Greeny's Ren'Py Services

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

Re: Greeny's Ren'Py Services

#16 Post by Greeny »

SimonLayton wrote:But I have a question, if I were to make a visual novel series (purely VN, nothing advanced) let's say, each game under 15k words, but techically built as seperate games nonetheless, how much would you charge for it? Would I pay 20 for each game, or does the Long Project Package apply?
That depends. If you want a new GUI as well each time, I'm going to have to consider it a new project. Otherwise, I'd be happy to work at extension rates.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Cavalyn
Projects: Intrigue of Houses

#17 Post by Cavalyn »

Hi There, these prices seem fantastic and I'd be happy to use you for a few things. That said I just wanted to ask if the following is possible, and if so at what stage in the ren'py development you would need the VN to be at, in order to implement it. I'm basically a writer, so some of these things will probably seem pretty simple, but I'd frankly rather pay for it to be done well so I can focus on what is honestly going to be a script of 400K+

1) A stats system with three stats. I know the basics of how to have stats be increased by options, and how to have options appear if a stat is a certain level. But I'm not knowledgeable on programming a side window to display them(GUI), and the initial code that might be required in ren'py for their usage. There's no complex combat to be included, so the stats would only need to work for the basis of "if" and "elif" commands. But I would need either a menu page, or a side window panel creating to host the stats in, so the player can see them.

2) A training system. For instance each "daytime" in game you can choose where to dedicate your training with a corresponding random increase in stats (1-3) based on your choice. I can have assets and bg's made for the options. Could this be made as a single set of script (like a "menu" command), that could be copy+pasted at every training interval? (ending with a "jump" after the stat increase, to get back to where the script was before?) Or would you require the entire timeline and script to be done first?

3) Inventory + simple menu. Including money, and a very simple option of items. I.e. 1 weapon slot, 1 armour slot, 2 inventory slots.

4) A shop interface in a particular area, where the PC can use their money to purchase and/or sell items.

That would be it for the short term, but I was wondering at what stages you would require the ren'py script to be at, for them to be implemented? Is it possible for any of them to be done at any stage, assuming the assets used in them could be obtained?

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Greeny »

Those can be done at any stage, yes, as long as you've got the visuals.
You can hire me just for these particular things and do the main scripting yourself just fine. I can write up a system that's relatively easy to use and reuse.

Relatively.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!

sapiboonggames
Veteran
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]

#19 Post by sapiboonggames »

This is... tempting.

Is the price for DSE engine package included in helping to code GUI (main menu, save/load, pref, the planner) or does it only cover the "dating" part of the game (the planner)?

What's the price for something like Tenipuri Girls Be Gracious?
It's basically a dating sim but with a tennis part

I'm not good with coding and this is extra helpful.
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Greeny »

Dating sim package doesn't strictly cover basic GUI, but if the rest of the script isn't part of your order, I'll throw it in at a discounted fee of $5.

As for tennis... That really depends on what kind of tennis gameplay you're thinking of. I don't think I can make actual tennis happen.

sapiboonggames
Veteran

#21 Post by sapiboonggames »

Greeny wrote:Dating sim package doesn't strictly cover basic GUI, but if the rest of the script isn't part of your order, I'll throw it in at a discounted fee of $5.

As for tennis... That really depends on what kind of tennis gameplay you're thinking of. I don't think I can make actual tennis happen.
Ah I see, good to know that. Might commission for the dating sim package.
What if I want to custom the screen for saguaro's message system (the look of it), should I pay extras? Since I want to implement the message system for the dating part too.

Not actual tennis, actually.
Link to image here: http://www.emuparadise.me/ndsbox1/3723b.jpg
It's basically choose to attack either with special move or ordinary move. Then followed by a sequence of animation. There's lots of unlockable skill though. Well, nevermind the tennis idea, I think I'll commission it later.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Greeny »

sapiboonggames wrote:
Greeny wrote:Dating sim package doesn't strictly cover basic GUI, but if the rest of the script isn't part of your order, I'll throw it in at a discounted fee of $5.

Ah I see, good to know that. Might commission for the dating sim package.
What if I want to custom the screen for saguaro's message system (the look of it), should I pay extras? Since I want to implement the message system for the dating part too.
It's not covered, that much I can tell you. To be honest, working on other people's code can be a delicate matter. You can always commission me to make you a new custom messaging system, complete with the look you want.

sapiboonggames
Veteran

#23 Post by sapiboonggames »

Greeny wrote: It's not covered, that much I can tell you. To be honest, working on other people's code can be a delicate matter. You can always commission me to make you a new custom messaging system, complete with the look you want.
I see. What's the estimated price for a custom message system then? Maybe, with typing answers instead of menus to reply feature (like fioricca's doll story one, only there are 2 keywords)?

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Greeny »

sapiboonggames wrote:
Greeny wrote: It's not covered, that much I can tell you. To be honest, working on other people's code can be a delicate matter. You can always commission me to make you a new custom messaging system, complete with the look you want.
I see. What's the estimated price for a custom message system then? Maybe, with typing answers instead of menus to reply feature (like fioricca's doll story one, only there are 2 keywords)?
A custom messaging system with all the bells and whistles... I'll say $20.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#25 Post by Steamgirl »

Very interesting in your services so will send a PM. :)

Cavalyn

#26 Post by Cavalyn »

Hi Greeny,

A little further into development and it's about time I make use of your services. I was wondering if you could give me a price for the following, and let me know what visuals I'd need to have available. Or, if you could use "placeholder" images in the meanwhile.

1) A button in the top left of the game playing screen, which if you click on, makes a translucent box come down containing 3 stat bars. I would need the bars to fill up as the player earns stats. In terms of visuals I have the button visual made and some simple bar fill graphics from the forum. I don't have the translucent box but I'm sure that would be simple for you. It's the coding that catches me out. I would also assume that the graphics would be simple to change at a later date? I.e. just replacing the "examplebar.png" file with another?

2) A basic 3 menu choice, where the results of each choice would add a "random" stat amount (from +1-3) to each stat, with the corresponding bar moving up. Hopefully this would be a menu that I could repeat however many times I use it. Copy+paste, etc...There would actually be a 4th option, but it would need to be only selectable if a specific $ Varibale = True. Would any visuals be required for this, to me it just seems like code.

P.s. I would assume with any of these you'd be able to create the code on your own version of ren'py and email me over the specifics, with instructions on where to paste them?

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Greeny »

Cavalyn wrote:Hi Greeny,

A little further into development and it's about time I make use of your services. I was wondering if you could give me a price for the following, and let me know what visuals I'd need to have available. Or, if you could use "placeholder" images in the meanwhile.

1) A button in the top left of the game playing screen, which if you click on, makes a translucent box come down containing 3 stat bars. I would need the bars to fill up as the player earns stats. In terms of visuals I have the button visual made and some simple bar fill graphics from the forum. I don't have the translucent box but I'm sure that would be simple for you. It's the coding that catches me out. I would also assume that the graphics would be simple to change at a later date? I.e. just replacing the "examplebar.png" file with another?.
It's not necessarily so simple. That depends on how it's coded. If I knew the images were going to be changed, I might code something differently. Especially if it's supposed to work by just replacing the image; unless you already know the replacement image would be the exact same size. Sometimes it's important to know the size of the image, although I could alter the code easily enough to match a new image.

Although, I couldn't say one way or another. It varies on a case to case basis.
2) A basic 3 menu choice, where the results of each choice would add a "random" stat amount (from +1-3) to each stat, with the corresponding bar moving up. Hopefully this would be a menu that I could repeat however many times I use it. Copy+paste, etc...There would actually be a 4th option, but it would need to be only selectable if a specific $ Varibale = True. Would any visuals be required for this, to me it just seems like code.
Just code, unless you want a specific graphical style for the choice. If not, I'll code this as a basic menu with the desired effects, otherwise I'll make a screen to handle it. For making a screen it would be helpful to know what kind of images it will be using, but I can make a functional framework without.
Cavalyn wrote:P.s. I would assume with any of these you'd be able to create the code on your own version of ren'py and email me over the specifics, with instructions on where to paste them?
Depending on the scope of the job, I'll either deliver a full project folder with the code and the assets working together, or just a piece of code. If I'm just giving code,

As for ease of use, you don't have to worry about that. I write my code to be easy and understandable.

As for a price, looking at these two things, I'll say $6.

Cavalyn

#28 Post by Cavalyn »

hmm... well specifically the game runs in 1920x1080. So the size of the bars shouldn't change at a later date. The only thing I'm as of yet unsure on is the overall size of the transparent box. It doesn't need to be incredibly complex or large. To be fair I could probably work out some exact box dimensions tonight on Gimp.

If you want to email me at some point tonight on Coeur@live.co.uk then we can hash out exactly what files you need/want from me and I can send over a payment for it all.

When I'm back from work I'll reply to your email and we can get started.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#29 Post by Steamgirl »

Review
Greeny contributed to Emma: A Lady's Maid, creating a choice menu which I found maddeningly difficult to implement myself. The PM exchanges with Greeny were very pleasant and professional. The code was delivered extremely quickly! Added bonus was how incredibly easy it is to use!

I couldn't recommend Greeny more, and I hope to work together again in the future!

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Greeny »

Thank you for the kind words, Steamgirl! ^^

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've got plenty of slots open!
In fact, I've always got plenty of slots open. Infinity slots.

I'm just that efficient.