Looking for fantasy otome artist [shared revenue]

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
MudkipTheDestroyer
Regular
Completed: Bacon 1&2, SummerCamp, The Twins, Club Felin, Escape Cody
Projects: Sooooo many projects... .-.
Organization: Fat Chick Studios

Looking for fantasy otome artist [shared revenue]

#1 Post by MudkipTheDestroyer »

I've been working on a 16+ Fantasy/Romance/Otome Visual Novel called "The Otherworld" for a while now. I was originally planning on making it a free VN, like all of my previous ones, but I've had a few life changes that require me to start charging money. I still want to make it a "donate any amount" novel, so everyone can play it, but I need some help. It's not guaranteed that we'll get any money in donations, but I understand how much effort it takes to do art for a whole VN, so I will share the profits if there are some.

The main problem is, my art is horrible. Nothing close to commercial, so I just something cleaner and more lifelike than mine, if anyone is willing. I'll need character sprites, CG's, and BG's.

Information about the novel:
Main thread = http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=21539
-50k-60k words in length
-Several branching paths
-Fantasy-style scenes
-3 romanceable males (maybe more later)
-70% of main script already written
-Fast paced work

I know this project probably sounds pretty daunting but if I could find an artist who is dedicated, can follow deadlines, and is excited to help, that would be amazing.

If you are interested please PM me! :)
Last edited by MudkipTheDestroyer on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------Sonic------

Completed Projects:

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: Looking for fantasy otome artist [unpaid]

#2 Post by Katta »

Have you considered looking for paid work on other projects? I think it can work better to get some money...

MudkipTheDestroyer
Regular

#3 Post by MudkipTheDestroyer »

Katta wrote:Have you considered looking for paid work on other projects? I think it can work better to get some money...
I'm working on a few paid projects presently, and I really wish I could do some more, but I don't have enough free time to commit to the kind of paid work people are asking for at the moment.
------Sonic------

Completed Projects:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

I've got a suggestion if you don't mind. You could offer to make the artist your partner in the project and when the game is done the two of you could share the profits. You'll definitely increase your chances of finding someone to work with you if you make that part of the deal :>.

Sure you'll lose some of the revenue but well let's be realistic here, if you don't do that you will most likely end up making no money off the project since you'll have no artist to help you and your own art isn't at a commercial level ^^;. Because really the odds of finding a talented, dedicated artist who can keep deadlines and is interested in your idea who is also okay with doing all the artwork for a VN for free so that someone else can keep all the money is well very small ':D.

Of course it is your right to make whatever offer you want and if you're only willing to take someone who'll do it for free it is not my place to say you can't. I just want to point out that offering to give part of the money to an artist is a wise investment for various reasons. For example if the artist is going to get paid at the end it gives them more of a reason to stay, and if it is pay what you want they may be encouraged to do the best they can to increase profits. Plus it shows that you appreciate all the work they are doing and that you realize how important they are to the project.

Anyways I am sorry you are having money troubles and I wish you the best of luck on finding someone.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

MudkipTheDestroyer
Regular

#5 Post by MudkipTheDestroyer »

Googaboga wrote:I've got a suggestion if you don't mind. You could offer to make the artist your partner in the project and when the game is done the two of you could share the profits. You'll definitely increase your chances of finding someone to work with you if you make that part of the deal :>.

Sure you'll lose some of the revenue but well let's be realistic here, if you don't do that you will most likely end up making no money off the project since you'll have no artist to help you and your own art isn't at a commercial level ^^;. Because really the odds of finding a talented, dedicated artist who can keep deadlines and is interested in your idea who is also okay with doing all the artwork for a VN for free so that someone else can keep all the money is well very small ':D.

Of course it is your right to make whatever offer you want and if you're only willing to take someone who'll do it for free it is not my place to say you can't. I just want to point out that offering to give part of the money to an artist is a wise investment for various reasons. For example if the artist is going to get paid at the end it gives them more of a reason to stay, and if it is pay what you want they may be encouraged to do the best they can to increase profits. Plus it shows that you appreciate all the work they are doing and that you realize how important they are to the project.

Anyways I am sorry you are having money troubles and I wish you the best of luck on finding someone.
Thank you for you advice! The only reason I advertised it as being unpaid was because, in doing a donation project, I'd think it would be really likely for no one to end up donating money, and I can't provide the artist with anything ahead of time, so it would be kind of rude for me to advertise it as a paid commercial project when it's not guaranteed to really be either. If the artist wanted a percentage of the end earnings (if there were any), I'd be willing to come to an agreement, due to the reasons you mentioned, but I also don't want to make any forward promises about payment in case we don't get anything, since I've never done a donation-style, or a commercial novel, before.
------Sonic------

Completed Projects:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#6 Post by Googaboga »

That's understandable :]. Perhaps you could change "unpaid" in the thread title to "shared revenue" or something along those lines and then you could add a little explanation to your first post. That way people are aware you are willing to pay them but how much they get or if they get any at all depends on whether the game makes money. It isn't a sure bet for the artist but you'll probably catch more interest with the prospect of payment rather than presenting it as a regular unpaid job.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

MudkipTheDestroyer
Regular

#7 Post by MudkipTheDestroyer »

Googaboga wrote:That's understandable :]. Perhaps you could change "unpaid" in the thread title to "shared revenue" or something along those lines and then you could add a little explanation to your first post. That way people are aware you are willing to pay them but how much they get or if they get any at all depends on whether the game makes money. It isn't a sure bet for the artist but you'll probably catch more interest with the prospect of payment rather than presenting it as a regular unpaid job.
You're right; it's probably a better decision to advertise it that way. Thanks, and I hope I get an interested artist soon. :)
------Sonic------

Completed Projects:

harajukulolita
Regular
Completed: None so far!
Projects: Currently working on... Starlight Wishes
Tumblr: loli-studio
Deviantart: harajukulolita

Re: Looking for fantasy otome artist [shared revenue]

#8 Post by harajukulolita »

This sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind working with you if you haven't found an artist artist. Check out my link and game for samples and pm me if you're still interested :D