Artist available for commission!

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Kaorien
Projects: Consonance, Aquae ~Crystal Clear Waters~, Snow White & Red Rose, Devil Gene R, Summer Tales, "Japanese Adventure"

Artist available for commission!

#1 Post by Kaorien »

Hello! I'm (still) looking for some work and offering my services to VN makers. :3 I'm available as a sprite, cg, or bg artist, or colorist.

[ Updates ] Updated samples and open for slots again!

Samples:

Backgrounds
Image Image

Sprites

Full illustrations (possible CG/Coloring styles?)
Image Image
Image Image Image

Also attached to the post is a quickly done VN demo!

And you can see more of my work at my Portfolio, DeviantArt gallery, or sketchblog.

Conditions
→ I don't do explicit images.
→ VNs should interest me at least a little.
→ Keeping on contact with me and giving input is very much key. I will often send work in progresses to get feedback so I can adjust to your preferences.
→ I'm often busy with different projects or and jobs so I'll probably be best with small projects or at least given ample time to complete each image.

Price
Coloring 5 ~ 10 USD
Bust Sprites 5 ~ 10 USD
Half-body Sprites 10 ~ 20 USD (Additional costumes + 5 USD)
Knee Up Sprites 15 ~ 25 USD (Additional costumes + 5 USD)
Simple Backgrounds 15 ~ 20 USD
Complex Backgrounds 25 ~ 30 USD
CGs 20 ~ 25 USD

Prices are just base guidelines that are subject to change (higher or lower) with complexity and simplicity, even with what's listed, so it's best to consult on an image by image basis or at least over all style that you want. I am also open to negotiating if you're on a budget.

At the moment I'm really trying to focus on commissions which you can check out the price list and options here!

Projects I'm currently working on
"Japanese Adventure"
Devil Gene R
Summer Tales

Projects I've worked on
Aquae ~ Crystal Clear Waters~ (CG colorist)
Rose Red and Snow White (BG artist)
Consonance (BG artist)

Contact
Either commenting here, PMing me, or sending me a note through DA are all good ways to contact me!
Attachments
Kaoarts VN Sample-all.zip
Art Demo Sample
(19.11 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
Last edited by Kaorien on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 29 times in total.

dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: Offering Colorist

#2 Post by dstarsboy »

btw, you accidentally put a "t" at the end of your name on your Deviant Art link, so it doesn't work.

Great looking stuff! If I knew how to draw, I would totally have you color somepin for me!
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Kaorien
Projects: Consonance, Aquae ~Crystal Clear Waters~, Snow White & Red Rose, Devil Gene R, Summer Tales, "Japanese Adventure"

#3 Post by Kaorien »

Ah, I knew I'd do something like that since I was in a hurry to leave. Fix'd! Thank you for telling me. :3

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#4 Post by cloudyssky »

Wonderful stuff!
I have no use for a colorist at the moment, but I'm sure you'll be used right away!
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

Dark
Regular
Projects: Project 3Seasons

#5 Post by Dark »

Your work looks really good!

Hope you find someone who could use your talent.
Currently working on 1 VN

Story Concept - 100%
Screens - 10%
Character Design - 90%
Sprites - 0%
Scripts - 2%
BGM - 0%

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#6 Post by carosene »

Wow, you're very good! You came a couple of weeks too late for me, I just picked someone up. XD But I will probably be after you sooner or later.

Good luck! :D
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Kaorien

#7 Post by Kaorien »

cloudyssky, Dark Thank you! :3

carosene Such is my luck! Ahh, well~ I'll look forward to it? And thank you too!

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

#8 Post by Sakurazaki »

Contacted you on DA. :D
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

NatsukiDeath
Veteran
Completed: Life's....Complex
Projects: "Another Way VN" , "Phantom of the Opera VN" , "LoveChub?!"

#9 Post by NatsukiDeath »

Ever draw a theatre BG?

Kaorien

#10 Post by Kaorien »

I haven't o: but that looks gorgeous~

Starling
Regular
Completed: Rapunzel, Ishara: Bane of the Seas
Organization: Happy Backwards

#11 Post by Starling »

Your coloring is gorgeous! I've taken on coloring my own sprites, but I would love to have you on as a background artist, if you would not mind :D

The link to my game thread is in my siggy. It's mostly forest backgrounds with a couple in town and a couple involving a cottage and it's fairytale themed :) So if you're interested PM me~

Thanks~
Completed:
Rapunzel -- Fairy Tale Kinetic Novel
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

Kaorien

Re: Offering Artist (available)

#12 Post by Kaorien »

O-open for business again. D:

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#13 Post by Soraminako »

:shock: Where do you live or how fast do you draw that you can afford to price a sprite at only $5 and a full CG at only $15 and not have already died of starvation a long time ago??

Unless you happen to have any techniques for drawing at crazy high speed or anything like that that would explain how it might be possible... ? :shock:

(Not meaning to be rude in any way, by the way. I really hope it didn't come off that way. ^^;
I'm just shocked by how low you have set your prices, especially considering how nice the art is. It's way below its value.)
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

Kaorien

#14 Post by Kaorien »

Ah, should I charge for more? I'm seriously not good with pricing really. XD And I'm still living under my parents so I'm not in much of a rush to make a lot of money. As for how fast I can draw... it depends on what needs to be drawn/my motivation for it XD;

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#15 Post by Soraminako »

Kaorien wrote:Ah, should I charge for more? I'm seriously not good with pricing really. XD And I'm still living under my parents so I'm not in much of a rush to make a lot of money. As for how fast I can draw... it depends on what needs to be drawn/my motivation for it XD;
People will probably hate me if I ruin the nearly-free bargain by advising to charge more. XD *lol* But yes, you are very much underselling yourself.

If you don't need to pay for rent and food etc., and if your only interest in the game art is just gaining experience or having fun helping make games, it should be fine to have really low prices, but if you intend to sell your art, you should have a more fair price. Fair for yourself and fair for the others.

If anything also because when young artists offer their art for token prices like that, it makes art as a whole have low value. As a direct result, when artists who live of their art offer their services for normal prices needed for survival, people don't buy it, since they can buy instead the art sold at near-free prices by young artists still living at their parents' and not needing to pay for rent & food.
So it becomes a bit of a vicious cycle that lessens the value of art on the long run and make that skilled artists can't offer their art for such projects since the prices wouldn't be competitive. Often clients will even demand the below-survival pricing because they've seen art for that price and don't realize it's not possible for people to work and survive with it at that price. (Unless of course they live in a country with en extremely low cost of life, but even that has its limits.)

The rule for art pricing is to calculate how long it takes you to do each type of art, and how much money you would need to pay for rent, food, bills etc. (In your case you don't have to pay for those things yet, but just imagining how much that might be when you're on your own). Then, you calculate how much art you would be able to produce per day/week/month, based on how fast you could draw (hence having calculated the time for each type of art first), and you divide your monthly survival costs by how much art you would be able to produce in that period. In the end, you should obtain the amount you can charge.
However, of course, we don't have people commissioning us permanently to draw art all day long, so you have to adjust the price up a bit to be enough to survive of what commissions you get, even if you're not getting commissions all the time.
If you work as a freelance artist, little by little you get experience and learn to figure out how many clients hire you per month on average, and then you can adjust your prices much more easily.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, and I realize you don't quite need to think of it in such detail just yet since you're still living with your parents, but as a fellow artist I thought the information might be useful for you, if not for now then at least for later if you decide to stick with art professionally.
It's actually good to start free-lancing while you live at your parents', since otherwise you wouldn't know for sure ahead of time whether you can stand on your own/have enough clients to pay rent etc. every month, until you've done it for a bit and gotten used to it all.

I'm not sure what the average pricing in the forums here is because most tend to prefer to negotiate by PMs etc. rather than show their prices, but yours are definitely too low for survival.

If, like I was saying, you just intend to have fun making games and don't really need the money, it's not a big problem, but you might want to either adjust the prices or simply put a warning or a note when you offer your services saying that's why the prices are like that, so that it doesn't looks like that's the standard price everyone has. Otherwise it would do a disservice to the other artists.
It's okay to give your art out for free or almost free as long as you make sure to warn people that it's because you're in it for the fun and not for survival, just so that they know not to demand such prices of people who are working/need it for survival.

Again, sorry for the wall of text. ^^; Hopefully it might have been of help at least a bit. Just some advice from an artist to another.
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)