Reasons for Game Creation Failure (and how to overcome?)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Reasons for Game Creation Failure (and how to overcome?)

#31 Post by Aleema »

Taleweaver wrote: 3. The Pilgrim's Path
Or: The Loyal Kinsman part 2. ... I had an entire plotline for this game and an entire set of characters, but I failed to interest any artist I talked to, except for one, and that guy said yes and then disappeared without answering any e-mails. (To the credit of the LSF, he's not from around here.)
But I ... I loved Loyal Kinsman! D: This failure is an artists fault? Why didn't you use pre-existing medieval images like you did the previous game? This makes me sad.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#32 Post by Taleweaver »

Aleema wrote:Why didn't you use pre-existing medieval images like you did the previous game? This makes me sad.
I wanted to do this right. I wanted to do a quasi-medieval style, but with original art, so that it looked like illustrations in a book from that period (called "illuminations", by the way) and was hoping for an artist who could copy that style, but there was none who felt interested. I even contacted a German artist who draws pictures woodblock-style, and she mostly does fantasy art, but she didn't like the idea that she "only" drew the characters and had no influence on the story. And this isn't a project I needed a co-writer for.

Well, maybe in a year or so, when ADRIFT is finished and my next writing job is done, I may think about completing The Pilgrim's Path. And if you're interested, why don't you do the art then? ;)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Friendbot2000
Regular
Projects: Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing

#33 Post by Friendbot2000 »

[qoute]
Wall of Shame

5. Unseen
Another project that's probably better off dead: The narrator of the story is a man in his late thirties who stalks a sixteen-year-old girl. The tale is told entirely from the perspective of the stalker, making this a very unsettling game. I wrote two chapters and then decided I didn't want to go down in history as LSF's local pedophile, took the twist idea from it (the stalker is actually not real but only exists in the mind of the girl, who suffers from paranoia) and made The Dreaming.[/quote]

I wouldn't have thought you were a pedophile. I actually think that would be an interesting idea. Kind kf like an insight to the mind of an obsessed criminal or something like that. Still, you turned it into something you were more comfortable with, which is good.

I am really afraid my current project, Circus Circus is too ambitious for my current life obligations of full time work + an internship + fulltime school, but I still find time for it somehow. I just hope I don't lose steam, but I am dedicated to the project. I wont give up even if it takes me two years to complete it!
Visit my game development group's Facebook page : Timekeeper Games
Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing Facebook Page
Follow our Twitter feed too : TK Games