Seeking Artist(s) for Horror Visual Novel

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Triscy

Seeking Artist(s) for Horror Visual Novel

#1 Post by Triscy »

I am looking for an artist or artists interested in working on a visual novel project called Keeper Asylum. It's intended to be a horror-style visual novel. It's not intended to be heavy in gore and excessive violence, as it's more of a mystery-escape oriented horror rather than a slasher-style deal.

The story is about a group of friends who wander into an abandoned insane asylum and find themselves trapped inside. The player must navigate the asylum and attempt to find a means of escape for them and their friends, all the while avoiding an evil, demonic being known as the Keeper and his masked minions, the Happy Helpers.

This is a HOBBY/PROFIT SPLIT project, so I'm not going into this with a budget. The goal of this project is for all members involved to gain experience and have fun working together to create something valuable. I'm using this opportunity to gain some experience with coding and with writing for interactive games.

For the project, we're going to need the following visual art assets:

Character sprites(multiple expressions and pose variation) for the entire cast of the game.
Background visuals of the asylum where the story takes place
Visual effects for when the supernatural occurs.
GUI Design

The plan is to code and build the game using the Ren'Py engine. http://www.renpy.org/

If you'd like to see some examples of my work, look at the following:

http://comicmansion.com/comics I have two completed webcomics where I was involved in the writing, working with another artist.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =119516708 I am currently directing the work for this project, and wrote the story for the game(originally intended as a webcomic as well)

If you are interested in doing the art for the game or have questions, please either reply here with some examples of your work, or send them in an e-mail to triscygaming @ gmail.com
Last edited by Triscy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

Re: Seeking Artist(s) for Horror Visual Novel

#2 Post by Kato »

Micro-modding but it's always a good idea to read up the suggestions for recruiters:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=14462

But moving on, is there a style of art you're looking for? Anime, realistic, abstract?
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Triscy

#3 Post by Triscy »

Sorry about that. I sort of just copy-pasted this post really quickly this morning before I had to get ready for school and didn't spend time reading over such things. I've posted in the intro thread now, though, so hopefully that makes up for it a little.

I personally don't have an art style preference, so that's why I didn't really state anything. I want to see what people have to offer and base it off of that. I feel that I would prefer a sort of realism-inspired anime style, and not something that's too far into the field of more stereotypical anime styles, but I also feel that the story might do fine in a primarily realism-only style as well.

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#4 Post by Itwasneveradream »

Shame. I am interested but my style isn't very horror-esque or mysterious for that matter...

Ah well. I wish you luck. Seems like a nice idea :3

PinkPoison

#5 Post by PinkPoison »

Sounds quite interesting.

Just a small question: Is this going to be a bigger project? How long will the story be and how many characters will be involved in it?

I'm just asking because some artists might be interested in how many sprites and CGs you would need for this project.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#6 Post by Fungii »

Same as above, I might be interested, but it depends on how many sprites/cgs you have in mind.

thanatoaster

#7 Post by thanatoaster »

Though I am not the type of artist you are looking for, I would like to say this is a very interesting idea and I think It could turn out very well! I would definitely love to play this when you have it all figured out. :D

Triscy

#8 Post by Triscy »

To PinkPoison and Fungii:

Currently, the main cast of characters(humans) are between 4 and 5 characters. They haven't been designed yet, but they're going to be American college students, so they'll be in age ranges of 18-20 or so. Each of these main human characters will be the more expressive of the lot and have their own personalities. I can't give a solid estimate at the moment of what each one would require for the sake of how many sprites, as this is my first honest attempt at trying to build a real visual novel, but default, scared, terrified, annoyed, etc. sprites will probably be useful if not needed of each character. I will do my best not to go overboard, and in the near future I will be putting time into planning out as many of the branching paths as possible.

The antagonists of the story will generally require much less work, including the Keeper(rarely seen, mute, and only assumes one real pose), and the happy helpers(slightly more animate, but with the exclusion of Mr. Sulk, also mute and limited number of poses).

Hopefully that is a satisfactory answer for the time being. I want the project to be great, with an expressive cast, but I'm not planning to go overboard in my expectations considering the lack of budget.