A Writer for Snow White and the Seven Thugs [closed]

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Nekochi
Regular
Projects: Snow White and the Seven Thugs
Organization: Royal Flush

Re: Looking for a Writer for Snow White and the Seven Thugs

#16 Post by Nekochi »

Iwako wrote:
Nekochi wrote:A few things that would be nice, but are totally not required are if you know Cantonese
Sorry, just slightly curious about this because I'm pretty intrigued by the story idea. Will there be Cantonese dialogues in the VN? (I can see that Kitty and Sleeper are Chinese, but who will they be speaking Cantonese to if they aren't in the same gang?) (PS: Kitty sounds awesome)
Happy speaks both Thai and Cantonese fluently. Since Sleeper also speaks Cantonese and Happy struggles with English, Happy is in the habit of having Sleeper act as translator for him. (Conversely, Kitty speaks next to no Chinese and what little she does speak is Mandarin. Her parents sent her to Chinese school, but the times when she wasn't skipping to go to the mall and hang out with friends, she was doodling in her notebook, texting, or updating Facebook/Twitter, mostly with statuses like "Gawd this is so boring shut up already".) We're hoping to include some of that as actual text, but if we can't get someone with more knowledge than we have, we'll probably just have Snow mention that Happy asks Sleeper a question in Cantonese and Sleeper replies.

I'm glad you like Kitty, she was actually the first minor character created for the game and is one of my favorites, too. :3
akidfrompa wrote:Though you have a good idea I find it a bit crude that you are not offering compensation for the writer. In the most basic case, without the writer the outcome wouldn't exists so there for they should have just as much, if not more compensation for their efforts of making your idea a reality. Overall, I hope your idea is able to be made. It looks very interesting.
As I told Applegate, we are very much hoping to offer compensation to a writer. Roban and I (the current writers on the project) know just how much effort it takes to write a script. We've been working on this thing since May, seriously plotting and script writing, taking the time to meet online most days to discuss ideas. Believe me when I say that we don't take lightly the amount of work that a writer does. However, we are also both poor college students. We don't have much money to spend. As neither one of us is keen on the idea of taking out loans in order to pay people, we don't can't really afford to pay anyone right now.

Any sort of money from this project is a ways off. In order to have a Kickstarter, we'd like to have a fully functioning demo to show off, as that's going to make it much more likely that we'll get funding since we don't have any previously completed projects to let people know we're not just another game that's going to make a lot of promises and not actually fulfill any of them. As for this being a commercial game, even if we do decide to make it commercial, we won't be seeing any of that money until the game is already finished. We want to pay people. We have every plan to pay people. But it's going to be quite some time before we have the funds to do so and I only think it's fair to let anyone who might be interested in the project know that upfront. Roban and I aren't getting any money, either. Nor is our lineartist or our colorist. We want to pay them in the future, but we can't without money, which we just don't have at the moment. This will be a paid position if we can possibly make it a paid position, but all of that is future tense. I don't feel comfortable making promises that I'm not sure I'll be able to keep.

tl;dr version: We know writing is important and we want to pay a writer, but we have no money at the moment. If we get money in the future, we'll pay a writer. But right now, we're just trying to make sure we have money to go to college and eat.

Iwako

#17 Post by Iwako »

Nekochi wrote:
Iwako wrote:
Nekochi wrote:A few things that would be nice, but are totally not required are if you know Cantonese
Sorry, just slightly curious about this because I'm pretty intrigued by the story idea. Will there be Cantonese dialogues in the VN? (I can see that Kitty and Sleeper are Chinese, but who will they be speaking Cantonese to if they aren't in the same gang?) (PS: Kitty sounds awesome)
Happy speaks both Thai and Cantonese fluently. Since Sleeper also speaks Cantonese and Happy struggles with English, Happy is in the habit of having Sleeper act as translator for him. (Conversely, Kitty speaks next to no Chinese and what little she does speak is Mandarin. Her parents sent her to Chinese school, but the times when she wasn't skipping to go to the mall and hang out with friends, she was doodling in her notebook, texting, or updating Facebook/Twitter, mostly with statuses like "Gawd this is so boring shut up already".) We're hoping to include some of that as actual text, but if we can't get someone with more knowledge than we have, we'll probably just have Snow mention that Happy asks Sleeper a question in Cantonese and Sleeper replies.

I'm glad you like Kitty, she was actually the first minor character created for the game and is one of my favorites, too. :3
Oh! That idea sounds pretty fun. Well, Cantonese is my mother tongue and I've learnt Mandarin since I was a child in school, so I'm fluent in both if you want any help with the Cantonese/Mandarin text. ^^
Last edited by Iwako on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#18 Post by Rinima »

Nekochi wrote:
Rinima wrote:Do you still need another writer?
Yes, we do.
How much writing would you want this writer to do?
As in, how long is the vn, and how much as been done?
Also, anyway we can see anything visual?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Nekochi
Regular

#19 Post by Nekochi »

Iwako wrote:Oh! That idea sounds pretty fun. Well, Cantonese is my mother tongue and I've learnt Mandarin since I was a child in school, so I'm fluent in both if you want any help with the Cantonese/Mandarin text. ^^
That'd be great! I'll try to get some contact info to you sometime this week.
Rinima wrote:How much writing would you want this writer to do?
As in, how long is the vn, and how much as been done?
Also, anyway we can see anything visual?
I’m not going to try to sugarcoat things, this is a pretty big and ambitious project. The plan is for the game to have a prologue that will branch into ten different routes. Each route will have between two and three endings (happy, normal, and bad.) There are also a few other endings that branch off from the main routes. For the most part, we’ve been working on the prologue and route outlining. Our prologue isn’t finished yet and has around 18,000 words thus far, the latter half of which we’re planning to revise as it isn’t as compelling as the first half and starts to drag a little bit.

That said, we’re entirely flexible about the amount of writing a writer would be doing. Roban and I are both committed to this project, but we are having trouble with putting together outlines for the various routes. At the very least, we want a writer to work with us to brainstorm things, bringing in some fresh new ideas to the project and helping us organize the routes. How much you want to do beyond that is up to you. If you want to write a full third of the script, great, but if you only have time to help with the script on a minimal basis, we can work with that too. Things get busy, we understand and we’re pretty chill about that sort of thing, as long as you let us know.

Now comes the fun part: visuals and examples of the writing. As of yet, our art is largely concept art (which is why even when the prologue is finished, the Kickstarter will be some time in coming, as a demo requires music, backgrounds, coding, and art in addition to just writing.) You can find our artist’s work on her Tumblr. Our colorist hasn’t had much to do just yet, but she has a very unique and interesting style, as you can see from the application she submitted to join the team. Roban has also done updated concept art of some of the characters to better fit our current vision of them. I went ahead and created an album on my Photobucket for the pictures that haven’t been posted elsewhere. Finally, we currently have one omake that we’ve finished (mostly because I have a tendency to get ahead of myself.) The omake takes place after the game is finished and revolves around the members of Kingdom Come, most specifically Aces, who is our first person narrator. She has a much different style of narration than Snow (in fact, Snow doesn’t even appear in the omake), but it might give you an idea of what we’ve been doing. Fair warning, though, it will not make sense unless you have read the character profiles first, so be sure to do that.

Your question is a complicated one, but I hope that helps to clear it up. If there’s anything else you want to know, feel free to ask. This week is going to be pretty busy for me with work (since I work at a college bookstore, this is one of the three busiest weeks of the year), so I may be a bit slow to reply, but I’ll try to check in after I get home each night.

AndieAlick12

#20 Post by AndieAlick12 »

If you looking for some professional writer which writes perfect story based on these characters then why you don't post your job at elance, odesk or some other job posting website. You get expert paid writers from there. Most of the companies post their content writing jobs there which is live for everyone who join that website and get paid to write for their writing work. Hope you like my suggestion and get better writers for your story.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#21 Post by Rinima »

Hey, thanks for the reply and explanation.
I was going to apply but... unfortunately, life got in the way (just started my work placement in a hospital, and it's killing me slowly).
But I will be watching this and I hope you can get a good writer!
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Nekochi
Regular

#22 Post by Nekochi »

Hey everyone, here's an update: we've managed to find a third writer and are very excited to be adding semperidem to the team. Not everyone has the time or inclination to work on a project of this size coming from an unknown team (especially since we aren't in a position to offer payment upfront!), but I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted in this topic for taking the time to read our pitch and your interest in our game. I hope you'll continue to support us in the future. If you're interested in staying up to date on what we're doing, please follow our team Tumblr. We don't have much to post at the moment, but we'll be adding to it as we get further into the game. We'll also officially post a topic here on Lemma Soft once we have some more visuals to show off.

Once again, thank you so much for all your kind words. You'll definitely be hearing more about this game in the future.