Web Sites

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Web Sites

#1 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I just added the last few new Ren'Py titles to the Ren'Py page.

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/

Hopefully, I didn't miss anyone, but if I did, please let me know. One thing I noticed is that many of the latest wave of games do not have web pages associated with them.

I do hope that all the creators of games eventually do make web pages for their games. It's not overly hard, and provides a place where people can go to get information about the game. (I occasionally get emails from people who play my game, for example.)

Just because I upped the forum attachment limit to 50mb doesn't mean it should be used as a substitute for getting real hosting for your game.

(Just venting a little... and it's quite possible I've missed web sites for released games. If that's the case, please tell me.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Actually, about the forum attachment, how do you "manage" your attachments? Being the neat boy that I am ^_^, I've already deleted the patch for Idol/TYPE, since it's not really relevant anymore, but is there something like an attachment manager where one could see all his attachments like in a PM-box? Hmmm, got to clean the PM-box as well... :P

As for attaching full games, when they are mirrored at renai.us, isn't it the same server then? Which means, it's kind of twice on the same hard drive...

I sure miss a web page for the games though. Since renai.us was made to help hosting the games, I think it's perfectly acceptable if there's just a webpage, not the actual download on it, since many of the free hosting services won't let you put zip/archive files on their servers. But a simple page with a project description and some screenshots and links... why not?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

I don't think there is an attachment manager, so you'd have to go back and find posts that you attached things to for that to work.

Right about twice on the same hard drive, although there are some tricks I can do to ensure the data takes up only 1x the space. (Hard links.) I haven't done that yet, though, due to a lack of need.

Whenever my PM-box threatens to be full, I just up the quota.
(So if anyone else has that problem, let me know.)

We're actually doing fairly good with disk space (all told, our server shinobu is using 4.1 gb of a 10 gb virtual drive), and I could fairly easily double the space available if it became necessary. (After doing that we'd need to worry.)

That 4.1 gb includes renai.us, lemmasoft.renai.us, bishoujo.us, and everything else the server is used for. The forums + archives are just over half a gig, although they account for the bulk of server traffic. b.us is about 366 MB... largely accounted for by the archive of old versions available for download.

At this point, I'd rather have a complete and accurate history of the forums (for when historians celebrate us all for bringing a new art form to the English-speaking world), rather than to worry about strictly minimizing disk space. As long as people don't post large, frivolous files, we should be fine for the forseeable future (say, the next year or two).
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

Re: Web Sites

#4 Post by Alessio »

PyTom wrote:I do hope that all the creators of games eventually do make web pages for their games.
Okay, got the hint! ^_^ You can find my new Visual Novel page for GO! Magical Boy here: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~sapoal/visnovel.html. I've also updated the discussion thread in the "Completed Ren'ai Games" section.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:I don't think there is an attachment manager, so you'd have to go back and find posts that you attached things to for that to work.
OMG there is one! I just found it, when you're logged on, you click on your member name anywhere in the topics list, or in the member list, or click the Profile *button* (not the link up on the page where you change preferences) - and voila ^_^ - User Attachment Control Panel

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#6 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -