I'm looking for a mentor.

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Emphony

I'm looking for a mentor.

#1 Post by Emphony »

Hi... I'm new to ren'py but I would like to learn more on how to program with it. I'm searching for a mentor, someone with experience programming, to help me get started.

I draw a bit but I'm not much of a writer. When it comes to creating a VN or any kind of video game I find that programming relaxes me. I've not done any programming in a long time though...

I've had some experience in working with Ren'py, java, c+/+, basic, and html... but it has been a long time ^^.

If you're interested in mentoring me please hit me up in a pm.

Thank you.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: I'm looking for a mentor.

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

This isn't really the sort of request that would usually fit into our Recruitment forum, but I'm going to make an exception here and allow it anyway since there's no real place elsewhere, and both our Asset Creation forums also have "develop your artistical/writing skills" threads.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#3 Post by Tyrantauranox »

As a refresher, I recommend installing the latest version of Ren'Py and playing through the included demo. After that, I'd create a copy of the demo project, open the demo script, and then rewrite it. When that all works, I'd change out the character sprites for some free/cc stuff for practice, then change the backgrounds and music. This is all for education, of course- but it leads into making new stuff for yourself.

desulishor
Regular
Completed: Project Dualis, Of Valkyries and Life
Projects: Project Scribble [on hiatus] Project Aivisu (WIP) Seven Seasons (WIP)

#4 Post by desulishor »

Well, if you check the Ren'py help section (just click on it on the ren'py client) you can find all sorts of tutorials and even copy-paste code snippets for some elements. All in all, Ren'py's language isn't even that hard to learn. What those tutorials don't really tell is of course how to take a project from start to finish... I.E. spinning out the idea, getting the art under way, actually fleshing out the characters and the story, how to work with people and so on...
(But I guess I'm going to let someone else take care of the whole mentoring thing, since i only know Renpy's basic stuff and have only 2 small projects finished to begin with.)

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

#5 Post by kisa »

You could also look up the Ren'Py Handbook.
It's a thing someone on the forums set up to help people unused to Ren'Py.
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656