Writer looking for work! - Closed

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
LiamExe
Regular
Projects: Locked Souls
itch: liamexe

Writer looking for work! - Closed

#1 Post by LiamExe »

Hey there! How is everyone today? This is my first post here after a few months of lurking, so I'm kinda nervous in introducing myself to this little ol' community. Be gentle!

After working on my own projects off and on for a while, I thought it might be fun to branch out and work with some other people around here - maybe get some experience and stuff with what it's like to work with a team.

Being as artistically challenged as I am (trust me, you do NOT wanna see what kinda eldritch horrors I've scribbled onto paper before) I find my strength lies in writing, dialogue, and all the other things that might be related to that medium. I'm also fairly competent in working with the Ren'py engine, and have no problems with placing in the script, adding in images/music/etc., implementing custom menus, and most other stuff in that regard. The only thing out of my reach is when things get more advanced and delve into the actual python coding side of things - I'm still trying to learn and get to grips with that.

As for what I write about - I feel fairly confident in writing a broad range of genres, from the more happy-go-lucky slice of life styled things, to the more gritty and violent things that may have a darker tone to them. So fluffy romance to gory horror, s'all good with me. There's not a lot I'll hesitate to write about, but if I feel something is definitely too extreme - even for me - I'll have to refuse so that I might keep whatever innocence I have left within me intact.

I have a couple of small examples of my writing and general style, taken from two VN projects I'm currently working on, so please excuse if they're a little rough around the edges and all. The first one is from something that's lighthearted in nature, and more slice of life than anything, while the second example is a bit more serious (though a good deal dated). They don't cover absolutely everything that I'm capable of, but I hope it gives you a good idea of what you can expect if you wish to work with me.

Example One - Example Two - Example Three

They're both taken straight out of their respective scripts, with most of the scripting around them ripped out to make it more readable, so some of the transitions might look a bit awkward or clumsy without them. If you feel these examples aren't enough, I can always dig around and put up a few more.

I guess that's me done then. It's your turn now!

While I can happily write with just the vaguest of characters, concepts and ideas, and can idea bounce when necessary, it'd be more ideal if you have a good deal of the project thought out in advance, knowing the exact direction you want it to go. I wouldn't want to spend a of effort on something only for someone to lose focus or become disinterested in it, making all my work go to waste after all. I'm looking to work with people that are truly serious and passionate about seeing this through to the end! That doesn't mean I'm against brainstorming stuff though, I just don't want people to expect me to come up with absolutely everything for them.

Oh, and of course, I happily write for free - assuming the project itself is going to be free. I guess we'd have to discuss things more if the project was going to be commercial.

I guess I've said all I have to say now. I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys and hope we can make some awesome projects!
Last edited by LiamExe on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Current Project--Writing Services [OPEN]

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

Re: Writer looking for work!

#2 Post by Laiska »

I don't have any work for you myself, but I like your style! Straightforward but evocative. Best of luck to you. :)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#3 Post by Fenrir34 »

I could definitely use some help in writing. I'm just doing the prologue for my game, and it's a bit hard by myself. Made me realize I need some others. I like you're style, and I even think you can help me improve :) . For more info go here http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=27882. I will say the game is likely going to be mature, but I'm not sure how you'd feel about that. If interested, pm me and we can talk :)

LiamExe
Regular

#4 Post by LiamExe »

Laiska wrote:I don't have any work for you myself, but I like your style! Straightforward but evocative. Best of luck to you. :)
Thank you very much! I appreciate the kind words, since I can't tell you how afraid I was of putting my work out there for all to see haha. It's pretty scary coming out of the shadows after spending so many years happily working on my own.
Fenrir34 wrote:I could definitely use some help in writing. I'm just doing the prologue for my game, and it's a bit hard by myself. Made me realize I need some others. I like you're style, and I even think you can help me improve :) . For more info go here http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=27882. I will say the game is likely going to be mature, but I'm not sure how you'd feel about that. If interested, pm me and we can talk :)
Your link seems to not want to work for me, but I'm intrigued anyhow. Mature themes aren't a problem, so don't worry there. Expect a PM soon!

dezert99
Projects: An Attempt at Reform

Re: Writer looking for work! - Open

#5 Post by dezert99 »

Hey! I pm'd you

LiamExe
Regular

Re: Writer looking for work! - Open

#6 Post by LiamExe »

Updated the main post with a new example!

It's something a little different from the previous two examples, being an excerpt from a story I've wrote rather than something taken from a VN script, but I thought I might as well try and get as many styles down as I can, just so people that are perhaps interested can see what else I can do.
Current Project--Writing Services [OPEN]