Need artists for my project.

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

Re: Need artists for my project.

#121 Post by RemnantDream »

Damn this is still going on? -__-
SilverxBlue wrote:Uhhh, yeah platonicheart is a she and well she told me that she might get out soon, but she is not allowed to overwork herself anymore cause she is anemic.]
Awwh D: Poor platonicheart. I hope she gets better soon..

NewMember
Regular

#122 Post by NewMember »

Well I made most of the contract now I need a statement similar to one in fan-games and unlicensed games which states that service provider is under no obligation of a warranty period or maintenance period. Here is what my contract has now.

Supplement 2:
Interactive-specific
Terms and Conditions
I 1. SUPPORT SERVICES
I 1.1 Warranty Period. “Support Services” means commercially
reasonable technical support and assistance to maintain and
update the Deliverables, including correcting any errors
or Deficiencies, but shall not include the development of
enhancements to the Project or other services outside the scope
of the Proposal. During the first _________ (insert number) months
following expiration of this Agreement (“Warranty Period”), if
any, Designer shall provide up to _______ (insert number) hours
of Support Services at no additional cost to Client. Additional time
shall be billed at Designer’s regular hourly rate, then in effect
upon the date of the request for additional support.
I 1.2
Maintenance Period. Upon expiration of the Warranty Period and
at Client’s option, Designer will provide Support Services for the
following __________ (insert number) months (the “Maintenance
Period”) for a monthly fee of $________ [or Designer’s hourly fees
of $_____ per hour]. The parties may extend the Maintenance
Period beyond one year upon mutual written agreement.
I 2.
ENHANCEMENTS
During the Maintenance Period, Client may request that Designer
develop enhancements to the Deliverables, and Designer shall
exercise commercially reasonable efforts to prioritize Designer’s
resources to create such enhancements. The parties understand
that preexisting obligations to third parties existing on the date of
the request for enhancements may delay the immediate execution
of any such requested enhancements. Such enhancements shall
be provided on a time and materials basis at Designer’s then in
effect price for such services.

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#123 Post by Lotus »

The average person might not understand that O_o . For most commissions (but especially free art) a contract might not be necessary, just tell the artist you're commissioning exactly what you want to do with the art before you buy it. There, most of the problems you're having solved (unless one of you go back on your word).

(As a sidenote, it's one thing to make money off of art you payed for, it's another to make money off of art that was done for free. It feels like you're taking advantage of Platonicheart's niceness).

NewMember
Regular

#124 Post by NewMember »

Does anyone know what disclaimer I have to give if I don't want the artist to be obligated to to do a warranty and maintenance period. I have spent almost 7 hours writing and understanding it not to mention I had to learn how to use power point software aka libre office impress. This is just a part of it.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#125 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

O.O What did you do, copy a machine warranty?

I don't think that contract will be any good for you to use. I know you worked hard on it but, 1. It is full or jargon and 2. It is mentioning warranty and maintenance periods that don't really have anything to do with art 3. It isn't mentioning a lot of important information. A contract doesn't have to be over the top. What you need to do is:

1. First state all the information. Names, contact details and such and label them 'artist' and 'client'.

2. Outline the EXACT responsibilities of both the artist and the client. Once these are agreed to, you can not change. If you want to add or minus from it, a new contract must be written. It could be something like:

Artist's responsibility: -2 character sprites, 1 pose each, 3 outfits etc (include the exact details of what you want so an artist is aware of it) + 2 revisions.
Client's responsibility: -Client will pay $x at beginning of work and $x at completion. $x for each revision after the 2.

Make sure to include absolutely everything. You can't just change your mind with a contract. Include what you want done, what will be paid, conditions for revisions and when they will happen, what the files will be etc.

3. Create a timeline so you both know what you should be working with. It doesn't have to be complicated, but you may or may wish to add clauses for life issues. The artist can't help if a family member dies, but they should mostly stick to the timeline.

4. Decide who owns what, what the artwork can be used for, where it can be shown and what the compensation is.

5. Everybody dates and sign the contract to prove they agree to all the terms and everyone should keep a copy.

It doesn't have to be too complicated ^^'

clannadman

#126 Post by clannadman »

Above all, you should focus on making the actual game first, not on designing contracts that give you express permission to sell the artwork your artists contribute. The whole point of this forum is to help people interested in creating games (primarily visual novels), not to assist anyone in trying to sell artwork and so far you seem a little wrapped up in that process. Write the story first, then focus on character design, programming and completing your game. Once all that is out the way then you should focus on advertising and promoting your game. You can't start doing that unless you have some content to promote.

NewMember
Regular

#127 Post by NewMember »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:O.O What did you do, copy a machine warranty?

I don't think that contract will be any good for you to use. I know you worked hard on it but, 1. It is full or jargon and 2. It is mentioning warranty and maintenance periods that don't really have anything to do with art 3. It isn't mentioning a lot of important information. A contract doesn't have to be over the top. What you need to do is:

1. First state all the information. Names, contact details and such and label them 'artist' and 'client'.

2. Outline the EXACT responsibilities of both the artist and the client. Once these are agreed to, you can not change. If you want to add or minus from it, a new contract must be written. It could be something like:

Artist's responsibility: -2 character sprites, 1 pose each, 3 outfits etc (include the exact details of what you want so an artist is aware of it) + 2 revisions.
Client's responsibility: -Client will pay $x at beginning of work and $x at completion. $x for each revision after the 2.

Make sure to include absolutely everything. You can't just change your mind with a contract. Include what you want done, what will be paid, conditions for revisions and when they will happen, what the files will be etc.

3. Create a timeline so you both know what you should be working with. It doesn't have to be complicated, but you may or may wish to add clauses for life issues. The artist can't help if a family member dies, but they should mostly stick to the timeline.

4. Decide who owns what, what the artwork can be used for, where it can be shown and what the compensation is.

5. Everybody dates and sign the contract to prove they agree to all the terms and everyone should keep a copy.

It doesn't have to be too complicated ^^'
This currently incomplete below I think does cover all you point view it.Definitions for most stuff is included.
Attachments
Standard-Form-of-Agreement-for-Design-Services1 .ppt
(559.5 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#128 Post by lordcloudx »

Heh, if that's for this particular artist, no worries about the understanding bit. I'm taking the bar exams in November after all. I might have to revise your contract with some of my own stipulations, however and we could bargain a bit. Otherwise, it's simply a contract of adhesion.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

NewMember
Regular

#129 Post by NewMember »

Need a free main menu designer for non-commercial uses. The name of the game is english project. Will accept any kind of image for main menu.

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#130 Post by Elenakiara »

I'm just wondering, do artists profit from the deviant art sales or not?
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular
Projects: human instrumentality and vocals section

#131 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

It would be rather pointless if they didn't, wouldn't it. Here is a list of what you can make off each different sized print, although Premium members can increase or reduce the otherwise fixed 20%.
i have no signature and i must obscure game reference

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#132 Post by Elenakiara »

Well, that I know. xD I was mainly wondering if it went to NewMember's project in general or if he will share it with the ones who actually drew the images.
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular

#133 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

Elenakiara wrote:Well, that I know. xD I was mainly wondering if it went to NewMember's project in general or if he will share it with the ones who actually drew the images.
That appears to be up to NewMember exactly how the profit distribution goes. From that contract he posted, he's no obligation to render unto providers of content any more fees than what their initial contracted fee is worth, unless the material is further distributed in other works not licensed by the initial agreement (which would illegal anyway) In order to qualify to use DA's print services, you must hold the copyrights or represent the copyright holders, so again the exact distribution of profits rendered would have to depend on whatever agreement and rights they have assigned. Upfront it'll go to him, and from there, who knows.

NewMember
Regular

#134 Post by NewMember »

I also need an ink artist for miss see front page. I was wondering If anyone can trace her lines and color her.
Attachments
Her legs are backwards.
Her legs are backwards.
Miss Body.JPG
She is in one of the classrooms. All she does is lay down/sleep in her comforter/bed.
She is in one of the classrooms. All she does is lay down/sleep in her comforter/bed.

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular

#135 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

Dude, resize your images and buy a scanner. No-one's going to be able to trace anything with such bad pictures - you didn't even bother to take them as flat as possible.