Battle System Coder Wanted!

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)
Organization: FlareBlue Entertainment

Battle System Coder Wanted!

#1 Post by squark »

Carried over from:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=26539
squark wrote:I know Jake's systems are stickied and quite versatile with fine notes, but they're just not quite what I'm looking for.
The turn based system is what I'm looking at in particular. His ATB is fine for party combat, not so for a single character battle system.
So, I have two requests attached here. One is for the game I've put on hold (no rush there), and the second is for a collaboration I'm working on. TBH, the second one is a lot less work, while the first seems very very complicated to me.
Both systems are based on the player's and enemy's speed ratings. Fastest first, obviously. Sometimes it will one-on-one, sometimes one-on-two, and so on. But always a single player character.
I think I've explained everything else in the documents I've attached. I can't pay anyone for either system, and the best I can do is remain in touch and give credit where credit is due.

Ideally, I'd love for it the battle script to involve a switch. Kind of like a nofight=True for when the fighting is over, and a switch to False when the fight is beginning. Also, a Spoils of War thing would be great. Anyway, I'm digressing.

So I'll stop waffling. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Obviously, Python & Screen Language would be far preferable. Versatility and all that. ^^v
I've amended the files a lot since first draft, cutting out everything that's not needed and as many numbers as I can. Anybody wants to know damage derivation calcs and escape chances, I'll be happy to fill you in.
Attachments
First System Shaved Down.txt
First (and ultimately more complicated) System, will be used for personal project
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Second Battle System Shaved Down.txt
Second (and less extensive) System, will be used for collaberation
(4.36 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Without communication, nothing is possible.
"All we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore"
-- Edgar Allen Poe, "A Dream Within A Dream"
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Raven Hollow (on hold for now)
Peace and Love,
Squark

squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)

Re: Battle System Coder Wanted!

#2 Post by squark »

Okay, here's a little more information.

First System Damage Calculation
Physical
Enemy Damage=(Enemy Defense-(Player Attack+Weapon Skill/2))
Player Damage=(Player Defense-(Enemy Attack * 1.5))
Enemies don't have Weapon Skills (but if you want to, I won't object. In that case the Player damage is calculated the same as Enemy Damage), so I gave them a Damage Modifier.
Minimum Damage received and dealt will always be 1. Never 0.

Magical
Spells have a fixed damage, boosted by the player's Arcane stat. Fireball is a simple example, so let's use that.
Fireball has a fixed damage value of 25.
Magic Damage=((Spell Fixed Damage + Arcane Stat/3)-Target Arcane Stat)
Stronger enemies should have access to magic as well. I realise dividing by three can be awkward, but bear in mind it's for balance purposes. Round down as needed.
Healing is done the same way, but the Arcane stat booster is quartered.
I stated in the shaved down information that using magic requires an Artefact to be equipped, even after the spell has been learned.

Escape Chance
This one is a little simpler to explain.
Escape Chance=Player Speed-Enemy Speed
That's it. Obviously, if the results is above 0, Escape is successful. Boss battles cannot be escaped. I'm an old schooler, so I believe in "Save often, and use as many slots as you can".

Second System (This one is a little more urgent)
Physical
Note that the player character's physical strike level increases as the story goes on.
Enemy Damage=(Enemy Defense-(Player Strength + Strike Level bonus))
Player Damage=(Player Defense-(Enemy Strength * 1.5))
Again, Minimum damage dealt is 1. Maximum damage dealth by the player is 100. Enemy Damage has no cap.

Magical
All Spells in this one have a fixed effect and damage, so an Arcane stat modifer is not necessary.

Escape Chance
Not an option in this system. Replaced with a "Surrender" option for I don't know why. It's not my idea. Ends the game.

Well, that's as much as I can give. With regards to special skills and spells in the first system, I'll give them to any interested parties.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

You should probably also mention if you plan on paying your coder for all of this work, and I'd so, how much.

You might also want to check out these people who have posted on recruitment as programmers:
Forsaken Productions: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=26491
Greeny: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=24352
Brianna: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=21776

I'm sure you can find more programmers in the recruitment thread...you are probably going to have to pay them something for their work though.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

squark
Veteran

#4 Post by squark »

Read the opening post again.
I wrote:I can't pay anyone for either system
I know that's why it's taking so long, but I can hope.
"All we see or seem

I stand amid the roar
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Peace and Love,
Squark