Writers and editors needed! (may be paid)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Writers and editors needed! (may be paid)

#1 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Hello, all!

I realized recently that what I need more than anything at this point in development is someone who will be able to give me regular feedback and suggestions for collective's storyline. That's where you come in.

If you're interested in becoming a sounding board for ideas, and possibly even a co-writer, please contact me at victorialeejennings@gmail.com.

additional info
collective is a psychological thriller and RPG. The story is set in Seattle, Washington, during a worldwide suicide epidemic that is spinning wildly out of control. You play as Danny Finlow, a high school student.

After you receive a strange email from an unknown sender containing the coordinates of a previously unexplored area in an online game, you and your friends determine to get to the bottom of it... But it turns out to be much more complicated and far more dangerous than any of you had dared to assume.

job descriptions
Dialogue Writer: There are two types of dialogue writers: party and independent.

A party dialogue writer's job is to produce dialogue fragments (conversations that take place during the game that do not affect the plot). This will require the writer to effectively embody the characters they are attempting to portray, so a background in roleplaying (using other people's characters) could turn out to be quite useful!

An independent dialogue writer's job is to produce dialogue between minor characters independent of the plot, but still relevant to it. There are a limited number of positions available for this task, but an increased chance of compensation for it. Currently, there are five slots open.

Editor: An editor's job is to provide feedback. The editor will be reviewing and critiquing scenes, as well as offering helpful suggestions on how to improve them.

Note: Regardless of your position, you will be given the opportunity to participate in any meeting and contribute directly to the development process.

I will provide more details if necessary, but you'll have to email me first. You can also check out the thread in my signature.

Thanks!

===

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the more the merrier! I'm not capping the number of people I accept for this role. I'll take all the feedback and discourse I can get.

So yeah, feel free to reply whenever. I'll shut this thread down myself when I no longer need help.

EDITEDIT: There is a chance that you will be paid for your efforts! It depends on how much you contribute, and how well collective does commercially. Hopefully, this will provide additional incentive to help out, and at the very least, prove your writing/editing prowess to the team. In exchange, I really do hope that collective makes enough money for me to compensate all of you for your time and efforts. At the very least, you'll be gaining experience, but I'd very much like to express my appreciation in a more tangible way.
Last edited by Victoria Jennings on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:30 am, edited 10 times in total.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

Re: Co-writer/beta reader/feedback giver needed

#2 Post by Tempus »

Victoria Jennings wrote:containing the coordinates of a previously unexplored area in an online game
I wasn't very interested until I got to this part. Sounds... interesting! Hope you find someone to help you out.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Co-writer/beta reader/feedback giver needed

#3 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Tempus wrote:I wasn't very interested until I got to this part. Sounds... interesting! Hope you find someone to help you out.
Haha, yeah, I didn't present it in a very exciting way. I just wanted to deliver the basics for simplicity's sake.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Re: Co-writers/beta readers/feedback givers needed

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Hope you can find some people to help out.

Just thought I'd mention that some of us have been using #renpy to go over some ideas and such. As long as you are patient regarding replies (sometimes people are asleep, or AFK for a bit), then generally people are helpful. That's been my experience, at least.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Writers, beta readers, and feedback givers needed! (may

#5 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Thanks, Trick. I don't know if that will really work for my purposes, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Updated with job info.

Dawnfire
Regular

Re: Writers and editors needed! (may be paid)

#6 Post by Dawnfire »

This sounds really interesting, but how much work would this require? Like approximately how many words are going to be written for dialogue, and approximately how much would you edit if you were an editor? And when's the time frame for when you want this finished, and how many hours of work a day would that approximately be? Plus, I have done a lot of roleplaying in the past, but it also depends on how unique each character's dialogue style is. Most are relatively easy to imitate, but sometimes a very original style of writing can give a roleplayer a lot of difficulty.
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Victoria Jennings »

I'm glad you asked!
Dawnfire wrote:This sounds really interesting, but how much work would this require? Like approximately how many words are going to be written for dialogue, and approximately how much would you edit if you were an editor?
You decide. I'm not paying any of you, so I don't really get a say in how much I ask you to contribute. You'll be able to submit pieces of writing for review and access scenes and dialogue fragments that need to be edited, but you don't have to worry about fulfilling a quota. Any help I can get, no matter how small, is worth it. Additionally, anything you contribute (that is accepted) will get you credited in the Supporting Writers section. Finally, it's possible you will be elevated to a higher writing position, which significantly raises your chances of receiving monetary compensation for your work*.
Dawnfire wrote:And when's the time frame for when you want this finished, and how many hours of work a day would that approximately be?
I don't have any deadlines set. It's too early to say. My personal workload for now is rather light, as Summer and I have held off on any more meetings in the interest of preserving the current body of information we have come up with so that any new members to the team won't be overwhelmed. Once we catch everyone up to speed, we'll really get to work. As I mentioned above, it's up to you guys to decide how much you'll be contributing, which naturally determines how much time you will be spending on this project.
Dawnfire wrote:Plus, I have done a lot of roleplaying in the past, but it also depends on how unique each character's dialogue style is. Most are relatively easy to imitate, but sometimes a very original style of writing can give a roleplayer a lot of difficulty.
Yeah, I know what you mean. There is one character in particular whose style I know will be hard to imitate. For her, I may allow others to type out the gist of what she is supposed to be saying, and then I'll take it from there. Otherwise, only one other person types regularly, and his style is fairly simple (based on one of my own). As for the ones who'll be speaking rather than typing the majority of the time, I imagine it won't be too challenging to learn how to characterize them properly; their personalities are very distinct.

I hope I've answered all your questions sufficiently! If you have any more, I'll be happy to answer them.

*Note: if I ask you to join the pool of main writers (which currently only consists of Summer and myself), you are definitely allowed to ask me for a specific amount of money. In the event that this occurs, I'll decide whether or not it's worth it to hire your services. If it is, we can negotiate a contract.
Last edited by Victoria Jennings on Sun May 26, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawnfire
Regular

#8 Post by Dawnfire »

Sounds good!
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Main post updated.

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#10 Post by Boomsickle »

There needs to be more games with a plot line that involves online games. That plus the Seattle setting sounds really interesting especially since i live in Auburn. Wish i could help but i got my own stories to build up and such just bumping your thread for support!

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#11 Post by noeinan »

Sending an email your way. :)

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Boomsickle wrote:There needs to be more games with a plot line that involves online games. That plus the Seattle setting sounds really interesting especially since i live in Auburn. Wish i could help but i got my own stories to build up and such just bumping your thread for support!
Oh, really? I'm in Bellevue myself.

Anyway, thanks, I appreciate it. I'm glad people seem to be interested.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#13 Post by noeinan »

Victoria Jennings wrote:
Boomsickle wrote:There needs to be more games with a plot line that involves online games. That plus the Seattle setting sounds really interesting especially since i live in Auburn. Wish i could help but i got my own stories to build up and such just bumping your thread for support!
Oh, really? I'm in Bellevue myself.

Anyway, thanks, I appreciate it. I'm glad people seem to be interested.
Olympia here, though my hometown is up near Snoqualmie.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Victoria Jennings »

daikiraikimi wrote:Olympia here, though my hometown is up near Snoqualmie.
Haha, that's cool! Didn't realize there were so many people from WA on these boards.

khfan12
Regular
Completed: Clarity, a MH KN
Projects: "With You", Truculence

#15 Post by khfan12 »

*reads other posts and coughs* I live in the Yakima Valley...

Anyway, Are you still needing help? Just wondering.
Last edited by khfan12 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Clarity - MH KN- Solo Project
Projects:
With You (working title) - Lead Writer/Concept/ETC
Truculence- Concept Artist, Proofreader