Recruiting a CG artist! (Unpaid) ~Closed for now.

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Viobli
Regular
Projects: *Truly, Friends *Lady Eun-mi

Recruiting a CG artist! (Unpaid) ~Closed for now.

#1 Post by Viobli »

Hello there! I've been working on a game, the name is "Truly, Friends". It is going to be a rather short KN, but I also want to have custom GUI + CGs for it since I want to put in my best effort. As much as I would like to draw the CGs and sprites myself, this is like... my 3rd time using the pen tool in Photoshop. So I figured out that it'd be better if I recruit artists instead ^^ Here are the details:
Type of game: Non-commercial KN
Resolution: 800×600
Gameplay time: Approx. 3-4 mins long (Hmm, isn't that much longer than the previous one, huh? but well, I kind of speed read it... so yeah.) New demo might be all of Orli's POV.
Age rating: Everyone
Genre: [GxG] Friendship, Slice-Of-Life.

Light.
Light is really cruel.
Instead of getting people's hopes up, why not let them remain in the darkness?
Cruel. How cruel you are, light.
But how foolish I am for trusting that light.
===================================
Maybe having friends is a common thing for normal people like you and me, but that was not the case for Orli Abel. She contracted a disease named Methemoglobinemia, resulting her skin to turn blue. Children made fun of her; adults shot her with their sympathetic glances. Orli had already accepted her fate, and even began to lose hope to her life -- until she met Nadia Beryl. That encounter, mysteriously, transformed her life 180 degrees that she could never have probably guessed.

Characters:

Orli Abel
Childish, yet is very mature at some point. She has a tendency to replace her 'I's with her name, and likes to draw in her spare time.
Important traits: Pale blue eyes, pale blue skin, pale blue hair. (and pale blue clothes.)
Elaborated profile: Orli's parents were really busy; therefore Orli never had a chance to talk to them of her problems. When she was younger, she picked up a pencil to draw a flower that she saw. That was when she discovered that she liked art. The paper was like her world where she could draw whatever she please freely. Therefore, she always drew whenever she had time.
Interesting facts (?): She is often very serious and rarely cracks jokes but that is what makes her funny xD

Nadia Beryl
A very independent girl that can take care of herself, Nadia looks at her life positively and tries to befriend as many people as possible.
Important traits: This isn't really important but her skin is paler than most people.
Elaborated profile: Nadia and her mother were very close with each other as her father was often away from work. Nadia was interested in cooking when she saw her mother baking a cake for her, thus she wanted to learn how to cook. Despite the fact that she was really young, she already learnt how to toast bread and make simple cookies.
Interesting facts (?): Always teases Orli with her 'seriousness' whenever she gets the chance xD P.S. When competing with her at a who's-more-stubborn contest, I guarantee you 99% of the time she wins ^^.

Secondary characters (Appears in CGs):
Nadia Beryl's Mother - Mrs. Beryl (Deceased) ~ Appears in 2 CGs.
A compassionate mother that brings Nadia up from her slouch.
Important traits: None.

Progress:
Script:
Orli’s point of view – 75% (NOTE: Up to Event a, tweaking is finished.)
Nadia’s point of view – 0% (This will be worked on after Orli's POV)
GUI: 100% (GUI done and coded.)
Sprites: 25% (Orli & Nadia’s basic concept finished.)
Backgrounds: ~ (Indefinite)
Music: 10% (Added to some scenes here and there)
CGs (include Nadia’s family portrait+Orli’s drawing in Event b): 5% (Done concept for Orli’s drawing in Event b! Working on the family portrait.)

~Requiring:

+CG Artist
The CG artist will be asked to do all of the CGs in the KN. The CGs are as follows:
Orli's POV
-> Orli's drawing (3 variations, black&white in all) [COMPLETED] - http://fufuotome.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/paper.jpg This is in 4 states - Base, Hand, Line, Drawing. The CG artist only needs to do the Hand, Line and Drawing states. All of the backgrounds for these must be transparent so I can put the lineouts on the paper. (Note: Orli's hand and pencil are colored.)
-> Orli & Nadia in the hospital (Expression variations [Reused in Nadia's POV]) [?] - Nadia lying on the hospital bed, while Orli is sitting beside the bed.
-> Artist Orli (Expression variations) [?] - Adult Orli painting.
Nadia's POV
-> Nadia & Mother (Expression variations) [?] - Nadia sitting on the bed, while Mother is sitting beside her.
-> Nadia's mother's portrait [WIP] - The title is self-explanatory. (no variations)
-> Orli in orphanage [?] - Orli is surrounded by children. (? variations)
Total in all: 6 CGs & 3-? variations.
^1 CG (including variations) concept finished^
*Please take note that for Orli's and Nadia's sprites, the CG artist has to refer to the sprite artist's art while for some other sprites (Like Nadia's mother for example) You have to draw your own, but don't worry I'll still draw the concept ^^
~Add-on: There might be a decrease on CGs as I might just find backgrounds from creative commons section and edit the sprites a little to make it look like a CG haha. That all really depends and I might cut down on some CGs which I find that the concept can suffice as a CG itself (mostly occurs for the black&white CGs)

Preferable style: I don't really know much about styles, so any style that can fit to the game best I guess.
-> Also, I hope that we can stay in contact weekly, so I know we're still alive and kicking. :)

NEW DEMO which is approx. 3-4 mins long (When Orli's POV is done, I'll add that as the demo.):
Truly, Friends-1.0-all.zip
(25.72 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Statistics:
The game contains 132 dialogue blocks, containing 986 words and 5,484
characters, for an average of 7.5 words and 42 characters per block.
The game contains 0 menus, 24 images, and 14 screens.

Features:
-> Sprite concepts. (Unfortunately, sprites haven't been posted yet, so everyone has to bear with my horrible concept art .-.)
-> Free backgrounds from Creative Commons section
-> Custom GUI for everything (I noticed some parts are weird though... so might tweak this part later)
-> Prologue for Orli's POV only. (But this time there's more info I guess.)
-> It should work for all platforms, however, I am only able to test it on Windows, so I'm not sure for Mac and Linux.
Future Demo (and possibly final) Features:
-> Sprites from sprite artist.
-> Free backgrounds from Creative Commons section
-> Custom GUI for everything
-> Orli's POV
-> Working for all platforms.
Future Add-on Features (For whole game):
-> 2 POVs.
-> Custom GUI for everything
-> Royalty-free music.

Credits:
Writing, Programming & Most GUI: Viobli
Sprite Artist: Hazel-Bun
CG Artist: -
Backgrounds: Creative Commons
*Special thanks to Google, there were a lot of stuff that I could refer to to improve all the concepts and script to the best of my ability!

*Applies for EVERYONE recruited*
~> I'll make sure to keep you updated of whatever progress has been made to the game. (E.g. Changes of plot, finishing of whatever section)
~> I will answer your queries to the best of my ability.
~> We want to work as a team. Yes, maybe we are focusing on different aspects (like writing and art respectively) but we can still give suggestions for each other. And even if we disagree on something, let's discuss it again. It might be a short project, but let's do it to the best we can!

I've included whatever detail I think needs to be added but if I still missed out any detail, please inform me and I'll correct it asap. (Also, feedback is also deeply appreciated!) Thank you very much!
Attachments
Truly, Friends-1.0-all.zip
(23.03 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by Viobli on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:10 am, edited 17 times in total.

Viobli
Regular

Re: Recruiting sprite + CG artists! (Unpaid)

#2 Post by Viobli »

I've found a sprite artist for the sprites! (: The CG artist position is still vacant though, so feel free to send me a PM if interested!

Viobli
Regular

Re: Recruiting sprite + CG artists! (Unpaid)

#3 Post by Viobli »

Okay, I have a better idea on how many CGs are needed. For now, I think 7 CGs will be needed, and it's rather unlikely to add anymore CGs.
As for the progress, I did a quarter of the epilogue and also planned out more detailed information for the characters. I'm currently working on a CG concept and the sprite artist has also sent in a message that she is sketching for now and is likely to post soon. Also, I'll update the demo because I found out that I've changed quite a bit of info for the characters. Hopefully I can upload the new demo by this week. Maybe I should create a WIP thread instead of spamming this thread with progress o.o

Viobli
Regular

Re: Recruiting a CG artist! (Unpaid)

#4 Post by Viobli »

Okay, I changed the post and added some more info (Since the sprite artist told me that the demo wasn't giving much info... so I decided to add a little bit of what Nadia and Orli likes.) I'll also be adding the secondary characters who will be in the CGs tomorrow... because I'm really tired now lol. Good night :)

UPDATE: Unfortunately due to some issues I'll probably upload the demo tomorrow or Sunday. However, the demo will now contain the FULL GUI and more polished writing I guess since there will be more time for me to proofread the script. And maybe, events will be added in addition with the demo.
Also added secondary characters. I contemplated if I should add the very minor characters but I suppose not since they're really minor anyway. (Actually, Nadia's father is also very minor, but he's in the family portrait... so yeah. I'll be adding descriptions for each CG since I don't have the concepts yet. But I'll be adding the CG concept I have for one of them.)

Viobli
Regular

Re: Recruiting a CG artist! (Unpaid) ~Updated demo!

#5 Post by Viobli »

Updated demo!
You can see the new features stated in the post.
(I tested to save on one of the save slots and now can't get the save out even by deleting persistent. AAAH! But I hope it won't be that much of a bother.) There are also minor coding problems here and there (Like coding the textbox which I nearly pulled my hair out, and yes/no hover not showing...) However, playing the game should not be a problem. ^^

Viobli
Regular

Re: Recruiting a CG artist! (Unpaid) ~Updated demo!

#6 Post by Viobli »

I updated a couple of stuff (and changed the summary AGAIN. Okay, just the quote, but still...)
Anyway... this game is going a little to the psychological path now... (Because I always have the tendency to do that now o.O) Up to October I will be having exams, so little to no progress will be done during this period I guess D: Still, there will be lots of time during October to December and hopefully I can catch up on the progress then! ^^
(P.S. When I finish Orli's POV I will create a WIP thread so I don't spam this thread with progress lol)

Viobli
Regular

Re: Recruiting a CG artist! (Unpaid) ~Closed for now.

#7 Post by Viobli »

All right, so here are a few updates!
I'll be closing this thread for now since I need to 100% plus chop confirm the number of CGs (There's a lot of changes.) I've finished the epilogues so far (when I haven't even complete the stories... I know lol.) I'll open this again when the script is near completion/completed. ^^