Looking for an artist

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
SyberiaWinx
Regular

Re: Looking for an artist

#46 Post by SyberiaWinx »

Victoria, I might do that. However, I should also point out that this is not just for the cover, but also for reference pics of the characters, which will be used to make the covers.

This is a series. Art is something of a must. A book series of this nature wouldn't work well without art, and I've already sacrificed way too much to abandon that aspect now.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#47 Post by Sharm »

I should probably also mention that if you send a book to a publisher with artwork that isn't your own then they're extremely likely to just toss the whole thing. It's like saying "I'd like you to help me sell my book, but you have to ignore your years of experience and specialized system and do things my way". Even if the artwork is done by you they're likely to throw the art away before they look at your manuscript.

You should edit your new post to have absolutely no mention of the old artist, it scares new artists away.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#48 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Sharm wrote:I should probably also mention that if you send a book to a publisher with artwork that isn't your own then they're extremely likely to just toss the whole thing. It's like saying "I'd like you to help me sell my book, but you have to ignore your years of experience and specialized system and do things my way". Even if the artwork is done by you they're likely to throw the art away before they look at your manuscript.
I was kinda under the impression that it'd be self-published, though I could be wrong.

If you sent something in and got accepted, Syberia, you wouldn't have to worry about finding an artist yourself. 0':

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#49 Post by SyberiaWinx »

I don't know anything about that, but I'd rather have the art done beforehand.

And I'll keep the description. I want people to know what I've gone through, even if it's only a fraction of it.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#50 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

SyberiaWinx wrote:I don't know anything about that, but I'd rather have the art done beforehand.

And I'll keep the description. I want people to know what I've gone through, even if it's only a fraction of it.
The problem with that is that we sympathise with the artist, not you. Most of us have been in a nasty place where someone keeps asking for all these changes to our work (skirt lengh sounds super pendantic and it doesn't sound like you appreciated their effort at all because you just complain about any work they did do) and it makes us feel very unappreciated, it makes us hate drawing. And to start hating something you love because of someone else is horrible. It makes us dream of doing our own thing with our own ideas and that's when we walk away without another word. So it's best to get rid of it. It makes you sound controlling and bitter. You may not be, so it's best not to present yourself as such.

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#51 Post by SyberiaWinx »

If you sympathize with the artist, then that says bad things about you.: (

These pics were for reference. Inaccuracies had to be fixed. I would compliment the good, then point out anything that needed changed.

No matter what, her behavior was unacceptable. I know she was lying to me, and there is no excuse for ignoring me. She would put off doing the drawings while telling me she was working on them the whole time. I'd be waiting months for her to fix something incredibly simple, and then I'd get a drawing that was clearly rushed through and full of mistakes that had already been fixed ages ago, often even forgetting to fix the mistake that she was supposed to. I'm the one who should be frustrated, not her. She was never unappreciated.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#52 Post by Victoria Jennings »

SyberiaWinx wrote:If you sympathize with the artist, then that says bad things about you.: (

These pics were for reference. Inaccuracies had to be fixed. I would compliment the good, then point out anything that needed changed.

No matter what, her behavior was unacceptable. I know she was lying to me, and there is no excuse for ignoring me. She would put off doing the drawings while telling me she was working on them the whole time. I'd be waiting months for her to fix something incredibly simple, and then I'd get a drawing that was clearly rushed through and full of mistakes that had already been fixed ages ago, often even forgetting to fix the mistake that she was supposed to. I'm the one who should be frustrated, not her. She was never unappreciated.
No, it doesn't say bad things about her. She can't have known exactly how things went down between you two. She was pointing out, that as an artist who has been in situations that sound similar to what you described, it's easier to sympathize with her, because she'll automatically relate the story to her past experiences.

It's all well and good to feel frustrated about how things worked out. Still, you're trying to recruit people, not rant at them, and unnecessarily venting about things like that only leads to misunderstandings.

Besides, seeing as you two quit speaking with each other, you can never know your previous artist's side of the story now, can you? Basically, try to leave as many negative things out as possible. It'll help sell your post.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#53 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

SyberiaWinx wrote:If you sympathize with the artist, then that says bad things about you.: (

Do you see the number of times the other artists here have pointed out that your attitude towards artists was probably a reason for them leaving? Yeah? That's because we see the artist's point of view. You on the other hand do not come off well and you are the one telling the story. You really need to be more empathetic to other people if you wish to work with them.

Her behaviour is not unaccepatble, it was normal. That is the way most people react when they feel pressured into doing something they don't really want to do. Again, they owed you nothing. ANYTHING you got from them was more than what you had and should have been respected. You should have been grateful for anything she gave you in her free time. Instead you complain and ask for changes. If they don't want to do it, they don't have to and they never had to. Forgive and move on. Being bitter about it won't help you in the long run and is only going to cause a knee jerk reaction from every other artist who reads it.

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#54 Post by SyberiaWinx »

If you look at a post about how she strung me along for five years and ignored me repeatedly, along with all the other stuff listed, and say you sympathize with her, it does to me.

She doesn't have a side. I have spoken to her about this many times, and she would just make excuses that didn't make sense.

Her behavior IS unacceptable. As I said many times, she knew what she was getting into. And she could have just told the truth or even quit, but she did neither. Stop talking about it, since you clearly do not understand.-.-

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#55 Post by chocojax »

It may be normal, but it's still bad, how she made Syberia wait months on end for a simple re-edit. If she simply did not want to do it, why not just be straightforward? Saying, "I'm sorry, I don't quite have enough time for this/I don't want to do this anymore/I don't get anything from this, so I don't want to do this" saves a whole lot of time. Syberia waited five years(though you should've just told her "nevermind, I'll find a different artist" earlier, lol) for stuff back. \:

Though yeah, don't add that part into the other thread. x: It may ward other people away.

(This is an amazingly derailed thread.)
Last edited by chocojax on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#56 Post by SyberiaWinx »

I thought of her as a friend, and finding an artist is hard. Also, I was trying to be understanding.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#57 Post by Pyonkotchi »

SyberiaWinx wrote: And I'll keep the description. I want people to know what I've gone through, even if it's only a fraction of it.
no offense, but nobody really cares.
a simple "please make sure you're absolutely going to be dedicated, don't back out, keep in contact etc" would be enough

it makes the post too TL;DR.
people may or may not get biased opinions about you
and its just unnecessary. and then you scare everyone away

people aren't coming to your thread to hear your life story, they're coming to your thread because they are interested in a position as an artist

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#58 Post by Sharm »

Doesn't matter what she did or didn't do. Doesn't even matter that you had an artist before. What matters is that you're projecting hate at the people your asking for favors and if you want to get a positive response that has to stop.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#59 Post by SyberiaWinx »

I care, and I do think it's important for interested artists to understand what I went through with my last one. You don't have to agree, but my mind is made up.

h3llomiko
Location: The farms of Massachusetts. Or something like that.

#60 Post by h3llomiko »

I think the point that is being made from the artists point of view is that you'll have a lot of trouble finding an artist after writing that.
I mean, I read that and think to myself "I don't know if I would want to work with this person and even if this person would want to work with me."
I work as a free artist, and what happened to your artist reminds me of a pretty upsetting job I once had. Art block is hard to get over, and it is easily triggered by this sort of thing I think. And once your free artist starts getting blocked and discouraged, you can expect them to leave...

In the end, aren't you basically looking for concept art? It almost feels like the art being made at your request may or may not be included in the final project, and yet you seem to want really detailed stuff. If its just concept art, and I was the artist, I would feel pretty annoyed to just fix the length of a skirt knowing that it isn't always going to be seen. For VNs it might be more important but a novel? I wouldn't think so...
http://h3llomiko.deviantart.com/ RAWR! ART! Check it out X3
http://h3llomiko.blogspot.com/ BLOG! Haha and super boring if you haven't asked me to draw for you. I think XD But check it out to see what I have been working on if you're curious :D