Artist for Hire [Queue Full] +Q&A/Examples

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
XxrenxX
Veteran
Projects: Chasing
Deviantart: bara-ettie

Artist for Hire [Queue Full] +Q&A/Examples

#1 Post by XxrenxX »

Sprites:
I ask for reference of the character you want, as well as ideas for textures their clothing may have. If you are unsure I am more than willing to experiment for you if you give me some general colours. I also do not mind helping you create an outfit for a character, if all you have for their appearance. Again for this I will at least need to know what style of clothing you picture that character wearing. Why? It can help show their personality, for instance a character wearing a suit may be more strict and mannered where someone wearing jeans and a t-shirt could be more laid back. An outfit can say a lot about a character.

I do all my sprites really large, to ensure I can add the details needed so when I am finished with a sprite, I can re-size them for you for your game, just tell me the size you'll need in pixels.
Prices:
Torso Coloured Base: $20
+$5 for facial expressions
[Not all sprites will need expressions, if you need 5 or less, I won't charge]
+$5 for secondary outfit
Full Body Coloured Base: $25
+$5 for facial expressions
+$10 for secondary outfit
[Secondary outfit includes one additional hairstyle as well if wanted]
Below image is a temp sprite I mad last night. Not 100% but should be enough to show my style. Click for larger version.
Full Body Sprite Prev. [Fantasy]
Full Body Sprite Prev. [Fantasy]
Expressions Example 1
Expressions Example 1
This is an old sprite [Last year] My style has changed but this is the current largest expression chart I have made at the moment that I am allowed to share.
This is an old sprite [Last year] My style has changed but this is the current largest expression chart I have made at the moment that I am allowed to share.
Chibi's:
I know some people love having these in their game, such as an about section of a character or even the love screen. Again the process will be like the sprites, however if you already have a sprite made I will just use that for reference. Also with sprites, I work at a large scale, so if you need it sized down, tell me in pixels and I will do it for you.
Prices:
Coloured: $10 Ea.
/Groups of 5 will be $25 [Save 50%]
Chibi Prev, styles sometimes vary.
Chibi Prev, styles sometimes vary.
CG:
This is art that is telling a scene, if anyone has played a Visual Novel before you know it will normally show the main character interacting with another such as a kiss. It doesn't have to be something nice either, sometimes it can show a fight or a death of a character. Either or, most VN's would be a bit boring without some full scaled work.
All I need for this is who the characters in said scene are [if you have sprites I'll use that for reference] as well as where, cause it would look odd without a background. Another thing I'll need to know is the time of day [if it's outside] and/or where the main light source is. Lighting can help set a mood so I need to know if to help set that for you. If you are unsure just describe how you would like it to feel.
Prices:
Full Scale: $35 Ea.
/Groups of 10 = $200 [Save $150]
/Groups of 20 = $400 [Save $300]
/Groups of 30+ = $5 Each.
CG_Prev.png
Backgrounds:
I do all my backgrounds in 3D, however if you want it to be drawn instead I am willing to do that as well. References will be needed such as the type of furniture in the scene, colours the room will have and so on and so forth. Also I like adding details so there is a chance there may be a small item added into a scene you did not ask for. My reason for doing this is simple to make the scene look like it's lived in, for instance a kitchen I might add a dirty dish or two in the sink, the living room I may add some photo to a far wall or little ornaments of sort.
Prices:
3D: $15
Drawn>Lines: $15
Drawn>Coloured: $25
/Groups of 10 = $75/75/125. [Save 50%] <3D/Lined/Coloured>
/Groups of 20 = $100/$100/$200 [Save $200/$200/$300] <3D/Lined/Coloured>
3D Backgrounds Prev, light filters applied to look more like paintings.
3D Backgrounds Prev, light filters applied to look more like paintings.
2D Preview. Lines/Colour
2D Preview. Lines/Colour
If you have any questions please leave a comment. If you are interested in hiring me then please email collettespain@gmail.com

All I request is I can post some of the art to my DA

General Questions & Answers

Why are my prices higher then other artists here? I am trying to make a living off of my art, so I am charging with that in mind. I am, from my standpoint, offering a deal with these prices as I am not charging hourly, I'm actually charging for half, if not less, of the actual time it takes me to do these. Art can take me anywhere from 2 hours [such as a chibi] to 12 hours [cg and sprites].

If you really want to hire me, but cannot afford to send me an email. I'm willing to negotiate with prices, I would prefer not to lower them but I know how it is when you want to hire someone but unable to.

How will we pay you? I accept payments through PayPal, but if you do not have a paypal you can write me a cheque. I will not accept cash payments for a few reasons. 1) I live in Canada, and a lot of people who have hired me in the past are American. I do not want to pay to convert. I ask all payments be converted or made into Canadian dollars. If you are unsure what the exchange rate is just google it, it can do the math for you. 2) I do not trust people mailing money, not because of who mailed it, but because of who handles it before it gets to me. PayPal is safest in my opinion, cheques come after as that is something addressed to me personally.

Due to some past issues I now require a "deposit" before I start any work. If your order is small it can be 50%, if you are hiring me for a longer term, such as art for most of your game, you can pay me in sections. We can figure it out at the time of which you message me.

How many expressions do I get in the $10? As many as you want/need. I see lots of people charge per expression but you can make a lot of expressions using parts of previous expressions, for instance you can use one set of eyes for 2-3 different expressions. I stated above if you only need 5 or less expressions I want charge, that's because it's more than likely for a side character, if they aren't one of the main you see in a game, I don't see a point on charging extra to have a character be angry and then the only other emotion they'll show is sad.

Can we get different poses? I charge for a whole new sprite if you are wanting a secondary pose. Why? Because I have to make the sprite all over again, there is nothing I can reuse from that sprite. However I will charge significantly less for something such as changing an arm pose [$5] It's much simpler for me to do that, it also costs you less and it takes less time to do, so long as I am told before hand about what change you want.

Have you done art for a visual novel before? Yes, some of the art I used above is actually from it. I have my own I was working on but it's currently on hiatus/a side project so I can try and earn myself some living money, such as rent and food.

Have you done anything past art for a VN? Yupp. For Like I said in the last question, I have my own I am working on. I am the writer, coder, artist and what not for it. I found music I am allowed to use and I have someone as an editor to help me out. In short I do everything aside from music, voices/sounds and final editing.

Are you available/comfortable doing 18+ Artwork? Yes. I have drawn nude people before via college [life drawing classes] so I am more than willing to if you want. I will not charge extra for it, it'll be the same prices as above.

Are you working on any projects right now? Maybe. I've been asked to do work for a project but they haven't gotten back to me about it. I do not mind working on more than one project, as I do not have a job, I have a lot more free time than most.

How are you with deadlines? Fairly good, I've never gone over one without good reason, such as the director of a project wanted something changed in a piece of work and it simply took longer to fix/alter then first thought. If I know I am going to miss a deadline, I normally email the person in charge and let them know before the deadline comes, unless I didn't know until then. I try and stay on all my deadlines, but do not ask me to rush my work, that will just make the quality degrade.

What do you do your sprites and art in? I use Photoshop CS6, I am pretty familiar with it so I can do most if not all of my work in it. Anything 2D is done in that program.

How would you send us the finished sprites? That depends on you. I keep everything for one sprite organized and correctly labeled in a PSD file so I can go back and add, or edit things if needed. For you I can easily render the expressions you want as PNG, put into a zip or rar folder and send them to you. I would prefer doing the second as not everyone has Photoshop but its entirely up to you.

Am I allowed to sell the game if I use your art? Yes. you are paying for my work so if you want to sell the finished product of the game you are more than welcome to. Even if you do not sell the game and just release it for free. Again this is a decision you make, buying my art simply means I am giving you the rights to use it for anything relating to that project, even if your using some of the CG work for an ad.

Do you upload your commissions anywhere? Yes. I will sometimes post WIP's on my tumblr and the finished work I will put on my DeviantArt. If you do not wish for me to do either of these please state so. If I upload to DA I will normally include a link to your game for you, think of it as an extra bit of helping you get views.

How long does it take for you to make a background? 10-15 hours of work. The 3D ones take less time to do but the lined and coloured work will take longer. Keep this in mind when hiring me for background work. I usually like 2 to 3 days to work on a single background.
Attachments
other_Prev.png
Last edited by XxrenxX on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:21 am, edited 36 times in total.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

Re: Artist For Hire [Sprites/Chibi/Full Scale Work/Backgroun

#2 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Such clean lineart and coloring! *__* I see many opportunities in your future.

Honest Critique

NeoAngelique
Regular

Re: Artist For Hire [Sprites/Chibi/Full Scale Work/Backgroun

#3 Post by NeoAngelique »

Your art is really good. I hope that you would get many opportunities in the future.

XxrenxX
Veteran

Re: Artist for Hire [Open] +Q&A/Examples

#4 Post by XxrenxX »

I just making a comment to let everyone know I pretty much updated the whole page, if you hadn't already seen that. I also uploaded once of my old sprites to show more expressions I can do.

XxrenxX
Veteran

#5 Post by XxrenxX »

Prices Updated. Lowered a few things.

OpenH

-

#6 Post by OpenH »

-
Last edited by OpenH on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanae
Regular

#7 Post by Sanae »

Do you have an example of a colored background you've done in the past?

XxrenxX
Veteran

#8 Post by XxrenxX »

Sanae wrote:Do you have an example of a colored background you've done in the past?
I have uploaded a preview of my lined/coloured work.

OpenH

-

#9 Post by OpenH »

-
Last edited by OpenH on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Artist for Hire [Queue Full] +Q&A/Examples

#10 Post by briannavon »

Do you accept Western Union? :D
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

Snowjoker
Regular
Completed: None =0
Projects: EX-Terminators[RPG/VN Hybrid]

Re: Artist for Hire [Queue Full] +Q&A/Examples

#11 Post by Snowjoker »

While I don't need an artist at the time, I just had to drop by when I saw Noiz from Dramatical Murder XD and say your art's really pretty/very clean lineart and shading! Good luck on your future projects!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=27211
EX-Terminators: Accept Your Destiny
Upcoming RPG/VN Hybrid, sci-fi and psychological game (with just a little bit of horror XD)