Looking for free BG artist, composer and maybe programmer

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Lady-Cynic
Regular
Completed: Bobette: A KN that's horrible but at least complete
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep
Organization: Cynical Ghost Productions
IRC Nick: Lady-Cynic

Re: Looking for free BG artist, composer and maybe programme

#31 Post by Lady-Cynic »

Hi, I'm an architect student who loves drawing BGs, and if you give me enough time, a full list of what BGs you want, and any references of how you want them too look like, I may be able to help you. You seem like you want a lot of art, so it may take me some time, but I can churn out about 1 or 2 every 3 days if given a clear picture what to draw. I'd like to know more about the project first. Also, if you need to team up with an organization, I think my group is still accepting some people (especially if you're aspiring to be a programmer, since we're heavily lacking in that department). Hope to hear from you soon.

--Mabel E.

Haika
Regular
IRC Nick: Haika

#32 Post by Haika »

Lady-Cynic wrote:Hi, I'm an architect student who loves drawing BGs, and if you give me enough time, a full list of what BGs you want, and any references of how you want them too look like, I may be able to help you. You seem like you want a lot of art, so it may take me some time, but I can churn out about 1 or 2 every 3 days if given a clear picture what to draw. I'd like to know more about the project first. Also, if you need to team up with an organization, I think my group is still accepting some people (especially if you're aspiring to be a programmer, since we're heavily lacking in that department). Hope to hear from you soon.

--Mabel E.
I will PM you. Wait you are mistaken, I don't want to be programmer. That's my project's name. Of course I will give you time.
thepurringdevilslove wrote:Hey there, i just read trough all of this and wanted to say something too.
As far as i understood you plan to make visual novel and plan to get everything like bg an cg artists, all for free while still not having the script done, right?
Honestly, i recommend that you first finish the script before recruiting. And since you already have a sprite artists willing to help dont give her/him work until you are done.
I am an artist myself and i can tell you its a hell lot of work to make good art. It takes much of time as well. Imagine if you cancel the project and the artist and composers already started? you waste their time like that if you do really cacel it some day. People sometimes understime that. Character sketch, expressions, lineart, coloring & shading. Also need to be clean and neet for the game. And making for 3 poses, too for such an amout is too much for free work.
Regarding the BG, CG art and music, i am sure you want at least some quality, but you cant expect people to just help for free. Even more for such a big amout. You will have a hard time finding someone willing to help. If you do, its good for you, but consider the poeple working for you. Art and music has a value and i think its bad for people to just "sell "their work for free to help you without being sure if you even finish it. Also , its better to stick to free art (BG) for the beginning. there are tons of good ones.If you really want it to be self made, use the free ones first and make a demo version. If people like the demo, it would pay of make own BG art, but if not you shouldnt do it.
CG art does takes the most work, how can you recruit if you dont have planned them? Also the artists styles need to fit!
The music needs to fit the mood and it takes time, too. Searching for people able to do that is not as hard as doing it yourself.
So dont rush, finish the script and if you are done, ask again for help! If you finished it you might give more details about the characters etc. too so there will be more people interessed. But first DO finish it and ask afterwards for help. Not other way around.
Thanks, I realize that. And I'm finishing the script as soon as possible. As far as I concerned, they don't have to be worry about that. Because I won't cancel the project. I actually only need someone to draw sprites. If I can't find BG artist or someone to compose music or programmer, I thought that I would multitasking myself and I need to learn them all. The reason I don't want free BG or demo BG or free music, is that I'm worried that they have copyrighted. So I'm not so sure. But thanks for the advice. I appreciated that.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#33 Post by fleet »

Haika wrote: . . . The reason I don't want free BG or demo BG or free music, is that I'm worried that they have copyrighted. . . .
Just so you will understand, the free BGs, free sprites, and free music that are offered here at LSF are copyrighted. The copyright holders have licensed them for free use. You can check the "Creative Commons" section of this topic and see what the specific license terms are for any music, sprites, and BGs that interest you.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Oreo_Blue

#34 Post by Oreo_Blue »

@Haika: Our group have just made a new VN engine that we would like to test. At this moment we have a programmer, and a background artist. We still need the VN script, and the character artist. So, if you willing to collaborate with us, it will be great.