A Writer for Snow White and the Seven Thugs [closed]

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Nekochi
Regular
Projects: Snow White and the Seven Thugs
Organization: Royal Flush

A Writer for Snow White and the Seven Thugs [closed]

#1 Post by Nekochi »

Delia “Snow” White thinks she’s found her place in life. She’s one of the lieutenants for the Steppers, one of LA’s three most powerful gangs and she and boss Step are close like sisters. Then one day, the gang’s second-in-command, Cutter, tells her that Step’s put out an order to ice her. Since Snow and Cutter are real tight, he defies Step’s orders and helps Snow to escape. Hurt and confused by Step’s betrayal, Snow leaves and crashes in an alley. The next morning she wakes up to find herself surrounded by the enforcer squad of rival gang Lucky Sevens. However, instead of taking her out, Doc, boss of the Sevens, offers to let her join his gang. Is Snow ready to move on and find a new home in the Sevens? Or will she try to use cunning, force, and connections to discover why Step turned on her and take back her place in the Steppers? And what about the city’s third major gang, Kingdom Come? Will Doc’s plans of a merger between KC and the Sevens come to fruition? Or is there something brewing behind the scenes that will change LA more than any of them could imagine?

Snow White and the Seven Thugs is a modern day gangland retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves set in an alternate version of Los Angeles, California. Be forewarned, this game deals with gangstas, so there will be language, violence, and sexually suggestive content. If any of these things are a deal breaker, this probably isn’t the game for you.

We’re currently looking for another writer to join our team! We currently only have two writers working on the project, and we’d love to have one writer (or maybe even two) to come aboard and help us out. There a few things we’re looking for in a writer, which are:
• Being okay with having their work edited and editing others’ work
• Being able to get online at least once a week (though we understand when things come up)
• Brainstorming and bouncing around ideas
A few things that would be nice, but are totally not required are if you know Cantonese or are familiar with the Los Angeles/Southern California area. If these things are up your alley, please include it in your application!

Now, for a little information about the game. Right now we’re still outlining the plot for each route. We have started a little on the script (we currently have a little over 18,000 words on our main script, 8,500 words on a finished omake, and almost 13,500 words of misc. dialogue that we plan to include later on the various routes), but we wanted to slow down until we got more plotted out and hopefully got another team member. So, if you join us, we’ll start with the script from almost the beginning.

Something very important to note is that we plan for this game to be commercial. Once we get the prologue done we’ll try to put a demo together. After that we plan to make a Kickstarter for the game so we can afford to make it as awesome as we want! Our tentative plans for the commercial game is for it to have:
• 9 Dateable Characters
• 30+ endings
• Full voice cast
• Many, many CGs
• Amazing music

Still, we realize that the game may not get all the funding it’d need for all that, so we’re going to adjust accordingly (meaning way less awesome but still pretty cool).

That being said, this position will be a free one. There may be a chance of pay later on, but there will be no guarantee. Rest assured, if a Kickstarter gets funded or if this game goes commercial and sells even one copy, we will pay any writer we get. That is a promise I will readily and wholeheartedly make. However, as it isn't a certainty that this game will be funded or that it will turn a profit, and as everyone working on this game is a poor college student who can't afford to pay out of pocket (and isn't seeing a dime for their work on this game, either), I'm not willing to promise that this will be a paid position as I'm not sure it's I promise I will be able to keep. If that’s a deal breaker, we completely understand.

If you’d be interested in applying to be a writer, take a look at our characters and write a short dialogue between two or more of them (feel free to insert narration from Snow’s point of view as well.) Once you’re done with that, write at least one sentence letting us know the idea behind the scene you just wrote. Finally, let us know if you have any special skills we should take into consideration or any further writing that you want us to look at. Optionally, you can also give a short introduction so we get a better idea of how we might work together.

You can submit your application several ways: reblog this post on Tumblr; submit your application to royalflushvn, nerdyrevelries, or deardustbunny; reply to this topic on Lemmasoft; send a PM to Nekochi; or email the team at royalflushvn@gmail.com

We look forward to hearing from you!
Last edited by Nekochi on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

naqlada
Regular
Projects: Plenty awesome ones. Search my posts or just ask, won't bite...

Re: Looking for a Writer for Snow White and the Seven Thugs

#2 Post by naqlada »

This sounds crazy. I mean that in a good way!

Evolution
Regular
Projects: ???

#3 Post by Evolution »

What an amazingly creative idea! You certainly didn't pull any punches taking our beloved Disney characters and transplanting them to the gritty streets of L.A.

I have a curious question. Are any of the other characters (that is, aside from Snow, the Lucky Sevens, and Prince) based off of characters from the movie?

As a side note, the names of the seven thugs and Willy Smith made me laugh.

Nekochi
Regular

#4 Post by Nekochi »

naqlada wrote:This sounds crazy. I mean that in a good way!
Thanks!
Evolution wrote:What an amazingly creative idea! You certainly didn't pull any punches taking our beloved Disney characters and transplanting them to the gritty streets of L.A.
I can't take credit for the idea as the original concept was put together by DreadCop (know as Omnificent, who is working on Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering, on this forum), but Roban and I (our current writers) have put a lot of work into it since then, as DreadCop hasn't been able to do much on the project for a while.
Evolution wrote:I have a curious question. Are any of the other characters (that is, aside from Snow, the Lucky Sevens, and Prince) based off of characters from the movie?
Step is based off of Snow White's wicked step mother, the Queen and Cutter is based on the woodcutter who helps Snow White escape. None of the other characters are based off of the characters (aside from those you mentioned) are from the fairy tale, though I think seeing Kitty in a Disney movie would have been pretty bitchin'.
Evolution wrote:As a side note, the names of the seven thugs and Willy Smith made me laugh.
Thank you very much. We look forward to any support you can give us on the game, whether it's applying to be a writer for us or just playing the game when it comes out. ^-^

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#5 Post by Rozume »

I hate to be the one to ask, but is this a free or paid position? If it's paid, I'll have you know that I'm offering very affordable writing services; my rates are $5 per 3000 words.

This is a really awesome idea! I'm interested how 'alternate' L.A.'s going to be. c:

Good luck!

Nekochi
Regular

#6 Post by Nekochi »

PhoenixStardust wrote:I hate to be the one to ask, but is this a free or paid position? If it's paid, I'll have you know that I'm offering very affordable writing services; my rates are $5 per 3000 words.
Right now it's free. However, we think the game will be good enough to have it be a commercial game if we choose to and if that's the case, we'll split the profits between team members. I can't promise we'll decide to make it commercial, though, so I'd go on the assumption that it's free and consider the possibility of pay later a nice possible bonus and not a given. (And hey, if you have a knowledge of L.A. and want to help out, but not to the degree of writing without pay, we'd also love someone we could consult every once in awhile about L.A. Personally, I'd love to know more about L.A. slang than I do! It's very hard finding specific regional slang online.)
PhoenixStardust wrote:This is a really awesome idea! I'm interested how 'alternate' L.A.'s going to be. c:

Good luck!
Thank you very much!

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#7 Post by Rozume »

Ah I see~

Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge of L.A. since I live in the East Coast (around Atlantic City). Maybe instead of researching city slang specific, try searching SoCal slang or Californian slang?

If you ever need help with characterization, dialogue, plot, world-building, or just plain idea bouncing you can always contact me!

Nekochi
Regular

#8 Post by Nekochi »

The original post has been updated to give more information as to where we are on the project and our plans for it. Please check it out!

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#9 Post by pickle131 »

Bumping because I love this idea so much XD
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#10 Post by Rinima »

Do you still need another writer?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Nekochi
Regular

#11 Post by Nekochi »

Rinima wrote:Do you still need another writer?
Yes, we do.
Last edited by Nekochi on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Applegate »

Do you have a specific reason for offering no compensation to a writer, despite saying you plan for the project to be commercial and mentioning you want to run a Kickstarter? Am I to understand you do not consider writers worth paying?

Nekochi
Regular

#13 Post by Nekochi »

Applegate wrote:Do you have a specific reason for offering no compensation to a writer, despite saying you plan for the project to be commercial and mentioning you want to run a Kickstarter? Am I to understand you do not consider writers worth paying?
You misunderstand. In the event that we do make it commercial, we will be paying any writers that join up. However, at the moment, we haven't decided 100 percent that we are going to have it be commercial. As it stands now, we don't have the funds to pay a writer upfront, but once we get funds there will be payment. It's just that since we are unable to promise that the game will be commercial and we can't guarantee that a Kickstarter will be funded, we can't in good conscience say that this is a paid position, especially since even if the project does get funded, any payment won't come until a lot of work has already gone into it. As one of the two writers currently working on the project, trust me when I say that I do consider writers to be worth paying. We just aren't in the position to do so as of yet.

Iwako

#14 Post by Iwako »

Nekochi wrote:A few things that would be nice, but are totally not required are if you know Cantonese
Sorry, just slightly curious about this because I'm pretty intrigued by the story idea. Will there be Cantonese dialogues in the VN? (I can see that Kitty and Sleeper are Chinese, but who will they be speaking Cantonese to if they aren't in the same gang?) (PS: Kitty sounds awesome)

akidfrompa

#15 Post by akidfrompa »

Though you have a good idea I find it a bit crude that you are not offering compensation for the writer. In the most basic case, without the writer the outcome wouldn't exists so there for they should have just as much, if not more compensation for their efforts of making your idea a reality. Overall, I hope your idea is able to be made. It looks very interesting.