[EDIT] No longer looking for an artist

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
sea

[EDIT] No longer looking for an artist

#1 Post by sea »

EDIT: Eh, be back later.
Last edited by sea on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

lolwtfalicia

Re: Searching for an artist for a large project

#2 Post by lolwtfalicia »

Judging only by the facts that you are not telling us much about your project, and that this is your first post as a registered user on LSF, this thread is more of a recruitment thread than a development thread. Regardless of whether it is either of those types of threads, your prospective artists still need to know about their project. What makes you think they're going to spend their own time typing you out a PM or email if they're not sure they're even interested?

Firstly, just write a brief description; think about the descriptions on the inside of book jackets. It doesn't have to reveal your whole plot, but it should provide enough of a hook to get somebody interested. You also need to be upfront with what you mean by 'large project'. Do you mean 5 sprites or 10? More than 10? How many CGs and BGs? What kind of quality work are you expecting?

Secondly, as I stated before, this is your first post here. This tells us that you're uninterested in LSF as a community and more interested at the resources we can provide. That's perfectly alright for you to think that way, but its less likely to get you what you want. Also, had you been posting around, or at least lurking (and I can't tell whether you were or not), then you would understand that artists here (at least to the caliber that you appear to 'require') are either working on their own projects, or working on projects that they are being paid for. Any artist that would do this for free is either looking for practice (not what you want), or is being extremely generous (I guess that's what you want, but that still doesn't mean they're 'up to par'.)

What's more, still considering this is your first post, we don't know what you're like. Are you one of those newbies that aims for the sky and realizes they've taken on too much, or are you a seasoned vet? Are you likely to put your game on hiatus for whatever has captured your imagination most recently? Basically are you reliable?

Other than those things... You can either use some free, pre-made resources found on the wiki, or go on DeviantArt (or another art gallery site) to commission someone. Regardless of your decision I wish you good luck on your project and I hope you get what you need. (:

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

Not to sound like I actually care about other people's post counts, but isn't it kind of ironic that a person with 9 posts criticizes somebody else with 1 post for not having enough posts? ^_^;; I don't think there's supposed to be a pecking order here based on post count, so everyone should be free to make recruitment ads, regardless of how many posts they've made so far.

I do agree that providing information about the game would help greatly with recruitment efforts though. Even with an incredible recruitment poster, it's almost impossible to find an artist experienced with visual novels since the field is quite small. Also, you need to demonstrate your skills to make prospective artists feel like their abilities will not go to waste, and making a good recruitment advertisement is a pretty good way to begin to demonstrate that.

Jake
Support Hero

#4 Post by Jake »

Samu-kun wrote:Not to sound like I actually care about other people's post counts, but isn't it kind of ironic that a person with 9 posts criticizes somebody else with 1 post for not having enough posts? ^_^;;
Uh... they're not criticising the original poster, they're pointing out that having only a single post means they'll be looked upon with some suspicion. They're not wrong, so why does it matter how many posts they have themselves?

If 'lolwtfalicia' had been asking something of the community herself, then yes - it would be ironic. As it is, it's just a meaningless coincidence.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

lolwtfalicia

#5 Post by lolwtfalicia »

Lol. It is ironic because I had also previously asked something of the community. It didn't work. I feel that should enforce my opinion more, perhaps. But the fact of the matter is that if you're looking for a high-quality artists that will donate their work to your project, which they know next to nothing about, you're not going to find it here.

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

#6 Post by alberte »

For types of projects were people only have 1 posts.. in my experience they hardly check it..

just provide a little summary vaguely on what it is about..
how many sprites
and maybe i would be intrested
^o^