[RockRobin] Character Writers

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

[RockRobin] Character Writers

#1 Post by Aleema »

RockRobin needs writers! And another editor, why not!
I'll make an official request that's not just in my thread.

I'm looking for volunteers to write for characters that can become your band members in the game.
These characters include but are not limited to: Alessandro, Bruno, Jammy, Joel, Natasha, Marcus, and Owen.

Most of these characters already have some of their personality or plot worked out, so it should be easier to write for them. The problem is I simply cannot write them all personally without dragging this out longer than it should be.

These characters would need cutscenes for when your friendship level with them rises. These scenes can include whatever subject matter you want, but it needs to be Robin's first person POV (so getting to know her is helpful, but I'll help) and should develop that particular character. Whether it's just a collection of fluff scenes or has an overarching plot that comes to a climax and conclusion is up to you. They also need an introduction scene for when Robin meets them, a scene for when they're actually recruited, and one when they're fired from the band.

None of these characters can romance Robin. They are allowed to have friendships and romances with other members, but let's not overdo it. =P

I also need writers for fake forum topics, which are two person text exchanges on the fake forum inside the game that comments how you're playing the game. Details here.

I need writers who ...
... are comfortable with strong language or adult themes.
... will actually write scripts. Ideas and plot outlines are great and may help me be motivated to write it, but as I said before, this is really more a time management thing so I actually need help writing the characters. Meaning, dialogue and cutscenes will be written so that I or someone else can edit them and put them in the game.
... are comfortable with having Open Ended Mode "spoiled" for them. What little plot there is will be revealed, and you will be working in an environment where you could look up any Open Mode character at your discretion. (Nothing will be forced on you, though.)
... will not make all the characters gay as soon as you get a hold of them.
... will not make new band members (you're just making the problem worse: ONE MORE DAMN PERSON TO WRITE), or create tons of extra characters for band members' stories willy nilly, since art is costly.
... doesn't mind creative input on your work or letting me have the final edit of the scripts. You may also be required to collaborate with other writers who have characters that will interact with yours.
... can start work soon and stay active for the next couple months.
... played the demo in its entirety.

All that said, I'm just being a nazi here so I don't disappoint myself or players. I'm just looking for help, and if you genuinely want to help, I genuinely want you to. Let's make an awesome game together!

In return, I'll ...
... make sure your work isn't compromised and put in the best light, and I will work my hardest to give them proper scripting (graphics, music, sfx, etc).
... credit you way too much.
... let you have creative control over the character, to an extent you don't completely reverse them.
... help you fill in holes, and help with anything else that needs to be done to complete your character.
... let you have all expansions and extra content for freez.
... make sure your work shows up in a completed, well-done game.

To help you see if you'd be interested writing one of these characters, here's some tidbits about them:
Alessandro
Picked up a bass guitar to impress his girl crush. The girl has since turned him down, but hey, at least he got kickass bass skills out of it. He comes from a big family so he has a reserved personality.
Bruno
Known for his devil may care attitude, Bruno is built, Hispanic and just general badass. He's currently running with a gang, as he has been for a long time, but it's starting to take a toll on him as his younger sibling wishes to follow in his footsteps.
Jammy
Spunky drumming daughter of a Yakuza boss. She adores Robin for whatever reason, perhaps a little too much. Her father wishes to see her become a good bride, but this out of control girl can't even take care of herself!
Joel
First generation immigrant from Bosnia who's overwhelmed by loud people and tries to defeat the drummer stereotype at every turn by randomly spouting intelligent facts and quotes. He is also gay.
Natasha
Exactly who you think she is. Elegant, but vain. But also a single mother who needs to learn how to raise a kid and do what she loves. Loves shopping clothes, gossiping, and is quick to change moods. She's scared of growing old alone at her age, thinking that life surely ends at 30.
Marcus
Playful guy. Like Emmitt, his forte is working the crowd and does outlandish, unpredictable things on stage. Stage-diving or breaking your guitar is cliche to him, so expect him to do something you won't forget. He was the first born, and considered a musical prodigy with how quickly he picked up after his father, the famous drummer called the Spyder.
Owen
Fatherly and loyal. He loves to crack jokes and tease Robin, but isn't afraid to scold her. He grew up with Robin in a foster home so they're like brother and sister. He is engaged to a woman named Tracy, who runs the bar he works at.
If you're serious, let me know, maybe PM your ideas to me. You will have to join the game's forum so you can get access to the Writer Pool. I'll have to upgrade your account for that to happen, though.

Please don't apply if you just want to read the scripts early and don't actually want to contribute. o_O
Last edited by Aleema on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

Re: [RockRobin] Character Writers, Editor

#2 Post by sheetcakeghost »

As an added bonus you won't be writing them all by your lonesome. Starling and I are also on the open end mode writing team. I can't totally speak for Star, but I'm always around to lend a hand except when I'm not.

Starling
Regular
Completed: Rapunzel, Ishara: Bane of the Seas
Organization: Happy Backwards

#3 Post by Starling »

I am also on hand :D Totally. It would be amazing to get more writers in on this so please if you have the time, consider it. GIVE BRUNO SOME LOVE PICK HIM HE IS AWESOME XD~ I developed him but with school and the chibis and the character that I have to finish writing before I could get to him(Claudette) there is no way I'd be able to write him. I would help a ton though :D

And I swear it's also a lot of fun :D Robin is awesome to write from the point of view from.

:3
Completed:
Rapunzel -- Fairy Tale Kinetic Novel
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Riviera »

I can definitely help edit if you don't mind or still need one.

I'm fairly dedicated to it, and was actually thinking of writing up a post to help people edit/proofread better.

Good to hear about the suggestions, I always worry if I should suggest anything or not. I'm a worrier and hate to step on toes.

If I ever say or do anything overly prideful or annoying, there is always an open invitation to simply give me a kick in the butt. I should put that in my sig, but I get the feeling it'd be like putting a kick me sign on my back. :lol:

I have fully played the demo a few times, but not recently so I will have to get on that!

Resume.. umm. All I can really offer is that I got A's in English, have proofread/edited a few games here, and helped write for three game mods in the past.

I have no problems with strong language or adult themes, having played some pretty bloody big examples of both in the past.

Yep, I'm a native speaker!

Also, for people worried about writing:

I have written for fanmods in the past, and it can be hard having your writing filtered through another person, but in the end I think it's an overall positive experience. You can possibly get a few blows to the ego when something you worked hard on isn't quite right, but this'll help you write better in the end!
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#5 Post by Snowflower »

Meh, I tried to make an account of the forum page, but I feel like a retard for not figuring out how to make one. :/
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#6 Post by Megumi »

Uh. This is bad. I want to write Jammy so hard. XD

*Meg and her fascination for strong, eccentric females.*

How long is supposed to be the story? I really want to write that girl, but I don't know how much time I can give to this.

Besides, though I consider myself as excellent in English, I'm no native speaker, would that be a problem?
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

GARLICBREAD

#7 Post by GARLICBREAD »

You said Marcus. I'm interested. The only problem is that I'm best at discussing ideas (I still write though) and I like to throw in a lot of stupid situations for fun (as long as it's permitting). I'm usually always around though so if worst comes the worst you can bug me constantly. :V

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Aleema »

> AHHH. I turned off site registration last week and I totally forgot! (I was getting spambots and I didn't feel like fighting them.) Registration is now working.

> Writers don't need to be native English, only editors do. And we'll all be there to help anyway. :)

> Length of what you write for the characters is not an issue. Something needs to be written, and it's one more thing than I or anyone else has done. I'm completely available to finish incomplete scenes or write the missing ones. I know school is going on right now, and that's definitely more important, so whatever you can give me is great. I would like at least 3 friendship cutscenes, and intro, recruitment, and fire scene. Any band meeting chats you could write, too, would help me tons.

> Thanks Sen and Star for showing your support! The Writer Pool is a fun gang.

@Riviera: Wow, thank you. That's the type of editor application post I was looking for. :D That's how miki got the job, too. If you're sure you're okay with having the plot lines "spoiled" for you and the game turned into a "chore", I would like to have you on board. And these are mostly first drafts, or let's just say drafts, so if anything sucks you need to tell us and giving suggestions would be great.

@Snowflower: fixed, sorry! >_<

@Megumi: I don't have a word count minimum or something. She just needs to talk and breathe and be real instead of just being a picture in the game you know? I don't care how short her story or conversations are, so long as they exist. I'm also very willing to collaborate and help pick up any slack. I'm glad you're interested in a character, and I hope you stay interested in her once you learn more about her. (She has a detailed post about her biography and such that you can change as you need, while not completely compromising Lace's original vision for her.)

@GARLICBREAD: Haha, yeah, Marcus is pure temptation. I'd love to have a crazy ideas slingin' person, especially for Marcus, since he's a vibrant guy. He's getting older and learning that it might be time to learn responsibility ... but he wants to stay young forever. How that's handled is up to his writer. If you have stupid situations for other chars, that would be fun too. We'd like to see heavy character interaction (depending on who's in your band), which we've been putting off because a lot of characters weren't developed yet.

Snowflower, Megumi, GARLICBREAD, if you're still interested, I can PM you the character's information and see if you'd still like to work with them. If so, I'll let you into the Writer Pool on the game's forum. I'm assuming, in order, you'd be interested in Owen (helping with Marcus maybe), Jammy, and Marcus.

I've also received a PM about Joel.

That leaves Alessandro, Bruno, and Natasha. If these writers come through. ^^;

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#9 Post by Megumi »

I would love to do so. I actually just ask a word count to have an idea of how much I need to develop the relationship. A really big one would make the discussion need much more finesse and thoughts in it, taking more time from Love Buffet. :3

PM me the information. I'll register in the forum right now. =) I hope I'll not disappoint you with my writing.
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#10 Post by Snowflower »

Aleema wrote: That leaves Alessandro, Bruno, and Natasha. If these writers come through. ^^;
Since Marcus sounds like the ones other people would like to write about the most, I shall pass on the opportunity to write about him...

for I have found a new found love in Alessandro <3 :wink:

& I'm still game for Owen too
Last edited by Snowflower on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Riviera »

Sure! I can't really see this game becoming a chore. Even when I've had to really intensively proofread, it's been kind of a labor of love more than a chore. Recently, I helped a few ESLs with proofreading, so I've started trying to sit down and write WHY a grammar suggestion was made instead of just saying "This is wrong."

Took a lot longer but it was kinda fun. :)
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Aleema »

If you're interested in Alessandro, sake-bento was his creator and may pop in to make sure her vision is going okay. :)

@Riviera: That's awesome. I agree 110%. Love what you do, enjoy helping others, etc. I've proofed some papers in my day, and I make sure I never just go "this is wrong" and help explain myself. I have no doubt you'll do well with this job.

I'll make sure to edit this thread so that I no longer need an editor. :)

GARLICBREAD

Re: [RockRobin] Character Writers

#13 Post by GARLICBREAD »

I'd be glad to do it as long as I can discuss things with other people! If I don't I'll probably get lost or run out of ideas or something. I'm very interested. Just PM me and I'll join the forum.

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#14 Post by Elze »

The characters I'm interested in are taken (Joel and Marcus) QuQ I'm always too slow. /stabs self
If the writers for either of these 2 characters would enjoy having suggestions or someone reviewing their writing, I'll be happy to partake. C:
"None of these characters can romance Robin" ...does this mean all of those desirable bachelors up there (especially Marcus) are actually non-dateable characters? ;A;

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Aleema »

What makes you think they're bachelors? =P Hope you don't hate the game because you can't date Marcus ... ;_;
You boy hogs.