Voice-Acting needed for Queen At Arms (GDC 2014)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket
Organization: Aqualuft Games

Voice-Acting needed for Queen At Arms (GDC 2014)

#1 Post by Rosstin2 »

If you'll be attending GDC 2014 in San Francisco, CA (or live in the area) and are interested in possibly helping do voice acting for Queen At Arms, please contact me! We need some people who can provide some sexy voices for our boys!

I can book a sound studio for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday (March 19, 20, 21, or 22). Then we can do all the voice-acting in a fell swoop.

This isn't full voice-acting, just little noises and short phrases that the characters make. "Hello", "Oh!" "It is I, <<charactername>>!" "What?!!" and things like that.

VA volunteers will of course be credited and have the eternal gratitude of the producer... me!

We would practice online in a group ahead of time to get the sound right, and do some scratch voices. Then record in a professional sound studio in San Francisco on one of the conference days.

There are 6 main boys and 1 protagonist, as well as some side characters. The boys and the protag are the most important characters to have voices, and if things go well we could do VA for the NPCs as well.

The WIP thread is here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=24668
You can contact me thru private message, by posting in this or the WIP thread, or by email (asterazul at gmail dot com)
Last edited by Rosstin2 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsuruneru

Re: Voice-Acting needed for Queen At Arms (GDC 2014)

#2 Post by Tsuruneru »

Sent an email. But just in case i'll post the message here. "I saw your post about voice actors for your game. I live in the bay area. I am about 40 minutes away from San Francisco if i take Bart. Here is my website with my demos if you'd like to listen to them. http://leeturnervoices.com/.

You can contact me at (shadowkenva@hotmail.com)

Rosstin2
Veteran

#3 Post by Rosstin2 »

Didn't receive the email-- maybe you had trouble typing my address? I'll take a listen to your demos! Wonderful to hear you could make it out to SF!

EDIT:
Sent you an email, Lee. I loved your demos.

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

#4 Post by LeetMusic »

I'll be attending GDC and will want to spend all my energy at the conference because it's an expensive trip. However if you're also at the conference then I'd like to meet up.

Rosstin2
Veteran

#5 Post by Rosstin2 »

Sure, I'd love to meet up with anyone who is in Visual Novels and at GDC2014, regardless of whether or not they want to do VA for Queen.

My # is 4o8 62I 39I7. Text me during the conference and we can hang out.

LeetMusic
Veteran

#6 Post by LeetMusic »

I was trying to schedule a visual novel meetup at GDC: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 13&t=24972 Not sure if others will be joining.

naqlada
Regular
Projects: Plenty awesome ones. Search my posts or just ask, won't bite...

#7 Post by naqlada »

You ever branch out beyond Cali boarders, let us know.

Rosstin2
Veteran

LF Female VA who can do a male voice for "Queen At Arms"

#8 Post by Rosstin2 »

This is a bit of an interesting situation. The protagonist for Queen At Arms is a girl who disguises herself as a boy in order to hide her identity. She ends up being drafted into the army and made to fight. Eventually, through a series of battlefield promotions, she becomes the Commander of the army. Along the way, there are various military experts who she can romance. I hesitate lately to call the game an Otome because it has a significant war/survival/strategy aspect which is just as import as the romance aspect.

To voice the protagonist, we need a female VA who can do a boy's voice. Essentially, the protagonist will have half her lines in a male voice, and half in a female voice, even one or two where she switches between them.

DETAILS:
  • * This is only partial voice-acting, so there will only be between 10-20 lines of dialog, along with short interjections and catchphrases like "Hey!" "Oh no!" "What?"

* If possible, I would like to record your lines in San Francisco during GDC 2014.

* I am booking a studio for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday (March 19, 20, 21, or 22) in San Francisco.

* We will practice online in a group ahead of time to get the sound right, and do some scratch voices. Then record in a professional sound studio in San Francisco on one of the conference days.

* People have asked me if there is sex or ecchi: No. The game has references to sex, and the protagonist is not a blushing virgin, but there are not explicit sex scenes. It's just a mature setting with adult characters.
The WIP thread is here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=24668
You can contact me thru private message, by posting in this or the WIP thread, or by email (asterazul at gmail dot com)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Re: LF Female VA who can do a male voice for "Queen At Arms"

#9 Post by noeinan »

Sounds interesting! I practiced for years to get a male-passable voice, but I haven't done any professional voice acting before and was not planning on attending GDC. Good luck finding someone, though!

LeetMusic
Veteran

#10 Post by LeetMusic »

Why is it necessary to get voice recording done during GDC? I'm not sure why you are taking this approach.

Rosstin2
Veteran

#11 Post by Rosstin2 »

I'd like to do it all in a single studio, so that we only have one input device.

I'm not the sound engineer. Perhaps it's easier to level the sound than I think? But I'm imagining the sound engineer with sound from 6+ different inputs and having to level it... it seems like it would be a nightmare to me.

This is how we've always done it... perhaps there's a better way? I'm used to getting all the VAs in a single room at recording time.

LeetMusic
Veteran

#12 Post by LeetMusic »

For me the risks seem to be:

1. Not being able to find the talent you need. I know a couple voice actors who attend GDC but not many. Since the conference is very expensive to attend people spend most of their time in panels or networking to make the most of it. Unless you have local area talent that you're already drawing from?

2. Being forced to rush through the recording session. Again since the conference is going on at the same time and people are coming in from out of town. What happens if you need the actor to record additional material / revisions afterward?

Have you considered working with actors who are recording remotely with their own gear? I've seen some voice actors offering services (with appropriate demos) in the forums.

Rosstin2
Veteran

#13 Post by Rosstin2 »

I already have...
  • * 1 professional actor lined up for the second hardest part, whose demos were excellent

* 2 close colleagues who have experience as VAs and can definitely make it

* 2 alumni from my university who have VA experience as Youtubers, who I worked with on King's Ascent

* 2 alumni who I respect but don't know the quality of their work as VAs -- I have to check them out when we practice. But I know they're reliable in other areas so at least they'll try their best.
Who will all be at GDC. Even if I only get 4 or 5 characters recorded in the studio, it's still a win for me. Those are all people I trust to do retakes for free, because most of them are close personal friends of mine.

At this point, my goal is to replace the weakest candidates with more professional ones. But if I can't, I'll at least have a good first take for all the main characters. (And we'll have some good fun in the studio, hanging out with old friends.) I may have to spend a couple hundred dollars on the studio, but I think it's worth it for good quality sound and having everyone in one place.

Remember this is also only partial voice-acting. There are only a handful of lines for each character, not an entire script of hundreds of lines.
Last edited by Rosstin2 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeetMusic
Veteran

#14 Post by LeetMusic »

Did not realize. That's super cool and sounds like you're being really organized! :)

I'd love to come to the recording session but I'll be busy doing conference stuff since I'm paying a lot for the trip. I hope it goes well and that there is an opportunity to meet somewhere during the week.

Rosstin2
Veteran

#15 Post by Rosstin2 »

Bump to this. I'm about to send out an email to the 4 VAs who are available on March 19th.