Seeking Team Members for long-term project - Archaelia (CLOS

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
MusingPhoenix

Seeking Team Members for long-term project - Archaelia (CLOS

#1 Post by MusingPhoenix »

I've found the people I was looking for. Thanks everyone!

----------------
Hello all! I do really hope I'm not coming across as 'cold' as some of the other threads suggest by posting this so soon, since I'm new to the community. I blame my excitement for my project and my desire to really get moving on it after nearly five years of brainstorming the base of said game's foundation. I'm perfectly happy to discuss this listing, my project, and just shoot the breeze in this thread, so I can get to know people and people can get to know me! I also welcome more private inquiries at my email address, musingphoenixstudio@gmail.com.

And of course, feel free to peruse my own website and forum at www dot musingphoenixstudio dot com. There's not much there yet, as I've primarily focused on my game's design and underpinnings these last years. The website and forum are a new addition when I incorporated a few months back as an LLC. I'm nearly halfway through my bachelor's degree program for Game Art and Design, and just can't wait anymore! Wheee! :)

------------------------

So here is what I am looking for:

Two collaborative positions, currently unpaid (though I hope to change that in the future). Collaborative means I am hoping to include your input and suggestions into my project throughout the process. I'm looking for team members, not employees to just do what they are told. :)

The game in question is a hybrid genre game, melding together aspects of visual novel/RPG/life sim, with a splash of castle/town-building. I am taking on the task of writing, designing, and working out game balance, though as I said, I'm hoping to get input and work together on some things like gameplay mechanic implementation and character characteristics with my team members!

The game, Archaelia, has a fully realized story arc and gameflow charts (though I'm still working on getting it down on paper), many characters already fleshed out except for visuals, and a general series of flow charts to show game modes, fameplay flow, and more.

This is a long-term project, and I expect it to run for years, though my timeline is very fluid and flexible. I have no issue with you taking on other projects or work while we create together, as long as you don't share project assets or unauthorized information about the project until it is finished. On a personal note, I am working with some very serious anxiety disorders in my own head, so my timelines are very flexible and easygoing. Mostly, I want people with love and passion for creating a vivid, breathing world for this game, to be as invested as I am in making this as great as it can be.

For the time being, I cannot offer monetary compensation for any work done on this project, though I am looking at funding options for the future. If and when my avenues for acquiring funding pan out, I would hope to take on these people as actual paid employees. Final resort is to get enough of a prototype together to make a demo and use that to showcase a Kickstarter fund for the necessary money to hire people.
-------------------

High Concept Statement:
Take over the remnants of the Kingdom of Archaelia and rebuild it your way. Explore the shrouded mists that now envelop the countryside, battle fierce mystical creatures to reclaim your lands, and bring glory to your name as monarch as you aspire to one of multiple endings based on how you rebuild the Kingdom.
--------------------

Onto my actual needs!

Seeking: A programmer adept with Renpy and the Python language in general.

I require someone capable of creating custom modules for the Renpy engine that will allow for a turn-based combat system, map-based navigation (selecting spots on a map to go to said location), 2-d area maps, and able to construct a complex underlying structure for intricate dialogue/interaction with game world and characters based on a robust set of character attribures, such as skills and stats.

Seeking: An artist for character art, with backgrounds and environments being a wonderful bonus!

I am looking for a semi-realistic style of art with an undertone of cartoon/anime edge to add a bit of fantasy. Not full-blown anime drawing, but realistic laced with a hint of it. I seem to be unable to manage the style I'm looking for even after two years in art school, LOL. I have a few base concept sketches I've done, but they aren't quite right. So I'm looking for someone for whom this comes more naturally.

If the artist can do backgrounds and environments as well, this is amazing and wonderful. But if the guy/gal who can draw characters the way I envision doesn't do that, then I'm happy enough to manage environments on my own.

---------------------------

This is a lot of information, but it is necessary to get across the basics of my vision. I'll happily answer any other questions anyone may have, or just chatter about games in general.

Please know that this is not in any way a fly-by-night operation or project. I have worked in the gaming industry before, am working towards a degree in this field, and have been developing Archaelia as a concept for about five years now. Only now do I feel it is fleshed out enough in concept for me to push further. I've sunk money into creating my game studio as a legal entity, and have no other career to conflict with this.

I don't expect this to be a full-time project for anyone else, at least not until I can secure proper funding and actually employ people. But this is my passion and my dream. I hope you want to be a part of it! Thank you.

Melanie, the Musing Phoenix
Last edited by MusingPhoenix on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikiwing

Re: Seeking Team Members for long-term project - Archaelia

#2 Post by mikiwing »

I would have loved to help with the characters but i dont think my art is what you search for T.T
Still, sounds very interessing!

MusingPhoenix

#3 Post by MusingPhoenix »

Thank you for replying! I could look at examples of your work if you want. :)

mikiwing

#4 Post by mikiwing »

Sure, stiill my drawings are very much anime looking
http://mikiwing.deviantart.com/

MusingPhoenix

#5 Post by MusingPhoenix »

::nod:: Yep, a little too much anime for what I am looking for, but they are still lovely. The shading on the purple dress of the neko is especially beautiful. I really loved that.

mikiwing

#6 Post by mikiwing »

Thanks!
I will cheer you on ~ ^^

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#7 Post by Rinima »

Sounds interesting.
Just out of interest, what is it about?
Cause you may struggle to get anyone if we don't know that story ^^

If you could, would you mind giving at least one character thing (I can not spell) and maybe a bg that you may want so I can have a go at providing it :)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

I would also strongly advise you to share at least some information on the game's actual content with us. While I think what you posted is sufficient to make this a valid, by-the-rules recruitment thread, it's lacking any sort of information on the game's setting, story or characters.

You're asking for unpaid work on what I believe is meant to be a commercial release. The least you should do is excite others about working for you, and that your game "has a fully realized story arc and gameflow charts" won't be enough "to get across the basics of my vision". If you elaborate a little, you may find people to be much more appreciative of your requests.

That said, you should maybe try to offer at least some compensation for your prospective team members. Asking for free help on something you want to make money with eventually may be considered bad form.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

MusingPhoenix

#9 Post by MusingPhoenix »

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I have amended my original post with my High Concept statement, to give people a better idea of the general plot.

I very much intend to provide monetary compensation to my team if funding pans out. I state this in my original post. I'm just not going to promise that as a definite thing unless I know it will be.

If the game goes commercial and there was no funding received for it, then those who worked on it will likely receive a percentage of the profits. I'm certainly not out to screw anyone over!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#10 Post by Rinima »

Just wondered, but have you managed to find an artist?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

TwilightOfTheSoul
Regular

#11 Post by TwilightOfTheSoul »

MusingPhoenix wrote:If the game goes commercial and there was no funding received for it, then those who worked on it will likely receive a percentage of the profits. I'm certainly not out to screw anyone over!
Might I suggest working out an arrangement that is more practical? Giving a percentage of sales is a *lot* of work potentially for decades from now. Instead you might want to make an arrangement where the first x profit of sales goes towards funding your crew (where x is what you would have commissioned them for plus maybe a bonus since they are taking a risk in the first place), and the rest is pure profit.

That puts the bulk of the risk and reward on you, the leader, so it means you have the greatest investment in seeing it become as successful as possible (which makes it easier for people to work with you). Keep in mind that this does mean if you never break that point, that you will never see a dime for it, but it also has the potential to make you a lot more money than a percentage system would if demand exceeds a certain point, and eases the burden of maintaining micro-payments at regular intervals for the rest of your life.

MusingPhoenix

#12 Post by MusingPhoenix »

Thank you for the suggestion, Twilight! I'll definitely look into that option. I hadn't considered all the details of that, so I appreciate your response.

To answer the question about an artist, I have indeed signed a wonderful artist to the project now. I'm also interviewing multiple programmers, and when I make my final selection, I'll be closing out this thread. :)