Time Loop Nanoreno Adventure Seeks BG Artist, Etc.

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Time Loop Nanoreno Adventure Seeks BG Artist, Etc.

#1 Post by kaleidofish »

The Mishka Effect
Hi there!

Do you enjoy hacking to the gate? Are you a fan of tennis term souvenirs? Have you ever named your dog after a time measurement? Have you ever wanted to drive a Delorean? Are you aware of what a Hollow Pen is? Do you sometimes miss Blinx? Still asking yourself where in time Carmen Sandiego might be? IF SO, you've come to the right recruitment thread. And if all those references fly over your head, then I'll break things down in another way.

I am recruiting a small team for a time loop (sort of like time travel) visual novel to be done during NaNoRenO. A time loop is slightly different in the sense that everything's happening at the same time...oh, except for the splits and breakages that are occurring whenever our titular hero messes something up. I've got the majority of the outline done and squared away. It's just missing the final couple of scenes.

The story's more silly than sciencey. I mean, how sciencey can you get when your mode of time travel is a chair in a dirty shack in the middle of the woods (say that ten times fast)? Then again, it might not be the worst thing ever... Tuna on rye sandwich, I'm looking at you.

The outline is here. If you join up, you'll get access to an awesome chart with more notes! Like what you see? Wanna join this galactic adventure? Great!

I am looking for -

* Priority

Sprite Artist(s): I've broken down a rough list of assets here. There are three characters in the story (Mishka, Veronica, & Emma), HOWEVER, Mishka has several variations. I've included my suggestions on how to handle those variations in the document. This job can be split up into tasks (like concept, lineart, & colorist) if we have to. Fungii!get

Eagle Eye(s): What the Eagle Eyes do is check and make sure things make sense. See if we're missing anything in the story. Time travel things are very easy to screw up. For all I know, things might ALREADY be screwed up, but, hey. Eagle Eyes also assist in other areas such as BG or music hunting (if we can't get a BG artist or a musician), motivational speeches, and reminding us how much time we have left. Eagle Eyes help everyone on the team when they're in a jam. Eagle Eyes, they're watching you. Watching your every move.

The Whip The Editor: My game plan for getting this done is to write fast and furiously. Every few days, I hope to have a nice chunk available for the Editor to look over, fix, and give suggestions for improvement on. Think of it like we're playing a ball game of write-edit-write-edit throughout the month. Much high-fiving will be had. A whip is optional, although we do have spares you can borrow. Be warned that you may have to evolve into a Co-writer if I'm too laggy. arachni42!get

GUI! Logo! Yo! Super Special: Nice graphics would put this project over the top in a good way. They're important!! I mean, we don't even have a logo. (What the frick, k-fish, how'd you make this thread without a logo?!) This is one of the most precious positions on the team. Seriously. Duskylli!get

* Less of a priority -

Backgroundah: The BG Artist! I hesitate to put this position on the page because the number of BGs is...unfortunate. Off the top of my head, I know that there's at least 5-10, which is ridiculously bad. I'm going to cut some out with the clever use of NVL mode. If we fail to get a BG artist, I'll work with Eagle Eyes to hunt down some temporary ones!

CG Artist?: I haven't started writing the script so I can't tell you how many CGs might be needed. There will probably be zero, in the interest of time. April 1st tends to creep up fast. If someone really wants to volunteer as tribute, however, I won't stop them. shortycake!get

Musician: I'm hesitating on this position too, since the writing hasn't even been started. This might have to wait until the final week, or I'll be looking for free tracks with the Eagle Eyes. Shoko!get

---

So, why work with me? Well, in 2012, I was crazy enough to do my Nanoreno 100% solo. I set the challenge for myself (believe me, I'm no illustrator or musician) and I met it. I'm confident that I can get the writing for this done, as well as the writing for the route I'm doing in another project. I'm no stranger to the blood, sweat, and tears it takes to get a one-month VN done. For more info about me, you can check out my website.

What happens if you don't get enough people? As long as I can get Eagle Eyes and an Editor, I'll charge ahead to make an imageless demo, instead. If I don't get either of those, then I'll have to put this on the shelf while I refocus my attention of my other projects.

PM me with something about yourself or post here in the thread. I can give out my Skype over PM. Skype is preferred for speed reasons, but if you have to communicate through e-mail, that's fine. My e-mail is kaleidofish[at]gmail[dot]com.

Let me know if I forgot anything. It's super late and I'm super tired...and super ready to get in on this Nano craze. :D
Last edited by kaleidofish on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Time Loop Nanoreno Adventure Seeks Team

#2 Post by Asceai »

I already have plans for NanO but I'm giving my support to my favourite genre, so you can be sure I'll play this.

(Science ruins a time loop story anyway. Don't be tempted~)

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#3 Post by Fungii »

I'd be up for doing sprites, if you're okay with that. I have examples of my work linked in my signature.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)

#4 Post by kaleidofish »

Asceai wrote:I already have plans for NanO but I'm giving my support to my favourite genre, so you can be sure I'll play this.

(Science ruins a time loop story anyway. Don't be tempted~)
Thanks! Glad to have a fan already, haha. (And yeah, I'll resist any temptations!)
Fungii wrote:I'd be up for doing sprites, if you're okay with that. I have examples of my work linked in my signature.
YES. Welcome aboard. :D Looking forward to working with you again~
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

Re: Time Loop Nanoreno Adventure Seeks Editor & Helpers

#5 Post by Ferdokki »

I'm kind of interested in being Eagle Eyes...but I'm not sure. =/

Are there any qualifications you're looking for?

KaenSe4
Regular
Completed: Good Morning Triss (2019), Palette Swap (Nano 16), Fairly Dangerous (Nano 15)
itch: kaense4.itch.io

#6 Post by KaenSe4 »

I realize that this might be a little late, considering that it's 8 days into March, but I'll help as an Eagle Eye if y'all are still searching for one :D I'm mostly a background/character development sort of writer, but I do editing/plot debugging as well. Wasn't planning on joining in NaNo this year, but your idea seems pretty fun. PM me if you want me :D

kaleidofish
Veteran

#7 Post by kaleidofish »

Ferdokki wrote:I'm kind of interested in being Eagle Eyes...but I'm not sure. =/

Are there any qualifications you're looking for?
I am looking for people who show HEED.

* Hunger to see this project finished by April 1st
* Enthusiasm for the help that they're giving to this project
* Energy to get everything done without slacking off forever
* Determination to make sure that all of the elements (plot, BGs, music, art, etc) come together nicely

The Eagle Eye role can be changed up depending on what you want to be in charge of. If hunting for plot holes is more your thing, you can do that. If finding music or backgrounds is more your forte, you can also do that. If you're more of a beta-tester, that's cool. If you'd rather assist in some other way, that is fine, too (like being a foreboding Nanoreno clock or being a motivational speaker for the team, haha).
KaenSe4 wrote:I realize that this might be a little late, considering that it's 8 days into March, but I'll help as an Eagle Eye if y'all are still searching for one :D I'm mostly a background/character development sort of writer, but I do editing/plot debugging as well. Wasn't planning on joining in NaNo this year, but your idea seems pretty fun. PM me if you want me :D
Eagle Eyes aren't exactly Editors, but, yes, plot debugging would be great. I'll send you a PM and see your level of HEED. :)

I am going to tentatively close the Eagle Eye part of this recruitment thread since I've got a few responses. If you're still interested, though, PM me with what you want to do and I'll see if I can fit you in. Musicians and BG artists would be cool... otherwise, the Eagle Eyes will come together and help hunt for those things. XD