Freelance artist group for hire

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Mickychi
Veteran
Projects: Current: Prologue: Caged Bird

Re: Freelance artist group for hire

#31 Post by Mickychi »

[quote="komicer"]@Mickychi. Sorry but it seems that the sprites you are refering to are pixel art which we got no experience in. While we can give it a shot, do know that we have never done it before!

@Fawn. Thanks! I hope so too.[/quote]

Ah okay just asking
Check out my WIP Prologue: Caged Bird!

Mickychi
Veteran

#32 Post by Mickychi »

This is just a question but Komicer can your group do backgrounds?

komicer
Regular

#33 Post by komicer »

charliewillson25 wrote:I have no experience as freelance artist. I am 19 and want to start as freelance career. Could someone please explain the process of becoming a freelance artist and how to get paid to me?

freelance artist
Hello there. I suspect you are a spam bot but any free bumps for my thread is good in my books.

For one thing, if you want to go into a freelance career, I suggest you start saving and planning for your future. Ideally, what you do must be able to feed yourself and pay your bills. So start calculating how much you need to earn per month in order to live a decent, bourgeoisie life and then work backwards. That way, you will know how much you should be charging your clients. If you are afraid of charging high because of lack of confidence in your skills, then go and grind more before coming back. If the client cannot afford you, that should be their loss. Not yours. Not all leads will result in something. I've gotten a fair share of leads going cold here but the one lead that I got, I really like.

Always have a contract that states clearly the roles between you and your client. And never start work before been paid. I personally prefer to have at least 50% upfront pay first but that's just me. I think most clients are more comfortable with 20 to 30%.

I hope this advice will be useful for you, maybe-a-spam-bot and to anyone else who is reading this thread. If you are not a spambot, why not join my Facebook page. We like to fill it with news of our upcoming activities and pretty pictures!

On another note, the team is currently working with za Chief in making his Visual Novel, 'Dreams of the Skies' pretty. He has posted samples of our artworks on this thread

and on his blog.

We are rather slow on it, I'm so sorry, but we will get it done soon and I hope everyone will like it. I for one, hope that I can one day read it on my nifty android tablet *hint hint* That should also show you guys that we don't just draw cute girls. We draw bishis too.
Mickychi wrote:This is just a question but Komicer can your group do backgrounds?
And yes. We do background too. I don't have any background work that I can show but yes, we can.
Collateral Damage Studios
Website / Facebook / Twitter

Mickychi
Veteran

#34 Post by Mickychi »

Cool okay so then here's another question what is the basic amount you charge for a background?

komicer
Regular

#35 Post by komicer »

Hello there! Our fees varies depending on how we perceive the complexity of the artwork to be. May I suggest you email or PM me with the specific details to what you want and the quantity of what needs to be drawn? Then I will reply you with the specific quotation. Please also include your budget~

Mickychi
Veteran

#36 Post by Mickychi »

I send you a message by email please reply soon

komicer
Regular

#37 Post by komicer »

Replied! Thanks for the email and good luck with your project~

komicer
Regular

#38 Post by komicer »

And... our first work with a visual novel is finally done! Dreams of the Skies by KomiTsuki.

Bishies, Pretties and a rather different stylistic approach from our norm. Yea, we can do more than just 'moe'. It took longer than I would have liked and personally, I thought my artists could have done better. But the two artists involved had to answer the carrion call of tertiary education.

Seeing the final product on my computer screen, there's a real sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. We did what we can within the limited amount of time and we pull it off somehow. What we don't like, we'll probably come back and make edits in the future. Kudos to KomiTsuki for your infinite patience, self-depreciating humor and willingness to be frank. We would love to work with you again. I also really hope to be able to play this on my wonderful Android Honeycomb tablet which also happen to be able to run Renp'y~ *hint*

And for everyone else, if you want quality stuffs, email us at komicer@collateralds.com. Otherwise, you can follow us on Facebook or Twitter (@collateralds) to see what we are up to! Go download 'Dreams of the Skies'! It's a lovely story~

komicer
Regular

#39 Post by komicer »

It has been a long, long while since I last posted here. We have not been doing a lot of stuffs on VN but we have been busy. Doing the occasional commercial work and plenty of doujin art. So just to share some of the random artworks that we have done so far.

And something really epic. We managed to arrange for a close encounter with a seiiyu.
First, my artist did this tribute image which went viral on the internet. Including Crunchyroll, some Spanish website and some Japanese website.

Then through sheer luck and plenty of talking, we managed to be part of an official interview with Chiwa Saito, And then we gave her the artwork. Moment of glory, according to those present.

So there you have it. Our little adventure. And we intend to have plenty more of those in the future!

Back to something more relevant. I'm heartened to see that new thread on 'how to hire an artist'. I'm totally in support with what's mentioned in there. Credits is expected, even if we are getting paid for our work. As artists, we try to do our part in making your VN as visually attractive as possible. When we give comments or advice on our part, as paying clients, you have the right to reject them. But you really should take what we say into serious consideration first without dismissing it immediately. We are not superhuman either and most of the time, we are juggling multiple projects at one time. Drawing is not magic. It is not an instant process and you need to give a reasonable deadline.

That's it for now. Till the next time, I got an excuse to make a new post! Be sure to visit our Facebook page or official website. Drop me an email at komicer@collateralds.com if you ever want to ask about anything.

komicer
Regular

#40 Post by komicer »

Oh my. It has been almost one year since I last logged in. Just a quick update about what the team has been up to. We have put together an illustration artbook featuring the original art and commissioned works the artists have done.

Titled 'Superscenic 2', it is a hardcover, all colored illustration book with 80 pages of pretty pictures (and text courtesy of yours truly). We have a Southeast Asian distributor but we're still sourcing out a distributor for the West. For now, those of you interested can drop me an email 'komicer@collateralds.com' to order it direct from us.

Check out some of the works by our artists on Tumblr! Semi-Shigure/Geister and WaHa are very active there.

On the VN side, it has been quiet. Then again, it's the year we are refocusing our own doujin projects and of course, the illustration book. We could use more VN-based experience / portfolio. Anyone who wants to hire us can just drop us a mail. We might not be cheap but we can assure you that we are good in what we do.

komicer
Regular

#41 Post by komicer »

Our latest achievement. Designing a 'mascot' of sorts for Internet Explorer. Don't like the good ol' E? That's fine. You can just like the character for herself. Aizawa was imagined to be clumsy but earnest when she was young. And much more elegant and efficient now with what MS had said about the improved IE.

Along with the character design, we've gotten wallpapers done which you can download through the CDS Facebook page. And voicepack. Don't forget the lovely voicepack by pickle131.

Feel free to download the themepack and hope you like it!

AWSalmon
Regular
Projects: The Human Reignition Project
Organization: AlienWorks Productions

#42 Post by AWSalmon »

My group contacted Collateral about a year ago looking to hire a CG artist. We didn't end up going for it, but they're really nice guys. Professional but not uptight. A good bunch to do business with if you can swing it.
"We have cars that drive for us, services that shop for us, devices that speak for us, machines that clean and cook and work for us. You can't say that removing these things from our daily lives has no effect on the way we interact. As I speak, how many of you are working, or communicating with someone else? Could we do that twenty years ago? Ten? Society has changed very slowly throughout the course of human history, but in the span of only two generations, there have been more technology-driven societal advances than we can count."

"People everywhere are able to talk to others clear on the other side of the world, and we do this at the expense of interacting with others around us. We have our heads buried so deeply in our technology that we ignore our surroundings. Society is stretched far beyond what should be possible, thanks to technology. We have friends in other countries while we have strangers in our own homes."

The Human Reignition Project
AlienWorks.Recruiting@gmail.com

komicer
Regular

#43 Post by komicer »

Character design, key animation and directed by WaHa of CDS. Produced by CDS.

Of course, animation should be way out of everyone's budget... so we can still do illustrations and character design.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#44 Post by Alera »

Whoah, that was you guys??? *A* Amazing!!! I loved that little IE animation~
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

komicer
Regular

#45 Post by komicer »

Just completed another manga project for our local state agency. Always out to spice up boring messages on corporate law with some romance. Sure, the legal bits are a mood killer but we try our best. Go download it here: http://bit.ly/Fusedmanga

This is not the first time we did comics for them and hopefully, won't be the last time either. The rest of the comics can be found here: http://bit.ly/CCSManga

Image Image

Our fees are probably more suitable for commercial VNs but... feel free to go like our FB!