Hello! You can call me Rhea, and I'm a 22 year old female veterinary student, queer identified. Online, I'm an aspiring writer, an editor and an artist. I'm also a passionate hobbyist (read: gaze at pinterest boards for hours) and after lurking about for months, I've finally made up my mind to honor my favorite author's suggestion to offer myself as an editor.
I'm a fairly nice honest critic, as in, I would be point out your errors, but I would give thumbs-up for your especially good work as well. I have 7-8 years of experience as a writer, and 3 years of it as a beta reader and an editor. As you have probably seen from my sidebar, I'm a non-native English speaker, but I'm very fluent, to the point that I've actually become bad in my native language.
So....to the topic!
I would like to offer myself as a semi-professional editor, proofreader and/or researcher for your upcoming projects. Paid positions are preferred, since I have need for the money for personal reasons, but for noncommercial projects that catch my fancy, and wouldn't cut too much into my college time, I'm up for you too!
What I'd like to work in: Ah, that's complicated. My favorite genres are fantasy, sci-fi, speculative, reality, romance, GSRM, young-adult, highschool and otome, but I would gladly read any gem from any genre. I insist it's PG-13, though. No amount of gore would flinch me (look at what I do irl xD) but horror, I read and work on it only in bright daylight. Mild sexual content is okay, but nothing too graphic. I have a soft spot for sweet and romantic GxG.
What I would NOT work in: Racist, sexist or homophobic material, unless they're in negative light AND as a necessary part of the plot itself.
- - Veterinary student
- - Writer and Editor with years of experience
- - Aced English back-to-back for nine years, Highest marks in English Literature
- - Science enthusiast - practical and evolving knowledge in research, biology, medicine, toxicology, physics, chemistry, psychology, anthropology, astronomy, scientific method, engineering, design and architecture
- - Theorist, good in predicting outcomes by considering all possible causes and their conjoined effect; a handy tool in world building
- - Variable but detailed knowledge on sensational history, law, cultures and traditions, sports techniques, world religions, early civilizations (esp. Egypt and Greece-Rome), child care, performing arts, astrology, numerology and occult arts, supernatural and mythical phenomena
- - Data-happy researcher, would go to any lengths to get facts as right as they are known
- - Experienced hobbyist of cookery, arts and crafts, and singing
- * Only one job done at a time. If I cannot accept a job at a given time due to real life concerns (*cough*college exams*cough*), I would inform it here first. Any undertaken projects will be finished before that, and in unpredictable situations I will inform as soon as possible to arrange for a solution.
- * For Editing and proofreading, I work in word documents (MS Word or Google docs) for their versatility.
At the end of my work, your novel would have,
- - Correct grammar, punctuation and usage
- - Clear, sensible sentences that best deliver the feel of the story.
- - Consistency, fluency and fluidity of story telling.
- - Ability of reaching to a diverse audience, even if it follows a highly specific storyline.
- - Accuracy of facts, cause and effect, and true to known physical laws of the world of the story.
In world building, I can help the author consider various aspects of the new world and point out how they would influence the story in tiny, but important ways that we tend to often overlook. With a little back story, I can provide plot insight as well as look at it from the reader's point of view and help keep it mysterious but clear. I'm very good in providing possible causes and explanations when you're stuck, with my own imagination that usually runs wilder than a sugar high dog.
Recommended for writers and producer-writers.
- - Substantive editing - 1 CENT per word on the first draft.
- - Copy editing - 0.5 CENT per word on the first draft.
- - Upon receiving the file, I would inform the price depending on the word count as indicated on the word processor. At completion of 25% of the editing (of the first draft), I require a 25% of the full payment as an advance, at completion of 50% of editing, another 25% of the payment, and the last 50% at the completion of the first draft.
- - I'm willing to edit and proofread over several versions until both the writer and I are completely satisfied with the product, and as such, the second, third and fourth revisions will be done completely free.
- - However, if the revisions are done more than five times, I would have to charge again for the job as if it was unrevised, for every fifth revision, starting from the fifth time.
- Yellow highlight - all changes
- Slashed - errors
- Bold purple slashed - delete this word
- Slashed and rewritten in Bold pink - correction of the errors
- Underlined and rewritten in Bold green - Better wording of the same
- Italized blue - explanations, facts, inconsistencies pointed out as comments
- Italized orange - Editor's own comments and reactions
- BONUS: Highlighted in blue - for the writer - to point out the places they want specially considered.
- Highlighted in green - suggestions for the above.
My work would be mostly similar to the above, depending on your wishes. I would not use the full legend; just the yellow highlight to mark the places that I have changed. I would also comment on the inconsistencies and the flow, and correct them accordingly. Basically, my proofreading is more or less the same as what I do as a copy editor.
Recommended for producers who themselves are not the writer.
- - 0.5 CENT per word on the first draft.
- - As above, the payment is required in 25%-25%-50% installments, and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th revisions are free. For the fifth revision and then every next fifth revision, it shall be charged again.
As said above, I'm happiest when surrounded with numerous, variably useful facts. (I have been called a walking encyclopedia more than once, from more than from one person. ) As such, I have an arsenal of data at your service, and means to find out more fast. So, as a researcher, I can be your other google, available for regular communication through facebook and skype. Also, as said above, I can be your sounding board to smooth out the wrinkles in the plot, sew in the hanging threads, foretell the questions from the reader (without having to consult a globe, too!) and help you hide the secrets.
- - As my work cannot be quantified, the price will be negotiated between myself and you, upon the only condition that it is no less than US$10.
Payments and Discounts (for all packages)
Payment via PayPal only. While I have mentioned a standard, my prices are all negotiable.
However, the minimum price is 0.4 cents/word (USD); any less, and I have nothing left after the taxes. (*grrrrrr*)
BUT, listen on. For stories that exceed 10,000 words, a 10% discount will be added to every next full 10K words automatically. If you're working in a very tight budget and need even more space, the discount can be negotiated up to 20%, but no less.
In large projects in which even the installments are above US$1000, I would like to arrange a plan for shorter installments with you, so that I won't singlehandedly break your purse at once.
If you have reached this point, congratulations! Here's your complimentary ice bag for your oncoming headache. But, if it seems like that I'm that one person who you have been searching for all this time, (except romantically, I'm very blissfully taken :3) for your next story, then, drop me a line and tell me your story!