Parents in VNs

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

Re: Parents in VNs

#31 Post by pondrthis »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:And I really like the idea of a VN where you play the parent trying to keep your promiscuous teenager from hooking up with people you don't approve of. That could be a great game, especially if it was done as a comedy. Parent goes undercover at the school, or hides in bushes following along, volunteers to work at the school to stay close, sabotages the teen at home, arranges meetings with the preferred partner without their child's knowledge, spreads rumors, etc.

Where's clannadman? A better Clannad spin-off than Okazaki Naoyuki's story would be you play as Akio pwning guys who hit on Nagisa.

Edit for those uninformed: it'd be a VN expansion of this scene.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#32 Post by LVUER »

@LateWhiteRabbit:
Yep, I know we've seen all of them in other works (that's why there's a quote "Originality is an illusion"), but some are more often while others are still rare.

Still, there's no harm in using excuse that still haven't been used to often. Or simply finds an interesting excuse why his/her parents isn't around...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#33 Post by Snowflower »

Parents being around, again, goes back to what time period you set your VN in

-The classic period: Parents play a HUGE role in the child's disciplinary time. Therefore, it's normal for them to be around. However, in some cases, like if the parents have been executed and the child becomes an orphan... well, there's really no parent for her. I also see a lot of grandparents taking care of the MCs in many animes/mangas as well.

-modern: busy parents, almost never alone. present only when the child is asleep, traveling constantly... that seems to be the trend.

All in all, if the story flows nicely with any of the redundant parents' story, I really don't mind the parents not being there
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Wolfzau
Projects: Unnamed Commercial Project

#34 Post by Wolfzau »

I don't see why people just don't go with "My parents work nights."

It's a hell of a lot more realistic, my father does this and when I was growing up the only time I usually saw him was an hour before I went to bed.

As other people have said before me, if it's not integral to the story either don't mention it or at least think of something plausible.