Video animator for commission/free

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Lanford

Video animator for commission/free

#1 Post by Lanford »

Do you want an opening sequence for your Visual Novel?
Do you want an ending sequence for your Visual Novel?
Do you need to insert an animated cutscene during your Visual Novel which is impossible to create through your VN client's default effects?

Now you can!
:mrgreen:

I am a professional video editor looking for new, visually appealing and innovative material to place into my portfolio.
I figured many of the games I like to play - Visual Novels - actually have openings in which I know how to replicate the effects applied. Therefore, I am now offering my animation services for you, game makers.

The only job related to Visual Novels I did in the past was the opening sequence for roseVeRte's dUpLicity (Japanese version).
Fact: I knew very little when I did this job.

Since then I have been studying animation and I am now able to produce better results, like (examples) parallax or fluttering cloth/hair/etc.

Okay! Now that you know what kind of job I can offer, please read these advices carefully:

IMPORTANT
Before requesting a video to be made, please have all of the following materials ready beforehand...
1) Graphics (character, BG, text and/or specific fonts, any unique element).
2) Music and/or sound effects (I am able to produce mute videos, but it will look better if there's sounds to synch the video to).
3) Storyboard (I am unable to read what's on your mind, so please use your scripting/drawing capacity to tell me exactly when and how you want things to behave in the video).
I also need you to tell me which compression format and resolution you want the video to be (example: MP4 800x600).

Now you might be asking: "Nice, but can you do my game OP video for free?"
Yes, I can, but don't expect it to have any kind of special effects - if you want an ellaborate job, you must pay for it.

Pricing is set at USD $0,50¢ per video second!
That means if you want a minute-long opening, that's 60 x $0,50 = $30,00 USD.
Other examples:
A 30-second gameplay trailer highlighting your VN's main features: $15,00 USD.
A 15-second cutscene: $7,50 USD.

If certain scenes needs a high number of layers, animation or in-depth details, I will ask for a higher commission. Expect cost-per-second to raise from USD 0,75 to USD 2,00. New prices should be calculated only during such scenes.

"I am unhappy with X scene and Y effect, can you change the way it looks to Z?"
Sure! Revisions can be made anytime you want, for an extra fee of USD $2,00 per change.
Further details about the revision fee rule can be read here.

If payment is made in advance: I will work on the video full-time (6~8 hours a day, excluding weekends) and you will recieve the video in full-resolution.
If payment will be made after the video is produced: I will work on the video about 2~3 hours a day (excluding weekends), sending you a low-resolution preview when the video is done - if you feel satisfied with the result and no changes are to be made, you make the payment and I send you the full-resolution video.
All payments are to be sent through PayPal. PayPal fees will not be absorbed and should be paid by the client - please contact me for a precise quote before sending any payments.
All sales are final and refunds are not accepted.

Free Services: If you want a video consisting of only scrolling animation and fading transitions, I can do it free of charge. No revisions/changes are accepted for free videos.

And now the last question: Will you sell your Visual Novel?
If the answer is "Yes", there is no means of doing a video for free. Since you will find profit over my job, it's only fair to ask for profits myself.

IMPORTANT no.2
When using videos produced by me, please include in your game credits the following:

Code: Select all

Video Animation - Laura "Lanford" Almeida
http://www.kawek.com.br/lanford
Also, when agreeing I'm doing you a video, you allow me to use the video as I see fit for self-advertising purposes (such as posting these videos to my portfolio).

IN-PROGRESS JOB LIST
None at the moment! Please contact me through PM, e-mail or just replying here!

About queued jobs:
If more than one client requests my services, jobs will be done by order of arrival. No priority will be given to early-payers. I will not accept any kinds of bribes to place your job as top priority. For that same reason, new requests preferably should be announced as a new post to this topic. Of course, details regarding the video production can be arranged through PM.
Last edited by Lanford on Wed May 23, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently trying to write new stories~

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

Re: Video animator for commission/free

#2 Post by FatUnicornGames »

What a great service! I am not at the stage where I would need you yet, but I have you bookmarked for future reference.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#3 Post by Crocosquirrel »

I have a couple of large games running now that may have need of your services. Bookmarking for reference.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

Ridge Racer 4 music? You have my seal of approval already! :lol:

This will come in handy for making a trailer, et cetera. I'll get back to you when I have all the graphics ready.

Enigma
Veteran

#5 Post by Enigma »

Wow, these prices are so affordable. I wish I had the resources for an opening and I'd buy one now!!

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#6 Post by Gear »

I'm going to bookmark you as well. Not ready for cutscenes or an intro yet, but I will need one at some point!
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#7 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Impressive work. I hope I can recruit you in the future.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Lanford

#8 Post by Lanford »

Thanks everyone for being interested in this service! I didn't knew it would be popular so soon, I am looking forward your projects ˆˆ
SundownKid wrote:Ridge Racer 4 music? You have my seal of approval already! :lol:
Yeah, Ridge Racer Type 4 has some awesome music, on top of that it's very good to edit into it's beat :mrgreen:

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#9 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Book. Marked.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#10 Post by Gear »

Well, Lanford, you better not go running off from LSF, because you apparently have a lot of future clients...
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#11 Post by Anna »

The effects in the video for dUpLicity were pretty simple, so I'm wondering what a video would look like with the skills you have now :).

Also:
Lanford wrote:"I am unhappy with X scene and Y effect, can you change the way it looks to Z?"
Sure! Revisions can be made anytime you want, for an extra fee of USD $2,00 per change.
Does that mean that when you make a mistake, I pay for it? I mean, when I don't ask you to do another effect but ask you to make something more smooth or snow to fall the other way as it was intended for example. How will you ensure this is done in a fair manner?

All in all, interesting offer!

Lanford

#12 Post by Lanford »

Gear wrote:Well, Lanford, you better not go running off from LSF, because you apparently have a lot of future clients...
Oh don't worry, I have this topic as a subscription, so I'll be notified each time there's a new reply. Any questions should be answered soon enough.

Anna wrote:
Lanford wrote:"I am unhappy with X scene and Y effect, can you change the way it looks to Z?"
Does that mean that when you make a mistake, I pay for it? I mean, when I don't ask you to do another effect but ask you to make something more smooth or snow to fall the other way as it was intended for example. How will you ensure this is done in a fair manner?
Thanks for finding a flaw like this ^^;;

That rule was made in case the client wants to exchange the effect applied or add a whole new effect.

Example scenario 1: On the initial concept you thought it would look good to have the main character shown as a fade-in, but now you want the character to show up under a star-shaped mask. As this change will need to be done from scratch, add USD 2,00 to the total cost.

Example scenario 2: When introducing each one of the main characters, instead of having them static, you want them to blink their eyes. As animation will need to be generated for each single character introduction in the video, add USD 2,00 for each character.

Example scenario 3: You want the flower petals to descend slower or the raindrops to fall faster. As nothing new needs to be added, subtle changes like this should be free of charge.

Because having to change too much stuff takes time and effort, the rule was made so the client would not have me adding stuff up and down into their videos for free.

Also, the following terms and rules were just added to the top post:

->
PayPal fees will not be absorbed and should be paid by the client - please contact me for a precise quote before sending any payments.

-> If certain scenes needs a high number of layers, animation or in-depth details, I will ask for a higher commission. Expect cost-per-second to raise from USD 0,75 to USD 2,00. New prices should be calculated only for such scenes.

-> If more than one client requests my services, jobs will be done by order of arrival. No priority will be given to early-payers. I will not accept any kinds of bribes to place your job as top priority. For that same reason, new requests preferably should be announced as a new post to this topic. Of course, details regarding the video production can be arranged through PM.