Music Star!!! Game Co-Writer Wanted (Closed)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Fairy Godfeather
Regular

Music Star!!! Game Co-Writer Wanted (Closed)

#1 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

Music Star!!! is not the name, I just couldn't think of what to call the thread so that ended up in there.

Would anyone be interested in working together on a game about fame, music, fabulous costumes, and becoming a star? I'm looking for someone who'd like to co-write and bounce some ideas around and see if we can come up with a game.

I've a number of ideas for setting, and more than willing to go with something else entirely as long as it's fun.

Sci-Fi: Save the universe with the power of music. Travel the galaxy in your ship bringing your show to various planets in order to spread the message of peace and love. Engage in Battle of the Bands with musicians from other planets to prove that you're the best! Music is the universal language, bringing civilisations together! I see this one as a camp, space-opera, game, probably with an alien that wants to take over the galaxy and can only be defeated by the power of song! And with each different planet you visit being a different episode. Like Star Trek but set your looks to stunning, not your phasers on stun! Dazzle the galaxy! Bringing the Star into starship!

Fantasy: Music is Magic! Win a covetted place at the Bard's Collegium and sing your way to the top, using your music to soothe savage beasts, to aid diplomatic negotiations, as well as undertake all the challenges thrown at you in order to graduate top of your class. I see this one as more school-based but with trips out to do journeyman stuff. I'm thinking Anne McCaffrey's Harpers, Mercedes Lackey's Bards, Tanya Huff's Song books, and I'm sure there's a bunch of other fantasy stories with similar themes.

Real World: The Fame Game! is the hottest tv show on television, watched by the world and known for catapaulting its winner into mega-stardom. It's a show similar to American Idol, The X-Factor, The Voice, Fame Academy, and Any Dream Will Do (and the other Anthony Lloyd Webber BBC shows.) where week by week you must fight it out against the other contestants, while trying to work out if it's all actually worth it. I'd want the theme of fame vs integrity to run high, with a lot of moral dilemmas and the personal cost this sort of shows can have, and with most of the other contestants harbouring secrets you can discover and possibly exploit.

Since I haven't worked out how to use Ren'py yet, and I'm not an artist I'm looking to create a story-based game, with text only (maybe with portraits of the characters) using Choicescript, and then, if it gets finished, work on trying to translate it to Ren'py. I like Choicescript, I can code in it, and I think that the visual novel community does some things that would translate really well over there. We can talk about that though, since I am planning to learn Ren'py eventually.

With any of the options, I'd like relationships, be those friendships or romances, to be an integral part of the story. Queer themes are important to me, so I'd want most of the love interests to be somewhere on the GBLT spectrum. So I'm hoping for a co-writer who wants to write that sort of story.

I'd prefer someone who's over 18. If you know something about music, or costumes, and writing descriptions, so much the better. Description's one of my weak points. My unfinished games are filled with INSERT DESCRIPTION HERE! I think that's one of the reasons visual novels appeal to me since the pictures can speak for it. But I don't want to try and recruit an artist for this yet because it's just a vague idea stage at the moment.

I'm well aware that I've no previous track record. I have only 'finished' a very short game in Choicescript which I promptly removed from the net since I got frustrated by its flaws. I'm putting it back up, briefly, so if you want to see a sample of my writing you can. Keep in mind it's unfinished, unpolished, oh so imperfect. http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1549 ... index.html I'm very likely to pull it down while screaming IT SUCKS! very soon though. I'm my own worst critic but it's the only sample I currently have.

Is anyone interested?
Last edited by Fairy Godfeather on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

owlcity89
Projects: Schein, Finding My Wings

Re: Music Star!!! Game Co-Writer Wanted

#2 Post by owlcity89 »

I find the Sci-fi and the Fantasy ideas intriguing. What genre of music would the MC perform?

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#3 Post by merdeamour »

You had me at Anne McCaffrey, but I'm not one for mature games so I'm not going to be of help. I wish you good luck with this, though! (:
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#4 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

@Merdeamour

I'm not planning on writing a mature game. I'm more of a fan of tasteful fade to blacks as opposed to anything explicit. Part of that is my own writing style doesn't really lend itself to graphic description, and I can't imagine being able to adequately write anything mature. Well not without laughing at it and then scrapping it.

However part of my current plan, if I actually get anything finished, is to publish through a company, which I think requires parental consent on the contracts to publish anything by under 18s. I started wondering, "how on earth do I explain to someone's parents that I'm wanting to write a queer, musical, romance game with them?" I'd be absolutely horrified if my own parents had discovered the sort of stuff I was writing. So it seemed easier to just say 18+. But that's not for the maturity rating on the game itself, which I'm expecting to be PG-13. Only that stands for Parental Guidance? OH NO! Parents! My current bane. :)

I did get an answer to my post though and I'm bouncing around ideas about the fantasy game. It's turning out less hanging out at Bardic College dealing with social stuff and more Epic Fantasy Adventure with musicians, which is still fun. Anne McCaffrey's Harpers had adventures.

@owlcity89 Is fabulous a music genre? Magical? :)

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#5 Post by merdeamour »

Fairy Godfeather wrote:@Merdeamour

I'm not planning on writing a mature game. I'm more of a fan of tasteful fade to blacks as opposed to anything explicit. Part of that is my own writing style doesn't really lend itself to graphic description, and I can't imagine being able to adequately write anything mature. Well not without laughing at it and then scrapping it.

However part of my current plan, if I actually get anything finished, is to publish through a company, which I think requires parental consent on the contracts to publish anything by under 18s. I started wondering, "how on earth do I explain to someone's parents that I'm wanting to write a queer, musical, romance game with them?" I'd be absolutely horrified if my own parents had discovered the sort of stuff I was writing. So it seemed easier to just say 18+. But that's not for the maturity rating on the game itself, which I'm expecting to be PG-13. Only that stands for Parental Guidance? OH NO! Parents! My current bane. :)

Haha, even if that's so, I don't think it's my cup of tea ((: I'm sorta a prude...
I did get an answer to my post though and I'm bouncing around ideas about the fantasy game.
Oh, that's great! (: I really wish you the best of luck in this venture of yours :D
It's turning out less hanging out at Bardic College dealing with social stuff and more Epic Fantasy Adventure with musicians, which is still fun. Anne McCaffrey's Harpers had adventures.
Oh my. That sounds amazing. One of my favorite characters of Anne McCaffrey's world was Menolly.
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

kuri_chii
Regular
Completed: RHWIMY beta 1.0
Projects: Right here where I met you, Love Snatch, Monarchy High
Organization: VND - AWA
IRC Nick: Kuri
Deviantart: franzzzz002

#6 Post by kuri_chii »

I can help...I can be a co-writer...I do program in my own Visual Novel Games :3
The best way showing your feelings is to write Novel Stories :3
DeviantArt | Monarchy High | RHWIMY | Love Snatch

_Shiro_
Regular
Projects: 6 days

#7 Post by _Shiro_ »

I can help too, i can be co-writer, btw i like the fantasy idea xD, and i can be your programmer too.

I would be glad to be part of your project, thank you xD
Contact info:
FB: Shiro VN
Email: tlvh110493@gmail.com

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#8 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

Thanks so much for all of the interest. I managed to get a co-writer to work with me on the fantasy music game project, which has turned out different than the initial synopsis but that's what's fun about creating games, the way the story twists beneath you and becomes more than you imagined.

While I'd love to pick up the other two ideas at some point I need to clear my plate of works in progress first. I'm currently juggling three and a half projects.