Team sought for long slice-of-life game (ALL POSITIONS OPEN)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Xenocartographer
Regular

Team sought for long slice-of-life game (ALL POSITIONS OPEN)

#1 Post by Xenocartographer »

So! For a significant amount of time, I've been attempting a visual novel project, entitled Sanare, which is Latin verb meaning "to heal". The story is set in a long-term psychiatric residental program; the characters are teenagers who are there for a variety of reasons. I do have the characters planned out, but not much else at all.

The story is not a dating sim, but it is useful to compare it to one. The protagonist, Alex, arrives at the program because of intense OCD. He meets a few of the other kids; player choices allow him to become close friends with one or more of them (of either gender). These routes are not necessarily romantic, though one or two may be. I plan to have two variables, one representing Alex's closest friend and the other his second-closest; the majority of the plot will depend on who his closest friend is, but significantly affected by the other. There are six main NPCs; brief information on them is provided in the spoiler at the end of this post.

So, I need a team. I'll be writing and coding myself, though if anyone else wants to take over part of the writing that would be awesome. I definitely need artists. I'll let the artists choose the art style themselves; I'm not picky, as long as it looks nice. Music would also be nice, but I do know a guy who will probably write at least some songs. The game will be fairly long, so if multiple people apply for the same position I'll probably take more than one of them.

This is a freeware project. At present I have no funds to pay anyone with, and I don't intend to later. That is to say, all positions here are unpaid.

Brief (main) character list:
-Alex Sullivan: The protagonist, who has intense OCD.
-Claire Jennings: Suffers from strange links between emotions.
-Erica Stonewell: A recovering drug addict.
-Katherine Putnam: A black girl who hides huge social anxiety.
-Luke Fitzwilliam: A shy and timid boy with autism.
-Tim Pearson: Has a strange condition that causes him to remember things that never happened.
-Yako Watanabe: A Japanese girl with bipolar disorder.
This list is intentionally very brief. I have much more in the way of notes on each character; I just don't want to share it all publicly yet. They're not as one-dimensional as this list makes them seem. Each of these characters will need ~three sets of sprites for different outfits, and there will be sprites for minor characters too. (If this is too much to ask, though, say so!)
Last edited by Xenocartographer on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Re: Team sought for long slice-of-life game (ALL POSITIONS O

#2 Post by Gear »

Interesting concept. I'll look forward to playing the game when it's released. Good luck!
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

mj67ai
Regular
Projects: FatexHeart

#3 Post by mj67ai »

this is fairly interesting... could you expand on this further? I'm curious. I like how original the concept is... i don't know much about it, but its seeming very interesting.

Sexy Yuri
Regular
Completed: None..
Projects: Demonic Hearts(Current). Paradise Plus
Organization: Ero-Ga

#4 Post by Sexy Yuri »

It seems interesting.. I could help in writing if you want me too. :D If interesting just drop a pm with further information. :D I would recommend more information about the story and workload for artists please.

Xenocartographer
Regular

#5 Post by Xenocartographer »

Alright, well, people keep saying I should post more about the story, so I edited the OP with significantly more information.

Rikka

#6 Post by Rikka »

Xenocartographer wrote: -Katherine Putnam: A black girl who hides huge social anxiety.
Holy cow, it sounds like me!

But like others have mentioned, it all sounds very interesting, so I can't wait to see the finished product.

Xenocartographer
Regular

#7 Post by Xenocartographer »

>.> There apparently won't ever be one. :(

Sexy Yuri
Regular
Completed: None..
Projects: Demonic Hearts(Current). Paradise Plus
Organization: Ero-Ga

#8 Post by Sexy Yuri »

Xenocartographer wrote:>.> There apparently won't ever be one. :(
What do you mean by this? Anyways, I still can help with some of the writing for this project.

Xenocartographer
Regular

#9 Post by Xenocartographer »

I mean... I mean with no apparent interest from people who can draw there's no way it can happen. >.>

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#10 Post by TsukiShima »

Xenocartographer wrote:I mean... I mean with no apparent interest from people who can draw there's no way it can happen. >.>
Don't say that, I'm sure someone will appear to offer their skills soon.

I myself do want to help, since I really love slice-of-life genre, but seeing the cast and seeing how big the project is, I'm afraid that I might get lost. I'm not a serious artist and right now I'm focused on my own project and one other as the artist.

I still wish you good luck! I do hope to see this story to really become a game.

kittykatlover
Regular
Projects: Devil's Betrayal

#11 Post by kittykatlover »

You could probably get more interest by posting the whole thing fully up (I would suggest spoilers with info you don't want the general public to see) so that artists can see exactly what you're planning. "^-^

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#12 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Claire sounds like an Empath.

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by gekiganwing »

Recruiting is sometimes difficult. Here on Lemma Soft, it can take a while before you find someone who is...

1. Interested
2. Able to provide what you need
3. Not too busy

If you're still looking for assistance, Xenocartographer, then you may benefit by recruiting elsewhere. For instance, consider contacting people on Deviant Art.

And as Kittykatlover said, you may benefit by providing more details about your plot, world, theme, gameplay, and so on. If you believe in your story and its merits, then seriously consider posting parts of your script, or a demo with public domain images.

Finally, while your story sounds a bit like Missing Stars with more of a friendship angle, don't let that bring you down either. Two people can take the same concept and create two very different stories with it.

Xenocartographer
Regular

#14 Post by Xenocartographer »

Heh, sorry, I've been without power for a while because hurricane. This is still a thing! :) I'm planning to do the art myself until I can find some better artists, to allow a demo or whatever at least. Writers and musicians are still needed, and artists are still welcome, regardless!

harleesayshey
Projects: Heart In The Moon

#15 Post by harleesayshey »

I am a artist and this seems really appealing!
I'll send you a pm with some of my work and you can fill me in with the details- deadlines, etc.
I'd like to hear from you!
The name's Harlee.
But call me Sebastian.