Game Details and Commission Specifics:
-For a full overview of the game, please consult our WIP thread.
-The game has ~1,500 lines of dialogue (35,000 words).
-As we intend to sell the game commercially, we are commissioning our voice actors. We will attempt to make payment as uniform as possible but are aware that the varying size of the roles may amount to proportionally different sums of compensation. The final figures will depend on how the budget holds out, but we are willing to consider the asking prices of interested voice artists to ensure as fair a payment as possible. Resultantly, when you are auditioning you may provide a rough estimate and/or quote as to the fees you charge should you wish to do so.
Sending in Auditions:
Auditions can be posted to this forum, sent by PM, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments or additional inquires about the game or job specifics can also be sent through these methods. If submitting takes via email, please ensure that you indicate what your lemmasoft username is.
Additionally, please ensure that your auditions are sent without processing. Our audio team will process ALL of the auditions that are sent in, so the end result will be uniform for all interested parties.
Please label your auditions in the following format:
If you are submitting individual files for each line, please label the specific line after the role:
Ex.) smith_jaden_line 2
Audio Format for Auditions:
.Wav files are preferred, but .ogg files are also accepted. Please contact me if you have any trouble converting your takes out of an mp3 format.
There is no set deadline for the audition process. We will keep the auditions open until all of the characters have been assigned a voice artist. Additionally, the thread will be updated to reflect whether certain roles have been filled.
Once your takes are submitted, they will be sent to our audio team for processing. This is to ensure that all of the auditions are of a uniform quality. Once processed, the takes are forwarded to our voice-acting panel which will render a decision for each of the roles.
Attached below are brief synopses for the game’s voiced characters as well as the corresponding lines for audition takes.
For voice artists interested in non-swearing roles, neither Alexa Sanders nor the News Reporter (female) have any cursing in their dialogue.
When submitting your auditions, please indicate the general rate of payment you charge for your services. If you do not have a preference concerning the payment sum or are offering your services for free, please indicate this as well.
The Voice Acting Decision Panel has come to a consensus regarding the casting of a few characters. We will be contacting the selected voice artists over this week to confirm their availability. Once confirmed, the post will be updated to reflect the characters that have been cast. Thank you for your patience during the Holiday Season, and thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in the game and for all of the auditions. All of the submissions thus far have been of exception quality!
The first set of cuts have been made for the voice casting. In some circumstances, many voice artists are still being considered for a role, but some official casting offers have been made to a few voice actors/actresses. Every voice artist who has applied should have been contacted via email or PM response. If you auditioned and did not receive any email notification either for the receipt of your submission or an indication to the current status of your consideration please contact me immediately.
Second cuts should be made in a few days time, and the thread will be updated accordingly to reflect the casting of characters.
Thanks once again for everyone's interest in the game and, I stress one again, the quality of all the auditions was exceptionally high.
The following characters have been cast:
Ryota: Ethan Nakashima
Thanks to all who applied, and we apologize for the slower frequency of updates during the holiday season.
“The greatest wisdom is gained within the shadows.”
Update (12/19): Congratulations to Ethan Nakashima for being cast as Ryota!
A nineteen-year-old male attending his first year in university, Ryota is a calm, introspective individual who trusts his intellect above all else. Extremely analytical, he prefers studying the inner workings of human nature rather than immersing himself in society. Possessing an independent and self-reliant nature, his thirst for knowledge is insatiable. By chance, he becomes involved in the search for the Whispering Shadow, and is consequently thrust into the world of magic and the occult.
• (Heroic) I’m not going to die here, and neither is anyone else!
• (Suspicious/Inquisitive) That’s the second time you’ve mentioned your ‘work.’ What exactly do you do anyway? Are you some kind of assassin?
• (Exasperated) Frivolity and ambiguity—what an unpleasant combination.
• (Affirming) Actually, I did. I’m heading home now to do some research. Talk to you later—and don’t come over, no matter how lonely you get.
• (Defensive) Is there something wrong with that? I just prefer being alone.
Sophia Belleamie (Female): 200+ Lines
“Light shines brightest in those with strength.”
Update (12/19): Congratulations to Adoxographist for being cast as Sophia!
A victim of the devastating Euro Zone War, Sophia escaped a ravaged France as a young child. She spent months wandering the countryside, her personality hardening as the chaos of war engulfed the continent. She eventually made her way into Russia, where her inherent lethality drew the attention of the Russian Orthodox Church. Recruited into the Church’s “Executor” program, Sophia has subsequently risen through the ranks to become one of its deadliest agents.
In recent months, Sophia has been sent to Japan to investigate the string of deaths surrounding the Whispering Shadow, working with her handler Ivan to discover the truth behind the grizzly murders.
Sophia is a combat and magical prodigy, excelling in Russian Style Holy Magic and Creationism and displaying advanced martial proficiency. Despite her ruthless professionalism, Sophia exhibits a surprising playfulness to her friends, perhaps a lingering remnant of the innocent child she once was.
**Note: Sophia’s lines should be read with a slight French accent. Do your best! ☺
• (Condemning) Ivan, I would think that my recreations are far less damning than your own.
• (Alluring) You know, I would be extremely grateful to someone who helped me get inside. I can already imagine the pleasure of showing my gratitude.
• (Mocking—During Combat) What’s wrong? You wouldn’t shut up two minutes ago.
• (Playfully Seductive) Ahh mon amour, have you already forgotten? Quelle indécence! And you were such a gentleman last night!”
• (Informative) The Whispering Shadow uses a rare form of magic known informally as ‘Mind Domination.’ It’s a devastating ability that allows it to ensnare and overpower victims’ minds. As far as we know, the technique is fatal.
Alexa Sanders (Female): ~150 Lines
“The chains of the past will always bind us.”
In the midst of the Euro Zone War, Alexa was abandoned by her family as they desperately fled across the continent. Taken in by the Silent Workers, she was trained as a child soldier and molded into a perfect killer.
The subsequent years of psychological torture and physical abuse wore on Alexa, and she is now nothing more than a shell of the person she once was. Distrustful of everyone and embittered at the callousness of humanity, she currently follows the Silent Workers in quiet servitude.
• (Disturbingly Stoic) It’s not my place to think. I’m no different than the tools they use to torture you, a weapon fashioned for a singular purpose. Servitude binds me to this place.
• (Pleading) Ryota! Please don’t give up! I’ve never met anyone like you before. No one ever lasts this long…you’re so much stronger than I could ever be.
• (Emotional—Sad) I-I can’t be a part of this anymore. The Silent Workers…they’re evil . My entire life I’ve been forced to do terrible things. I just can’t take it anymore.”
• (Hopeful) So, we’ll stick together to the end? You promise?
• (Emotional—Happy) Ryota. I . . .I was nothing before this, just a shell of a person. But you—words can’t express what you mean to me.
The Listener (Male): ~100-150 Lines
-Age: Late 30s.
“The will of men is easily broken.”
Cold, ruthless, calculating—the Listener is the embodiment of the Silent Worker ideal. And for those who brave the underworld of Tokyo, he has come to be the manifestation of fear. With a keen intellect and unmatched strategic prowess, the Listener rose quickly in the Silent Worker ranks, swiftly becoming the Black Hand’s most trusted lieutenant. Acting as the leader’s eyes and ears, the Listener has become an invaluable asset, and the Silent Workers have become a formidable force under his cruel leadership. However, his true talents lie in the realm of information gathering, and horrifying stories of his sadistic treatment of captives have unnerved even his closest allies.
• (Incensed/Crazed) Answer me boy—how are you and this watch connected?
• (Taunting) I assume you are aware of your situation? You are defenseless, hopelessly vulnerable to my every action. I will bend you—break you to my will. It is inevitable.
• (Satisfied) Well now, I daresay I’ve created a masterpiece. That mutilated look of depravity quite suits you.
• (Informative) I don’t think you understand just how powerful this object is. Do you know what I could do with the secrets it contains? The possibilities are endless.
• (Scornful) You’re all the same—filthy animals who cling to the foolish hope that someone cares about you. You believe in the illusion of heroism, longing for some grandiose savior to deliver you from this plight. They’re lies, all of them. There is no salvation for you, only pain and suffering.
Ivan Zhirou (Male): ~75-100 Lines
“The soul is a small price to pay for power.”
As enigmatic as he is unsettling, Ivan is a polarizing figure within the Russian Orthodox Church. Once exiled for his dark methods, he has recently been reinstated due to the Church’s acknowledgment that his formidable knowledge and abilities are needed to stymie its waning power. Now stationed in Tokyo, his duties include monitoring the progress of Sophia’s investigation. Yet despite his apparent willingness to assist the Church, many still question the mage’s true intentions.
• (Condemning) Do not question me, Sophia. You are nothing—your magic but an impotent wisp in the wake of a true magus.
• (Mocking) (Deep, subtle laughter)…It appears you are not completely worthless. Yes, it is true there is a sort of…intoxicating appeal to killing.
• (Subtle Emotion—as if regressing into memories of his own) Even the most savage killer retains an inherent pride in his work. For him, the sensation is euphoric, and he will long to relive that moment.
• (Muted Admiration) Killers relish their trade—for them, killing is an art, and for every artist there is a muse, a canvas upon which their masterpiece is crafted.
• (Taunting) At last you see! The watch you seem so keen to cast about is the last will and testament of Satoru Kiyoshi—the original practitioner of Mind Domination Magic.
Muhsin Nasri (Male): ~75 Lines
“The world of men is a fickle thing.”
One of the last descendants of the ancient ‘Wise Men’, Muhsin is a talented mage adept in the magics of the sand-walkers. Once a prominent businessman, his subsequent bankruptcy left him a delusional and cynical man. Chancing upon Satoru Kiyoshi, the two became fast friends, forming the basis for the Abyss Company that was founded soon after.
Satoru’s disappearance was a devastating blow for Muhsin. Since then, he has poured all of his efforts into locating his former comrade.
• (Sarcastic) Still with the dramatic entrances, Sarah?
• (Inquisitive) What do we do, boss? We aren’t prepared to fight the shadow. He’ll sniff out the boy and kill him in an instant.
• (Cynical) Just one little issue darling, this train-yard is huge. How are we going to find the Black Hand here?
• (Impatient) I don’t give a shit whether you can ‘keep this up.’ If you want to live—run! If you stop, you bet your ass I’m leaving you behind.
• (Frustrated) You think?! We don’t have time to fucking guess right now—we won’t have another shot at this.”
Sarah Kiyoshi (Female): ~75 Lines
“A guiding hand is a precious gift.”
The wife of Satoru Kiyoshi, Sarah was one of the founding members of the Abyss Company. With the company now defunct in the wake of Satoru’s disappearance, Sarah has focused on raising her two daughters Amaya and Suki. Sarah’s motherly kindness and relaxed personality in no way imply diminishing skill, as she continues to remain one of the most powerful mages in the world.
• (Playful) Come in, Ryota. The girls are upstairs. Play nice okay? I don’t want them getting pregnant yet.
• (Mediating) Now, now—why don’t we all calm down?
• (Speculative) Well, it is possible, but nobody has created a new form of magic in centuries—nobody but Satoru at least. If only you had met my husband—if anybody could do it, it was him.
• (Mock Surprise) Well, Muhsin—looks like you’re good at something other than deceiving women and pissing away money.
• (Authoritative) Man up, both of you! Amaya, I raised you to be more responsible. And Muhsin—enough with the bullshit. I refuse to babysit you two.
Amaya Kiyoshi: (Female): ~75-100 Lines
“Mankind will always condemn that which it cannot comprehend.”
Talented and intelligent, Amaya Kiyoshi is the one of the most promising students in Tokyo. However, her silent intensity often intimidates those around her, and the necessity of hiding her magical abilities has resulted in a cold detachment from her peers. Amaya has few relationships of note, but she extends fierce loyalty to those who manage to get close to heart and exhibits unconditional protectiveness over her remaining family.
• (Irritation) Scientists always find some way to discredit these findings. Laugh all you want, but occultism is intrinsically linked to the development of human kind.
• (Incensed) So you think a couple of shock-value, poorly written books give you the right to stand up here and spew your half-assed theories to the class? It’s amazing that you have the audacity to lie to our faces.
• (Suspicious) An odd question coming from you, Ryota. The better question would be what brings you to this part of the city…and with unexpected company it would seem.
• (Condescending) I know it’s none of my business with whom you associate, but fraternizing with certain people will have disastrous consequences.
• (Snide) Do try and act with a bit more discretion. Caution is more important now than ever.
Suki Kiyoshi (Female): ~50-75 Lines
“Without faith, we are nothing.”
Like her older sister Amaya, Suki is a magus of the renowned Kiyoshi family. But while her sister maintains an air of cold deference, Suki is energetic and temperamental. She is fiercely territorial about her friends and is eager to prove her magical proficiency to her family. However, her passion for magic has fueled an insatiable hunger for power, and she has begun to study darker magics with the hope of augmenting her abilities.
• (Forceful) Ryota! Open this door you idiot! I’ll break it down if you aren’t here in five seconds.
• (Sarcastic) Yeah, they’re all VERY different. That’s like saying muffins and cupcakes are the same thing. Dumbass.
• (Whiny/Pouty) Ryota! Quit flirting with my sister!
• (Shocked) Amaya! Don’t say things like that!
• (Playful Mocking) My name is Amaya and I’m such an egghead! But it’s okay because I’m also cold and dismissive with an air of mystery. I use REALLY big words that scare away all the boys except for Ryota, but even though he’s always there for me we’re just friends. Isn’t that splendid?”
Mori Tadou (Male): ~50-75 Lines
“A life of ambition can only lead to disappointment.”
Update (12/19): Congratulations to Ghostwriter37 for being cast as Tadou!
A close friend of Ryota’s, Tadou is a self-proclaimed otaku with a deep interest in visual novels and history. Despite his inherent intelligence, Tadou prefers a life of leisure and neglects his studies, choosing instead to spend time out with his friends or playing video games.
• (Instigative) I mean, it’s always the same with these stories: some quack pulls a fast one on a journalist and a crappy ‘discovery’ gets published; the public goes wild for a time, and pretentious assholes like you act like it’s the second coming of Christ.
• (Playful) I am not most men, Ryota. I am destined for greatness. My gaming skills have yet to be rivaled.
• (Pleasantly Surprised) Hmm… ethernets, flash drives, a portable hard-drive—wow, I didn’t know your mom was into this stuff. Jesus, she even requested a customized motherboard.
• (Playful) Come on, we'll play a couple rounds to get the juices flowing and then the ideas should start pouring in.
• (Crestfallen) Do you know how hard it was to see her every day after she dumped me? She never thought I was good enough for her, but I tried to be better. I tried to be exactly what she wanted, but obviously it wasn't enough. And when she got bored of me she just left, like none of that ever mattered."
Jaden Wright (Male): ~75-100 Lines
“The fires of vengeance smolder deep within us all.”
Famous for his series of polarizing books concerning the Occult and Science, Jaden Wright is a man shrouded in mystery. Not much is known about the man in the years preceding his rise to fame, though he has compensated for his previous obscurity with a newfound hunger for international recognition. Despite being well-spoken and maintaining a veneer of civility, Jaden possesses a subtle hostility in his interactions with others, leading many of his peers to either shirk from his presence or reciprocate his animosity.
• (Introductory) Good afternoon everyone. For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Jaden Wright.
• (Informative) This is not to say that the “occult” has not produced scientifically verifiable truths, but those are undercut by society’s progressive understanding of science and the tools to study it.
• (Passionate) Put simply, these charlatans claim to have psychic or magical abilities despite any conclusive evidence such power even exists.
• (Condescending) Well Miss Kiyoshi, perhaps the better question would be what gives you the right to stand here and disrupt this discussion with your juvenile opinions?
• (Incensed) I resent that accusation!
News Reporter (Female): ~25 Lines
Age: Late 30s
A female newscaster who reports on the various activities of Tokyo.
• (Informative) Today, another homicide victim was discovered in the Kagurazaka district at 6:09 AM. This marks the eleventh death in a series of unexplained murders in Tokyo. As in previous cases, the body was found in an isolated area and no eyewitnesses have stepped forward.
• (Informative) Shifting to celebrity news, the acclaimed author Jaden Wright arrived in Tokyo earlier this afternoon to begin his lecture and book-signing tour across Japan.
Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing all of your auditions!