Gutsy's Skill Trade: Writing, Editing or Programming for Art

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Funnyguts
Veteran

Gutsy's Skill Trade: Writing, Editing or Programming for Art

#1 Post by Funnyguts »

I'd like to offer my skills as a writer, editor, or programmer, such as they are, to help someone complete their own projects, in exchange for some art assets (sprites, backgrounds, and CGs.) Since I'm currently bogged down in a few different projects that are in need of art, but not in a position to pay people readily, giving my time to help others sounds like a good trade.

Some examples of my writing:
Anniversaries, Adversity, and Pepper, a short game that won third place in the Spirit of Disaster competition.
Conium, a Twine game completed for the Pulse-pounding Heart-stopping Game Jam.

And an example of my programming skills, try the demo for That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles. (I've done more programming since then, but none of it is in a position to be released yet, unfortunately.)

My current project that I'm in need of art for is Lluvia de Peces. It's a short game set in Honduras that I made for NaNoRenO, but due to various issues my artist is unable to complete the work. I'm in need of two sprites (one man and one woman, both in their mid 30s), eight backgrounds, and possibly CGs (if you're interested, we can discuss CG work after the sprites and backgrounds are done). In exchange, I can do about 10 to 15,000 words of writing, or a small bit of programming that your game needs to be complete.

If this goes well, I'd like to do more skill trades! I have several ideas for small projects that could benefit from this, but for now I want to focus on completing what I've already started. Please contact me with examples of art if you're interested.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Gutsy's Skill Trade: Writing, Editing or Programming for

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Cool idea, swapping assets, and I hope you get a lot of takers! It might be good to post what art style your looking for, if you are, and if you'd want the same person for all the assets or wouldn't mind more than one person helping out. ^^ just an suggestion.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#3 Post by Funnyguts »

Hazel-Bun wrote:It might be good to post what art style your looking for, if you are, and if you'd want the same person for all the assets or wouldn't mind more than one person helping out. ^^ just an suggestion.
Right now I'm not looking for anything too specific art-wise, but I definitely will if I get into more specific art-heavy projects. For now, someone who can do the work I've specified reasonably well is all I need. As for multiple people, I'm not picky about it as long as all the people involved are willing to work together.

While I'm pointing things out, I'll state that while I won't post offers for 18+ games here, if you are doing your own 18+ game and would like me to help out, let me know just what kind of project you're working on with a general idea of scenes or fetishes or anything that might make me uncomfortable. I'm pretty open-minded, so I won't necessarily turn you down if you think your idea is too crazy. (I do promise that if I turn down an offer I'll give the offerer some detailed reasons why I'm not interested.)

I'm also not picky about what genre you guys might like me to work in (this is for everyone making something, regardless of age rating).

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#4 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Oh, I'm interested! I'd love to do a skill trade since I'm in need of some writing right now. I can try the sprites, but I'm not sure if my style is what you need. Shoot me a PM if you think I'll be fine. :)

Funnyguts
Veteran

#5 Post by Funnyguts »

So I started a trade with LumenAstrum, and it's going well! However, I do need another person to do backgrounds for Lluvia. I do have lots of reference photos for the backgrounds, although I can't use them directly due to copyright issues. If you're interested, let me know if there's something I can do for you in return! By the way, check out Lumen's initial work on the story's main character:

Who wouldn't want to make backgrounds for characters like this? other than people like me who can't draw

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

#6 Post by latte »

The main character is looking great! I really wanted to take on your offer from the moment you set up this thread, as I've got a story needing precisely ~15k words, but I can barely draw one simple background, let alone eight... other than being drowning in work already Anyway I've been cheering for this project from the shadows for some time now, hope you can find someone.

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#7 Post by Itwasneveradream »

We did have a deal, and I'm going to see it through. (My ipad screen got fixed)
I'll do the bgs if you want, I still have the references you gave me. So, do you need like a painty kind of background or more of a detailed kind?

Funnyguts
Veteran

#8 Post by Funnyguts »

Itwasneveradream wrote:We did have a deal, and I'm going to see it through. (My ipad screen got fixed)
I'll do the bgs if you want, I still have the references you gave me. So, do you need like a painty kind of background or more of a detailed kind?
A painty one is fine, there's no need for super-detailed. PM me with anything you need to know.