[CLOSED]We are looking for a background artist (unpaid).

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Balladsword

[CLOSED]We are looking for a background artist (unpaid).

#1 Post by Balladsword »

We are a group of people who live in the Netherlands. This is the first visual novel we are making and we are looking for a background artist. We do this just for fun so it's unpaid.

Story:
Our game is called Laurier (Dutch for Laurel. The rest of the game is in English). The game is about a boy named Fritz being pulled into a fantasy world which is laurisilva themed. It's not an ero-ero game. It does have a focus on character relationships but it won't go beyond friendship. The game is linear but making the wrong choices will lead to death, like Fate/stay night.

Gameplay:
The player can click on the background to interact with it and grab items from the background that effect the story, so the background artist must draw in multiple layers. The game has (invisible) timed menus and normal choices. The game has dating sim elements, there are 'day sections' in which the player chooses a place to visit. Most character in this section serve another purpose. One character gives you items you missed. Another character thinks your indebted to him and takes your items. There's only one character that explains what's going on in this world and serves as the player's guide, her name is Laurel.

Completed work on the project:
• Over 3000 words in the story (that's implemented in Ren'py)
• One character drawn (this person draws the characters: http://xshadowxwalkerx.deviantart.com/)
• Interfaces like: Textbox, Quick menu, Text History and pop-up windows for when you get an item (These were made before we decided on the theme, so they do need a makeover).
• 9 items are drawn for when the player picks them up.
• The structure of the game, we know how we are going to implement everything.

What we expect of the background artist:
The only thing we ask of you is that you can draw decent CG backgrounds in multiple layers. We want to give you as much freedom as possible, but there are some things we need to have in the background. We can't really tell you how many backgrounds we need yet, but we continuously try to keep it to a minimum. Some backgrounds are also more work than others, you will be drawing a plain wall but also an entire map of this world. We do not have deadlines, so take as much time as you need.
Last edited by Balladsword on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShatterMe

Re: We are looking for a background artist (unpaid).

#2 Post by ShatterMe »

Okay... But, if I'm not misunderstanding things, I believe there are easier ways... You're saying you need the artist to create various layers because certain layers could be clicked to interact with the background? If so, you should probably learn about image maps.

Balladsword

#3 Post by Balladsword »

It is done with image maps.

But to make the items disappear from the background and change the scene.

Code: Select all

screen bed2:
    imagemap:
        ground "bedroom.jpg"
        hotspot (69,70,114,767) clicked Jump ("kleren")
        hotspot (356,546,146,253) clicked Jump ("la")
        hotspot (351,237,60,128) clicked Jump ("note")

label stuff:
    call screen bed2

label kleren:
if iclothes:
    f "I must smell very manly right now."
    jump now
$ iclothes = True    
f "I change out of my pajama and put some clothes on."
f "Normally I would shower first,{w=0.2} but whatever."

jump now

label la:
if iknife:
    f "I don't have anything else in my drawers? {p=0.2}That can't be normal."
    jump now
$ iknife = True
show knife
with moveinright
f "It's my knife, I will take it with me."
f "Not to feel safe or anything like that,{w=0.2} just because."
hide knife
with moveoutright
jump now

label note:
if inote:
    f "I wonder if Cindy misses her notebook."
    jump now
$ inote = True
show notebook
with moveinright
f "O hey, notebook."
hide notebook
with moveoutright

jump now

label now:

f "Well then..."
menu:
    "let's go downstairs and see what's up.":
        jump plot

"my sister should be awake by now.":
        jump sister

"there's something else here.":
        jump stuff

Or is there something I don't now ?

ShatterMe

#4 Post by ShatterMe »

Well, I don't know a huge amount about image maps, and it's 2.31am here, so you're probably right unless someone else comes along with a lot more experience than either of us and says you're doing something wrong. Ignore what I said. What you're doing will probably work even if there are other ways of going about it anyway. I'd offer to do the art, but I'm still working on my artistry. Good luck. :)

Balladsword

#5 Post by Balladsword »

We are all a learning newbies, so don't worry about that.

We gladly accept your offer, expect a pm in the future.

Good luck to you too. (^-^)