[Newbie] Programmer for Hire (Unpaid)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
haichipuchu

[Newbie] Programmer for Hire (Unpaid)

#1 Post by haichipuchu »

I'm interested in joining on a project. I'm actually a programmer by profession but I'm new at Ren'py.
And I want to test my knowledge on a simple project. :)

I'm looking for some people who'd like to hire me maybe? A simple project is enough. But my condition is that all other assets are finished. What I mean here is that the story, scenes, art, and all that stuff should be done and all I have to do is program.

So anyone interested?haha :lol:

Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

Re: [Newbie] Programmer for Hire (Unpaid)

#2 Post by Surufe »

Awww...
Most of my work haven't finish yet.
I will problaly need a programmer in the future. Hopefully you will be free by then.
Bookmarking~
New Account - Rye
I'm no longer using this account.

Viniciuskk
Regular
Projects: Spring Breeze
Organization: Homeroom Interactive

#3 Post by Viniciuskk »

By "all other assets finished" did you mean that "everything should be already made so I can jump in and program everything" or "I'm only taking the role as a programmer."?

It's kinda rare to find a team where they simply everything stored somewhere until the whole game is done so that they can think about starting to program it.

If you're a newbie at Ren'py, you should take a project that is still starting, even if the risk of people giving up on it may be somewhat high.
If you're thrown a 30.000 lines script with over 30 choices, lots of flags here and there, it will be very messy to get started with.

The coding will be much more neat if you program it while the writer writes the script. Of course, there will be many changes along the time, but it's good practice, since there won't be 9999 flags scattered across the script.

I don't know how much experience you have in Ren'py, but you yourself can get good at it alone. Get some of those "choose your adventure" games that are all over the internet and program it yourself! (Without the pictures, music, just the text!)

Learn how to make bars, put text in middle of the screen, make complicated animations, etc... And your chances to be recruited will be many times higher. :3

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SusanTheCat »

Are you only looking for Ren'py projects?

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#5 Post by Greeny »

What's your experience with Python?
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

haichipuchu

#6 Post by haichipuchu »

Surufe wrote:Awww...
Most of my work haven't finish yet.
I will problaly need a programmer in the future. Hopefully you will be free by then.
Bookmarking~
Thank you for the interest!:D
I hope that when you're finished I'll also be free by then and hopefully become a decent programmer on Ren'Py too :wink:

I just really want to work on a project :)

haichipuchu

#7 Post by haichipuchu »

Viniciuskk wrote:By "all other assets finished" did you mean that "everything should be already made so I can jump in and program everything" or "I'm only taking the role as a programmer."?

It's kinda rare to find a team where they simply everything stored somewhere until the whole game is done so that they can think about starting to program it.

If you're a newbie at Ren'py, you should take a project that is still starting, even if the risk of people giving up on it may be somewhat high.
If you're thrown a 30.000 lines script with over 30 choices, lots of flags here and there, it will be very messy to get started with.

The coding will be much more neat if you program it while the writer writes the script. Of course, there will be many changes along the time, but it's good practice, since there won't be 9999 flags scattered across the script.

I don't know how much experience you have in Ren'py, but you yourself can get good at it alone. Get some of those "choose your adventure" games that are all over the internet and program it yourself! (Without the pictures, music, just the text!)

Learn how to make bars, put text in middle of the screen, make complicated animations, etc... And your chances to be recruited will be many times higher. :3
Ideally, I would love that everything is already in place (i.e. Script and art) and I'll just have to glue them all together. So I guess I just want to take the role as programmer. I'm not looking for anything too complicated. Just something simple. It doesn't have to have branches/choices either. A linear visual novel would do :)

haichipuchu

#8 Post by haichipuchu »

Greeny wrote:What's your experience with Python?
Basics at the moment hahaha. Irresponsible I know, but I'm not really looking into anything too complicated. And this is probably the reason why I'm looking for a project because I learn by doing. Code snippets (although informative) doesn't beat being on an actual project. I have experience in C and Objective-C (iOS programming). But based on my research, Python seems to have a lower learning curve compared to those. :|

Kitten the Cat
Regular
Projects: The Onigami House [NaNo12], Beyond the Veil [NaNo14]
Organization: Riceball Games

#9 Post by Kitten the Cat »

I suggest you just work on your own project and use placeholders for assets! That's how I learned Python (and Ren'Py) myself. I am a C# web programmer by trade but I found that working on something you're really excited about will motivate you enough to learn the programming language.
Currently working on Beyond the Veil, our NaNoRenO '14 entry.

haichipuchu

#10 Post by haichipuchu »

Kitten the Cat wrote:I am a C# web programmer by trade but I found that working on something you're really excited about will motivate you enough to learn the programming language.
exactly!:D I'm an iOS programmer and just recently made a simple visual novel from scratch at work (just for fun) :D
I had a great time which is why I wanted to try participating on a project. I guess you're right, maybe I should try making a simple project on my own :)

You just gave me an idea to make a ren'py version of the one I made at work xD

Kitten the Cat
Regular
Projects: The Onigami House [NaNo12], Beyond the Veil [NaNo14]
Organization: Riceball Games

#11 Post by Kitten the Cat »

haichipuchu wrote:You just gave me an idea to make a ren'py version of the one I made at work xD
That's great! By doing your own project you won't be limited to what other people tell you to make. At least you'll have creative freedom and you can experiment with programming different types of gameplay.

Good luck!
Currently working on Beyond the Veil, our NaNoRenO '14 entry.

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#12 Post by sheetcakeghost »

Well my story is done, and there is art in there, but it's placeholder art.

I made most of my case on the forum already.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 58#p255858

Thing is, I don't know if what I want would be simple. It's difficult enough that I can't really swing it, but then I seem to have some sort of coding dyslexia.

muggy8
Regular

#13 Post by muggy8 »

You do know that Ren.Py isn't the ONLY thing people use right? if your a pro programmer then I would actually suggest you join projects not based in Ren.Py as it is a really easy to use VN tool that can be used for basically everything and doesn't take much to learn. Instead i'd recommend that you join another team which develops VN engines rather than make VNs as they will definitely see more use for a programmer.

One such thing would the the WebStory VN Engine. Of the engine is based in HTML5. Another one would be an engine that i'm working on on my own that I call the J-Omni engine. Both engines have the same basic idea, make games playable on web browsers using cross platform resources so that players can enjoy the game via their mobile device just as much as they can from their desktops.

WebStory thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=16722
i'm not sure if the creator is looking for help but you can certainly PM him
as for me I actually want to develop a kind of GUI interface for using the J-Omni engine and i've got a working prototype already setup which needs work and i'd love to have someone who isn't me working on that XD

CaseyLoufek
Regular
Projects: Bliss Stage, Orbital Knights

#14 Post by CaseyLoufek »

While it's true Ren'py is far from the only program people use and out of the box it's more than enough for many games since it does support raw Python there is very little you can't do. A basic VN won't need a professional programmer but many more advanced projects will.

Ren'py's strength is that it is no way limited to being a visual novel engine. 3d probably won't happen and realtime would be a pain but it's really very powerful.

falsedelusion
Regular

#15 Post by falsedelusion »

Do you know how to code a visual novel in Unity?