Sekai Project: Experiences and Observations

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Xanedis
Projects: Project LB
Tumblr: xanedis
Deviantart: Xanedis

Sekai Project: Experiences and Observations

#1 Post by Xanedis »

So I have a couple of questions about Sekai Project, since our team has to consider trying to get published by them in the future(that's in the future, true - but one has to plan ahead).

Has your story been published by Sekai Project? How was it to work with them? What did they offer? What did you have to offer in return? Did you lose any rights(ownership over your work, for example)? If you managed to get your game all the way to Steam or some other platform, how many copies did you sell(you don't have to answer this one if you don't want to)? Do you feel like Sekai Project's marketing helped your game's sales? How much did it help? Does Sekai Project handle translations(for example, from English to Japanese) so that your game can reach new racial demographics? Finally, did you manage to keep yourself(and your company) afloat with the sales revenue?

And if you have a long story to tell about working with Sekai Project, please, I'd love to hear it(and I bet that others would, too).

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Re: Sekai Project: Experiences and Observations

#2 Post by Morhighan »

Hey there, a lot of these questions have the potential to veer into Breaching NDA territory, so it's possible that folks might not answer here on a public forum. In addition to that, every project is different, so there won't be a single answer for anyone.
I recommend looking into self publishing VS using a publisher as a whole, and then contacting Sekai Project personally and feeling them out yourself for your individual project. SP will be able to answer your questions much better than others can, since various experiences can be colored by biases.
I'm sure this isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but having your project ready and doing research on publishing ahead of time will benefit you greatly. Best of luck! :)

Xanedis
Projects: Project LB
Tumblr: xanedis
Deviantart: Xanedis

#3 Post by Xanedis »

Ah, it never crossed my mind that there could be NDA concerns, but it is obvious in hindsight. *rolls eyes* I agree, I'll continue working on our stuff then, and will contact Sekai Project once our project is in a presentable state, feeling them out and seeing what their game is.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4 Post by Morhighan »

No problem! NDAs aren't always at the forefront of my mind either. :) If you do end up talking to folks who work with them, you can ask if they like it, I suppose! Just nothing super specific.