Terminal Recruitment Thread [Positions Opened!]

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Iarumas
Regular
Completed: Death Rule: Fear Complex -Standalone Edition- | Death Rule: lost code
Projects: Death Rule Series (MESI Games)
Organization: MESI Games

Terminal Recruitment Thread [Positions Opened!]

#1 Post by Iarumas »

Edit: The spots for Timer Coder and Sprite Artist have been claimed! Thank you for your support!

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by. I'm Iarumas. Before I get into the main topic of this thread, here's some brief information about me:

*I am a relatively new and aspiring writer in the Lemma Soft community (I am also trying to learn a bit of basic coding in Ren'Py)
*My previous work includes proofreading Zevia Inc's Area-X and writing for the Death Rule series (I wrote "The Final Rule" for lost code and I did all the writing (except for a small unlockable scene) for the Halloween special, "Fear Complex" (available for download here))
*I am currently working on Terminal as the main project director, scenario writer, and (basic) coder

-----------------------------------------------------

This thread is devoted to the purpose of searching for volunteers to help with Terminal's creation. If you'd like to know more about Terminal, feel free to read up here. Please keep in mind this project is powered by a volunteer based staff meaning that, unfortunately, none of these positions will be paid. If you're interested in signing up, feel free to comment, contact me via PM, or drop in to the official IRC chat (#Terminal-VN) and hope that I'm around.

Here are the positions currently available:

Edit: Claimed by Greeny.

Timer Coder: By far the most important opening currently available. While it may not look it, the current build made by jw2pfd has some bugs that prevent customization with the game (such as the inability to resize the default window settings with the options.rpy as well as being unable to utilize custom key bindings due to the code breaking as a result of either of those being activated). Unfortunately, I have lost contact with him; he hasn't logged into the thread for quite a while. Now, unless he suddenly turns up again, I will be forced to seek out someone else to help me with this particularly delicate coding.

Requirements:
*Ability to code to following features into a real-time timer:
+Ability to start and stop timer
+Ability to made the timer visible or invisible
+Ability to add/subtract from the time
+Ability to jump to a specific label when the time hits zero
+Sudden Death Feature
[Note:Specific details on these features will be provided if you sign up this job]
*Experience coding in Ren'Py is preferred
*An intense interest in code and indomitable spirit
*Able to be contacted on a regular basis if the need for troubleshooting arises
*Willingness to allow others to work on the code in the event of sudden absence
*Willingness to open-source the timer coding once Terminal has been released

Edit: Claimed by myapple.

Sprite Artist: That's right, I'm looking for someone to draw sprites. The art currently featured on the thread and in the tech demo are concept pieces done by Yen-Dragon. If that art style can be emulated in your own work, that's a plus as well.

Requirements:
*Please be able to present examples of previous work
*Ability and willingness to draw
*7-10 sprites to represent the main cast
*2-4 bases and 6+ expressions per character
*All of the above in color

CG Artist: In order to claim this spot, you must be comfortable with emulating the style of the sprites drawn by myapple. More details to follow.

Requirements:
*Please be able to comfortably emulate the style of art used in the sprites
*More details to follow

Background Artist: Probably the most flexible staff opening. As time goes by, the need for backgrounds is likely to increase but for now, I can estimate the need for about 10 for starters.

Requirements:
*Ability and willingness to draw
*10+ background images (NOTE: This number represents the current demand; subject to increase as time goes by)

Other: Got another way that you can help that isn't already listed? Feel free to comment anyway!

Alright, so there you have it. Once again, thanks for stopping by. If you have any questions regarding any of current openings, feel free to share. Thank you for your consideration.
Last edited by Iarumas on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Biomass
Regular

Re: Terminal Recruitment Thread [Positions Opened!]

#2 Post by Biomass »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the nature of this "Timer" and why does it require it's own dedicated coder?

Iarumas
Regular
Completed: Death Rule: Fear Complex -Standalone Edition- | Death Rule: lost code

#3 Post by Iarumas »

Good question. The purpose of the timer is to play in the background (real-time) down to zero at which point the player will receive game over. But is a bit more complicated than that: Assuming I'm not missing any of the features, the timer will need the option to be hidden or visible, the ability to add or subtract time (and the option to randomize it), the ability to be stopped, the ability to randomize the initial starting time, and the ability to jump to a game over screen or a specific label when the time becomes zero (keep in mind, these are the current functions of the timer, no new features have been listed here).

I have updated the timer coder description with the required features of the timer. Thanks for your response.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#4 Post by Greeny »

Oh, I remember this! You posted a thread way back discussing the idea.
I don't think coding your timer would be so hard for me, I have some experience with timers (see my game The Loop).
Of course, this particular timer requires some more thought, but it's certainly doable.
I can even make it sparkle.

I'm willing to give it a try. Success guaranteed or your money back!
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Iarumas
Regular

#5 Post by Iarumas »

Woah, a Miko-Class Veteran appears?! I can safely say I didn't see that coming... But I'm seriously honored. I'm glad you have an interest in Terminal and I'm definitely letting you have a go at the timer coding! I can't say thank you enough for stepping foward and volunteering like that. I've sent you a PM so that we can start discussing the details (and I'll definitely being checking out The Loop). Thanks again!

Iarumas
Regular

#6 Post by Iarumas »

Alright, the spots for Timer Coder and Sprite Artist have been claimed by Greeny and myapple respectably. I have also opened the new spot for CG Artist. Thank you everyone for your support! The search continues!