Artist needed for novel series

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
SyberiaWinx
Regular

Artist needed for novel series

#1 Post by SyberiaWinx »

As suggested, I'm recreating this topic, so feel free to lock the old one. Or, people can just use the old one to make suggestions, because I don't want this topic to get derailed like that one was.

I'm looking for an artist for a novel series I'm working on-a murder-mystery centering around a teenage boy who moves to a small town and befriends four girls of different ages. Here is a sample of the story, and if you read it, please leave a review:

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3020173/1 ... ason_Trust

For the past five or so years, I've been painstakingly planning out a horror novel series inspired by the visual novel Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, also known as When They Cry. I had an artist working with me, tasked with drawing rough drafts of the characters, which would later be lined and colored. I thought of her as a friend, but she strung me along for these past five years, often making lame excuses. It would take her months to make simple changes, such as fixing the length of a skirt, and the final product was often rushed and sloppy, with mistakes not fixed and old ones even repeated, suggesting she had actually put it off and just hurried to draw it right then, as she had even forgotten so much stuff I had told her earlier. I do not have ANY usable stuff from her, really, and now she's recently started ignoring me. Since she finally has internet, this is frustrating. What makes it worse, is that I've been going through something similar recently-people agreeing to work with me and then ditching me.

There is no money involved at this point, and I can only really offer to beta or edit stories as thanks, but I am open to talking about the latter, if there is something else you want. Also, creative freedom for this varies, since I do have my own idea of how the characters should look. Only one of the five main characters are done, and they are my biggest concern right now. Other characters can be talked about at a future date. Here is what I am looking for:

-Someone who can draw anime-style characters. A good example would be those of the Higurashi Kai anime. I do have a completed drawing of one of my characters to provide for reference. The point of these drawings is largely to act as references for the novel covers.

-Someone with regular access to the internet who is good at responding to messages. I do not want another artist who ignores me for long stretches of time. If you have and often use IM, that is even better.

-Someone who has the right materials to make quality sketches and send them. You can't just draw it on a notepad and take a webcam pic.

-Someone who will not suddenly back out. Try and make sure you have enough time to do this. I don't want to be ditched, and I don't want to be strung along for months waiting for a sketch that will end up being rushed through.

-It might help if you can do scene pics, though that will not be an issue until after the main characters are down. For that, not being afraid to go a LITTLE dark might be helpful-such as a character looking insane or covered in blood.

I hope someone can help me, and I hope all the requirements haven't scared anyone off..: (
Last edited by Taleweaver on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double-posting

SyberiaWinx
Regular

Re: Artist needed for novel series

#2 Post by SyberiaWinx »

UPDATE: Okay, listen, people. This is serious and really important to me. After what I've went through, I did not appreciate someone from this forum pretending to be really interested, then suddenly ignoring me, even though I know she got my messages. This is not only rude, it is downright cruel. I ask that no one else pull a stunt like this, or I will report it to an administrator. Don't know that they will do anything, but no one wants to work with someone who behaves like that.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#3 Post by Razz »

SyberiaWinx wrote:UPDATE: Okay, listen, people. This is serious and really important to me. After what I've went through, I did not appreciate someone from this forum pretending to be really interested, then suddenly ignoring me, even though I know she got my messages. This is not only rude, it is downright cruel. I ask that no one else pull a stunt like this, or I will report it to an administrator. Don't know that they will do anything, but no one wants to work with someone who behaves like that.
I'm sorry but this is a common occurrence with working with free artists. There's nothing to get them to stay or commit hours of their free time to a project that is not theirs. What you posted here and in buprettyinpinks thread is pretty much putting a big red flag over your head for every artist not to work with you.

If you're really worried offer compensation or find someone with a proven track record of sticking around. You should never take this personally, because it isn't.

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#4 Post by SyberiaWinx »

Razz, that kind of thing ticks me off. It was the same thing in the other thread. SHE approached ME. SHE said she was interested. SHE wanted to know some stuff. And then SHE never replied again. Even if she had decided she didn't want to do it, she should have told me. What she did was rude and cruel, especially since she knew what that other artist had done. It's not right of you to act like she's the victim.

DeeKay
Veteran

#5 Post by DeeKay »

SyberiaWinx wrote:Razz, that kind of thing ticks me off. It was the same thing in the other thread. SHE approached ME. SHE said she was interested. SHE wanted to know some stuff. And then SHE never replied again. Even if she had decided she didn't want to do it, she should have told me. What she did was rude and cruel, especially since she knew what that other artist had done. It's not right of you to act like she's the victim.
Problem is, people come in different flavors, whether you like it or not.
When you're introduced to a stranger or a stranger approaches you, you're not sure what kind of person you're interacting with at first. In written form, it's even less noticeable.

Your reaction is understandable (especially if this project has been on your mind for years) but don't take it too hard, it just means you didn't find an appropriate person yet. So don't fall prey to frustration and anger, this will only make you lose focus even more.
It takes patience and self-control to carry on big projects so don't lose sight of your goal if it's that important to you.

Okay, on to the main topic.

Drawing is a hobby of mine and I don't have lots of spare time to take it to the next level, I'm still a beginner so no big loss there.
Ah, the pleasure of working ! ^^'
If you're curious anyway, this is a fanart I recently made for supporting a VN in progress but it literally took me several days as I can't spend more than an hour or 2 per working day :
http://dark-kevan.deviantart.com/galler ... 0#/d59oad8

SyberiaWinx wrote:I hope someone can help me, and I hope all the requirements haven't scared anyone off..: (
Don't worry about scaring some people, it just means you have your mind set on things.
I take it your priority for now is defining the characters ?

Hopefully, you'll find someone who can commit to working with you on this. I, for one, am a bit curious how a Higurashi inspired VN would play out.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#6 Post by SyberiaWinx »

It's not about that. What that person did was wrong and it was cruel. I cannot just let things like that go on unmentioned.

And like everyone else, you are welcome to try your hand at this.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

If you're an artist interested in SyberiaWinx's offer, don't hesitate to answer to this thread. Discussions about anything else are no longer allowed in this thread.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

AngeBeatrice

#8 Post by AngeBeatrice »

Hello SyberiaWinx, my name is Tess and I am, as a huge fan of Higurashi and Umineko as well as all things mystery, very interested in helping you with this. I would love to write such a story myself one day, dearly, however my writing skills are lacking and I would like to be involved in a project first as practice, doing what I'm better at, drawing. I can churn out quick sketches if need be and I can do computer graphic images, however the one hitch in my road right now is getting my printer that includes a scanner to work, but if I can't I can always use a scanner somewhere else.

I am sorry that you had to deal with someone who I'm guessing was toying with you, but if we can start working on something together I'd definitely be as dedicated as I can. I do have a full time job and am going to start school soon (only two college courses, but nevertheless), but I would love to work around that. The busier I am, the more productive I am anyways.

Now, let me restate that I love 07th Expansion. Ryuukishi's works are my favorite series in the world, and contain my favorite characters ever. I really hope for you to consider me as an artist for your story. I really need the practice, but for me to be involved in something it must be something I enjoy, otherwise I cannot draw. And I can assure you I would enjoy this. This sounds almost too good to be true for me, if you recruit me. My favorite types of things to draw comprise of cutesy, pretty, ethereal, and dark subjects.

At the very end, I will include a link to my DA account. Unfortunately the stuff I have on there is a little dated for my work, I have a lot of uncompleted works since then due to un-inspiration and disinterest, and a slump. I'm fine now but I was focusing on drawing and design classes thus more classical art, and studying anatomy over the past year or so. So I am sure my CG drawings will have improved once I sit down and do something.

If there is anything else you would like to know, feel free to ask. In any case, I am 23 years old and am studying to be a Japanese translator, almost done with my bachelors and looking into going to graduate school for translation. Right now I live in Florida of the US, but I was born in Sweden, and I have loved Japan since I was a little kid. I am very familiar with most anime in existence (minus most anime dating pre-1995), and used to be in tune with lots of VN style games. I've read all of Umineko, and when I was impatient for the translations, even some in Japanese (I read all of Dawn in Japanese... so good). Anyways... that's more than enough info...

My DA: mizusawamisuzu.deviantart.com

PS. Oh yes, and you can either PM me here or at my angebeatrice@gmail.com . Email would probably be quicker for me!