path, the reader will get to go through multiple character paths in a single play-through.

In this instance, the reader can make decisions in the intro that steer them into, for example, the Salima branch. That branch has a clearly defined beginning, middle and end, with conflict and resolution. But when the Salima branch is over, the story is not over. The reader seamlessly transitions into the next branch.

So, as you can see from the flow chart above, readers basically have four paths to choose from:

Intro -> Char 1 -> Char 3, v1 -> Char 5, v1
Intro -> Char 1 -> Char 4, v1 -> Char 5, v2

Intro -> Char 2 -> Char 3, v2 -> Char 5, v3
Intro -> Char 2 -> Char 4, v2 -> Char 5, v3

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#4 Post by sayuri »

Do the green and red branches indicate different narrators? From my understanding each middle box is learning about each character's involvement in the mystery introduced in the beginning. What I don't understand is how we'd be able to explore all the paths.

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#5 Post by Voight-Kampff »

The colors are just there to help keep things separated. The first person, NVL narrator is always going to be Lira.

A simple, succinct way of explaining this flow chart might be: The storyline of one whole branch encompasses three separate characters.

Just as any person IRL has to deal with many people and many problems, so too does Lira. Just because she wraps up a conflict with one character and a set of problems doesn't mean it's the end of her story.