Queen At Arms Recruiting Character-Path Writer (paid)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket
Organization: Aqualuft Games

Queen At Arms Recruiting Character-Path Writer (paid)

#1 Post by Rosstin2 »

Queen at Arms is recruiting a character path writer!

Queen at Arms is a teen adventure otome game that we plan to Kickstart in May 2014. Currently the game stands at 100,000 words. Chapters 1 and 2 have been fully written, Chapter 3 is in progress, and Chapter 4 (the final chapter) has been outlined.

We're looking for a writer with excellent dialog-writing skills: someone who can make a player laugh, cry, and feel deep emotion through the words of the characters. You will be working with the Lead Writer, Serenity Frost, and the Producer, me. Serenity writes the main plot scenes and I write the battle sequences.

What you will do: You will work 10-20 hours a week, writing a path for 1 of the 5 love interests. This will entail writing 5-9 character development scenes with your chosen character. A typical development scene is 1000-2000 words, with an average of 2 menus. You will also gain responsibility for that character's characterization in the rest of the main game, so you'll be doing editing on the main script where it pertains to your character's actions. You'll be attending our weekly writers' meeting and be in close contact with me and Serenity, and be part of our development forums.

Payment: Everyone on the Queen At Arms team receives a very small $100/month salary. That's it. I'm aware that this is a very small payment for the great work the team does, but that's what I can afford. A new team member who puts in the time, meets my quality standard, and becomes a permanent member, will be cut into the Kickstarter equity and the Sales equity. You're also welcome to sign into our team contract, or create a new contract directly with me.

What I'm looking for: I'm looking for a candidate who can provide a portfolio of writing demonstrating excellent dialog-writing skills. Humor is a plus. Renpy experience is a plus. A good ability to work in a team, a good attitude, and a determined, dedicated personality are highly desirable.

Are you sure you know what you're doing?: I've been a game designer for a number of years and run a successful Kickstarter with Robert Maher of Rex Rocket before, where we raised $11k. I've completed a many games: you can them check out on my website. Rex Rocket will be featured at GDC in March 2014. Game development is a constant learning experience, but I'm a completionist. My games come out, and I make my games the best they can be.

Contact: You can contact me at asterazul at gmail dot com. Please put "Queen At Arms Writer" in the title.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Last edited by Rosstin2 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Queen At Arms Recruiting Character-Path Writer (paid)

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I've submitted my application! Thank you so much for this opportunity!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#3 Post by Laiska »

I've messaged you as well! :)

Rosstin2
Veteran

#4 Post by Rosstin2 »

Thanks everyone! I think I've responded to each of you.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Yes, I've just received your e-mail and am about to fire off my response now. :D
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

fate-san

#6 Post by fate-san »

Would the weekly meeting be online?

Rosstin2
Veteran

#7 Post by Rosstin2 »

Yes; Google Hangout

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#8 Post by Steamgirl »

I've sent an email as well. Just thought I'd mention it in case it doesn't arrive. :)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Yay! You've applied! I'm so excited. :D
— Mark Twain

Rosstin2
Veteran

#10 Post by Rosstin2 »

I've sent out this Writing Sampler: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fv4 ... 1IKVU/edit#

Basically, write a scene based on the prompt (it's fairly loosely defined, so you have a lot of leeway.)

I liked a lot of your work, so I don't want to turn a bunch of people away, but we also can't just accept everyone because it will get too crazy!

I'm thinking that for those of you who do well with the prompt, we can start having a weekly writers meeting where we just write to death and try to get as much game done as possible.

Steamgirl
Veteran

#11 Post by Steamgirl »

I just wanted to say I'll try to do the scene asap, but we're in crunchtime at my day job at the moment with a master candidate deadline for the 21st. Is there a deadline for the scene and if so when is it? :)

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#12 Post by sheetcakeghost »

Generally our deadlines are set to one week after you received the assignment. We're willing to be a little more flexible with this one, but we hold meetings on Wednesdays and we'll be talking about plot structure and the candidates at this one. I realize that's really short notice now, but so long as we know you're working on something we'll get to see, you'll still be in the running.

I really liked the game you sent in to us, so I hope I get to see your sample sooner rather than later. d:

Something you're gonna wanna keep in mind though, if you think crunch from your day job might make it hard to keep up with our pace, this may not be the best fit for you. We certainly don't want you getting in trouble with your other bosses.

Steamgirl
Veteran

#13 Post by Steamgirl »

Thanks Serenity, much appreciated! The project I'm working on is coming to an end when the game is released - likely before the end of March. I'll be available more or less full time after that. :)