[SAI]Art Teacher Wanted [Closed]

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

[SAI]Art Teacher Wanted [Closed]

#1 Post by Hayzel »

Tutorials and looking at figures do not help me. I need someone who will be willing to help me improve my SAI/drawing skills by giving me detailed instructions and "homework". I don't really have much else to say except that I want to be able to draw characters, CGIs and maybe even backgrounds.;-; Please help and don't waste my time with tutorials to DEVi or whatever because they don't help.

A better description of my problem:
I'm having trouble when I have to draw with SAI. My traditional drawings are always better than what they become after I get to Line art and coloring digitally. I'm not learning to draw, I'm perfecting my technique. I need someone to look at my work and going. "You're doing "that" and it isn't working so try "this". Screen captures and a few words don't help me at all. Someone with skype or another program that has the ability to show their desktop can easily help me. I could probably even get the help I need from someone who write descriptive instructions.

If you don't have anything nice to say don't post at all!
Last edited by Hayzel on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: [SAI]Art Teacher Wanted

#2 Post by LVUER »

Actually, the best teacher you can get is to experiment and practice by yourself. Don't rely on others too much since they are busy with their own schedule anyway.

Said that, I'm not a SAI user. I draw using FLASH.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#3 Post by Hayzel »

People learn in different ways. When it comes to art, I have to have guidance.

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#4 Post by EzzyAlpha »

Wait, do you want to learn to draw in general, or do you already know how to draw and want to learn to draw in said.
If you want to learn to draw, you can try joining this group http://gakuen-manga.deviantart.com/. I believe they have an open slot, and you'd get SAI practice.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#5 Post by Fawn »

I'm going to be making a Sai Ren'py tutorial soon when I have the time :) Hopefully that can help you. But as LVUER said, practice yourself- there are many things in life you'll have to learn on your own, you might as well start learning on your own with art.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#6 Post by LVUER »

Just so you don't misunderstood, it's not that I (or anyone else here I presume) hates or aren't willing to help you. If you ask question, you'll get answer sooner or later (like you could see from skill and development thread). But it's just you have to rely on yourself first before others.

Asking for art teacher is a bit... I don't know... doesn't show your effort to practice art.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Hayzel
Veteran

#7 Post by Hayzel »

Doesn't it though? It means I've been practicing so much that I feel that I need to get help~ You shouldn't assume things about people~

LVUER
King of Lolies

#8 Post by LVUER »

Asking pointer to something or asking specific things to do is one thing. But suddenly asking "Hey, help me!" or "Anybody want to teach me about this?" clearly shows lack of initiative from the asker (sorry for my bad English, btw, English is not my native language)

Some forum (not here though) even make a guide about "How to ask question" due to many people ask "bad questions". Some people even agree to never answer to those "bad" questions.

And people are busy. They have their own life and schedule. They can freely choose to answer your question or not. Some people could have no clue to answer some question (even though they know the answer) or simply doesn't answer because they know they don't have enough time or commitment to answer it.

Don't forget that like I said before, it's not that I don't want to help nor I don't want people to ask. I always answer and give help to people whenever and however I can (if I can, of course).

DeviantArt Account

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#9 Post by Fawn »

I'd have to agree with LVUER, again. Sorry.

It's hard to teach someone over the internet in most cases, specially art skills. Actually, a lot of art skills are just practice and learning how to use your hands. No one can teach you that in a way that you'll just instantly be able to know how to do it. They can give you guides on how to create structures, but they can't just take your hand and show you how to draw.

If you're looking to people on the internet to teach you magical drawing skills instantly, sorry, that's not possible even in real life. You have to actually practice with the guidance of written knowledge like anatomy books. Almost all of us on Lemma have learned how to draw on our own with minimal guidance- it just takes a long time.

It takes a lot less time when you actually practice and study your butt off though- Draw every day as much as you can. Draw on your notebooks, old homework, anything- just draw draw draw! Read books on drawing, anatomy... ect.

Sai will be the least of your problems if you want to be able to draw well. First there's the basics, the hard work you have to put off-screen... Having a program to draw on doesn't actually help your skills; unless you practice with it yourself.

Basically, you don't need someone to hold your hand through this process, you can do it on your own- and most likely will HAVE to to do it on your own.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

To make thing simple: just what is exactly your problem with art/SAI? Do you have problem with anatomy? Or you don't know how to use SAI? Or you can draw traditionally but don't have a clue about digital art?

My previous answer is only to answer about your "bad" question. If I really answer your question... then before you try to use SAI, you have to be able draw traditionally first. If you still don't know how to draw properly, don't know how to shade, still don't have a clue about anatomy... my advice is to stay away from SAI since it only serve to add your burden (you have to learn about to draw AND to use SAI).

About how to draw, I could only refer you to DA sites or THIS site -> http://www.mangatutorials.com/

DeviantArt Account

Hayzel
Veteran

#11 Post by Hayzel »

I'll just ignore all the stuff that is /very/ condescending and try to be a little more descriptive with my problem.

I'm having trouble when I have to draw with SAI. My traditional drawings are always better than what they become after I get to Line art and coloring digitally. I'm not learning to draw, I'm perfecting my technique. I need someone to look at my work and going. "You're doing "that" and it isn't working so try "this". Screen captures and a few words don't help me at all. Someone with skype or another program that has the ability to show their desktop can easily help me. I could probably even get the help I need from someone who write descriptive instructions.

Moving this to the first post.

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#12 Post by EzzyAlpha »

They're not being condescending. And like they've been continuously telling you, the only way to improve is practice. You're just being hard headed at this point.

Hayzel
Veteran

#13 Post by Hayzel »

You can be taught how to use SAI.

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#14 Post by EzzyAlpha »

Then read a tutorial, it's not that hard.

SAI is the most user friendly drawing program I've seen.

Hayzel
Veteran

#15 Post by Hayzel »

Never mind. I'll search on an art site, I'll get better help there.